Dahua 4K PTZ DH-SD8A820WA-HNF

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nicely done. I haven't got a PTZ camera before but can anyone explain the idea behind PTZ cams? I assume the motion detection for PTZ cams are different to bullet/regular cams as it constantly rotates in 360 degrees to detect action?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The PTZ cameras can pan, tilt, and zoom. They can respond to presets based on the motion detection rules (i.e. IVS) laid out by other cameras in the vicinity. Some of the PTZ models have built in autotracking to follow the subject around within its field of view. The PTZ can work independently of other cameras, but is not necessarily a replacement for fixed cameras. A PTZ works best with other fixed cameras in its vicinity. If you use the PTZ camera solely, then it may not capture everything in its field of view depending on how its setup based on its response times.

Nicely done. I haven't got a PTZ camera before but can anyone explain the idea behind PTZ cams? I assume the motion detection for PTZ cams are different to bullet/regular cams as it constantly rotates in 360 degrees to detect action?
[/QUOTE]

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Delete this part as I have made yet another change to IVMS-4200.

Also this Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-I2/8P was having trouble adjusting to the new 8MP camera. It worked fine until I started making changes to the night setting. I had to unplug the camera from the NVR and plug it into my LAN line for the address change and make the changes through the Dahua tool box. For some reason plugging and unplugging the camera into the NVR caused it to have problems and even shut off a couple of my 4MP cameras. So I rebooted the NVR with the 3 cameras not hooked up. Then I went back through the two 4 MP cameras and made sure audio was off and no subtreams. Plugged them in one at a time and all was fine. For the 8MP PTZ I lowered it to 2MP for a test. It came up just fine. I left it that way for a day. Then I changed it back to 8MP and now is all working. No more changes for it. :)

Next up will be the DH-SD5A425XA-HNR when it gets here. I think my NVR is limited to 32 MP. I am currently at 28MP so I can only upgrade two more cameras 2MP cameras to 4MP.

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you checked how many megabits you are using as I see your NVR does the below.
Max: Megabits per second (Mbps) - 80

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Doing a little research I came across this statement.

"NVRs will state their maximum incoming bandwidth capabilities on datasheets, for example, the DS-7608NI-K2/8P's maximum is 80 Mbps. This means that it would struggle to record 8 x 8MP cameras using H.264 codec as they would need a total bandwidth of 92 Mbps. However, it would be more than capable to record 8 x 8MP cameras with both H.265 and H.265+. "

Right now everything is stable so I will continue to upgrade my system. I am using H.265 on my cameras and it maybe takes up maybe 5/8 as much bandwidth as H.264 which I think the ratings of the NVR are shown in.

As of this morning my DH-SD5A425XA-HNR camera is still stuck in Hong Kong. No movement for 6 days. Maybe they are waiting for a plane load of cargo to build up before they ship it to Los Angeles.

Last edited:

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I adjusted the focus a little more to bring objects in the fore ground a little clearer. However the distant objects are a little less clear. Maybe I need to tweak it some more for a better balance. It is a fine line. This is one interesting camera.

View attachment 58701
I am just fishing for help on my camera. I have an SD49225XA and I was wondering if I can manually set each preset to manual focus. I'm not sure how to do it. It has been auto focusing with hit & miss results. Super annoying when it is OOF. I don't even know if you use the same camera user interface. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I only use one preset which I call the home position. With it the focus is part of the setup. I would think it would be the same with the other presets. Funny, as in this particular camera position I did at one time have a SD49225 camera in this spot. The thing I did not like about it was on the left, say 1/4 of the picture it was not in focus. I do not know if it was a fault with the lens or the software. I posted a picture from that camera on page 4 of this thread. It is the black and white picture.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Camera is working pretty damn good. However it seems to reset itself every 3 or 4 days and comes back at 1080P or worse through my NVR. I go back into the camera and make sure the settings are OK and if not I make the changes. I then re-plug it back into the NVR and it comes up fine. I have been thinking it might be the POE power injector that I bought for it. I bought it through Amazon and the one that was shipped was not exactly the one I ordered but the specifications looked fine so I kept it. But after the recent reset I decided to buy this 75W injector. By the way I am running Cat 6 cable with 23 gauge solid copper wire. This particular run is somewhere between 100-150 feet.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

This shows you only lose'n about .69w on a 150' run and about 1.55 volts. From 56 Volts and a 26w draw......802.3at

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyway to bench test temporarily using Blue Iris?
I missed your question and I am not quite sure what you mean. I am not running Blue Iris so that is a no for me. However I do not see why not if one is running Blue Iris. In fact when I set up the camera after mounting it in it's location I hook the data cable right up to my LAN and use the Dahua Tool Box to make the changes I want to make.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I really like this camera and hope that Dahua comes out with more camera models with this 4/3" sensor. In fact it makes me a little jaded when reviewing my latest 4MP PTZ camera with the 1/1.8" sensor that I received yesterday which is a fine camera in its own right. :)

Anyways early on I had made a tuning error that I caught last night. Under Profile Management I had clicked on "full time" and "day". What this did was prevent the camera from going into the night mode. So to correct the error, under Profile Management I clicked on "normal" and saved. This allows the camera to go into night mode which I already had saved in the "color" mode. I notice and immediate improvement, especially with people walking around which are a lot more distinct. The day time mode is exquisite with all the fine detail. So tonight I will get back into the camera and fine tune the night mode which is already pretty damn good with the latest change. So maybe in a day or two I will upload a video showing the progress.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a daytime video of two pairs of people walking. The 2nd pair comes into view after a couple of moments in the upper right left corner after the first pair exits the video. The 2nd pair are quite interesting and that is why I included them. I want to show the detail this 4K camera is capable of. You can see the leg muscles as they walk. Ignore the blotches as they are from the editing process. I did not want to do it all over again.

Last edited:

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
This is an amazing camera thank you for sharing the video. The people walking look pretty focus and sharp.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you not have auto tracking working on this camera to get a useable capture, it would have been much better if the camera zoomed in also.
What is the framerate set at because it seams to stutter lots. I have my camera SD49225XA set to 50 fPs and gives a smooth as silk footage with auto tracking.

I'm unfortunate to have a sign post to the left of me and a lamp post straight in front of the house which does effect the AT unless tuned in proper.

Small clips below.
View attachment 111111.mp4
View attachment PTZ.20200426_100000_1.mp4

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it has auto tracking and I have it set at 15fps. If I went to 50fps it would eat up all my memory. By the way I am limited to 25fps with my NVR so I cannot go to 50fps. Also I am not sure how auto tracking would work with all the cars diving by. Anyways the main purpose of the camera is to keep track of all the goings on up and down that street to the closest intersection in front of my house. I have a total of 16 cameras spread around the house to keep track of things. Also 4 dedicated license plate cameras. Nice video that you have.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it only does 50fps @ 1080p 25@4k Auto Tracking should work fine on that camera mate and I have subscribed to Sentry which so far has impressed me with its success rate.
Would you of not been better and much cheaper to get a fixed 4k cam and thanks for your kind comment.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it only does 50fps @ 1080p 25@4k Auto Tracking should work fine on that camera mate and I have subscribed to Sentry which so far has impressed me with its success rate.
Would you of not been better and much cheaper to get a fixed 4k cam and thanks for your kind comment.
Not with the 4/3" sensor and the excellent night vision this camera gives. The PTZ gives me the option of zeroing on something of interest. The other night I was watching a suspicious lady going up the street and I could zoom in on her to see what she was up to. I have given more surveillance video to the police and neighbors from this camera than any of the others.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I would double check Dahua site mate with the specs as they state Main stream:4K(1–25/30fps) I don't think many if any will do 4k@50/60FPS

I6 cams....lol you're a Cameraholic for sure

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yikes, I posted my question in the wrong thread, was pertaining to another camera :lol:

I missed your question and I am not quite sure what you mean. I am not running Blue Iris so that is a no for me. However I do not see why not if one is running Blue Iris. In fact when I set up the camera after mounting it in it's location I hook the data cable right up to my LAN and use the Dahua Tool Box to make the changes I want to make.