Dahua AI NVR SMD problems

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got the new NVR5216-EI NVR with firmware DH_NVR5XXX-EI_MultiLang_V4.000.0000000.1.R.230620.
Connected are 10 older Dahua cams without AI capabilities (HDW2320R-ZS) and 1 HFW5442TP-ASE.
The cams are all added to the recorder as 'Private' (no ONVIF).

Now the problem: I can't get SMD to work with any of the cams. According to the specs it supports 8 channel SMD by recorder.
Even the 5442 with built in AI won't show its SMD recordings, while I can see in the logs of the cam itself that it generates the notifications.

What I've tried:
  • Reset the MD, SMD and alarm disable periods to be on all the time
  • Reset the MD region
  • Re-add the cams
  • Just have 1 channel SMD by recorder enabled (in case the AI bandwidth is exceeded)
  • Checked AI-Mode under AI->Parameters->Local->Smart plan
Firmware is the most recent, recorder is original Dahua (no OEM).

Yet I get zero SMD recordings when looking in DMSS, by using smart search in the GUI and by using the search fuction.

Any idea on how to resolve?

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you enabled the motion detection in the record schedule?
1690890966401.png

You also need to have motion detection enabled for smart motion detection to be enabled.
Standard motion detection may still be accessed through menu > alarms > Motion detection, then go back to menu > AI > SMD.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @Mark_M! Yea I had the yellow MD activated. When I try to activate both, the other gets deactivated. I'll try in MD&Alarm for a while.

Motion detection was on.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IVS by recorder does work on one of the old cams, but only with SMD disabled.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Right because I think you're limited to 1 AI function at a time. SMD=AI powered MD

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes exactly, but IVS by recorder only allows for 4 channels and I'd like SMD on 8 channels... So using IVS instead of SMD isn't really an option.
Any tips to try? I've had all IVS rules off and tried SMD but not a single event comes through, not even the ones from the cam with built in SMD.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes exactly, but IVS by recorder only allows for 4 channels and I'd like SMD on 8 channels... So using IVS instead of SMD isn't really an option.
Any tips to try? I've had all IVS rules off and tried SMD but not a single event comes through, not even the ones from the cam with built in SMD.
Regular & MD & IVS must be selected all times on all Channels in Storage->schedule. Did you copied schedule from channel 1 to all other channels?

For me Imou life mobile app works much better with dahua nvr that DMSS. In both cases (Imou, DMSS) to see events in chanel view from NVR you must use app in account mode (Create account in cloud) and after that add NVR using P2p (must be enabled in network config in NVR)

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Regular & MD & IVS must be selected all times on all Channels in Storage->schedule. Did you copied schedule from channel 1 to all other channels?
Yes did all of that.

To clarify, I have over 30 recorders running as a installer, but haven't encountered this problem before. This is also the first NVR5216-EI I've installed for a client who had a NVR5216-4KS2 before which died (after 7 years). Told him that the more expensive unit would give him AI on his existing cams, like it should (and does, but not SMD somehow).

On all these recorders, a cloud account was never needed and I always tell my clients to press 'Not now' when it prompts for an account creation.

The SMD events are not generated in the NVR, because I also can't search for them there:
1690904850154.png

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I probably known what is the problem.
EI series have a new function: AcuPick, which disables previous local AI processing done on NVR.

Go to SmartPlan, then select Local tab and then select AI Mode (disable AcuPick). NVR will restart and You will have old AI functionality (SMD, IVS) done on NVR.

Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 16.59.03.png

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I probably known what is the problem.
EI series have a new function: AcuPick, which disables previous local AI processing done on NVR.

Go to SmartPlan, then select Local tab and then select AI Mode (disable AcuPick). NVR will restart and You will have old AI functionality (SMD, IVS) done on NVR.
After You do that, go to AI -> Parameters -> SMD (or IVS), select non AI channel, select AI done by recorder and save. On all non AI channels.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Checked AI-Mode under AI->Parameters->Local->Smart plan
Yes did that too.

I just got a first SMD event by turning the sensitivity of MD all the way down to 1. I only get the event as a notification in DMSS, but can't find it using AI search or when searching for SMD events by using playback in both DMSS and the recorders GUI.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just got a first SMD event by turning the sensitivity of MD all the way down to 1. I only get the event as a notification in DMSS, but can't find it using AI search or when searching for SMD events by using playback in both DMSS and the recorders GUI.
Check is SMD/IVS/events working locally in 5442 (put some SD card into, setup storage schedule locally on 5442, connect DMS directly to 5442). If everything works ok on 5422 and not on NVR, something wrong is configured on NVR.

If this is case, I would go into defaulting to factory settings on NVR. Then adding only 5442 + configuring SMD/IVS events to work with NVR. And after that (if 5442 works ok with NVR) adding/configuring rest of cams (non AI).

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Even the 5442 with built in AI won't show its SMD recordings, while I can see in the logs of the cam itself that it generates the notifications.
Like indicated in post #1, that all works. So its indeed something with the NVR. Think factory reset would be the best course of action indeed, thanks.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I personally think its a bug in the firmware, that the SMD events are incorrectly being labeled as MD events.

The notifications can be matched to motion detection events in the timeline, while the notification says 'Human motion detection'.