Dahua Alternative

dbarcombe

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been (trying) to run a Dahua system with NVR and Dahua software with 7 cameras in my home. I find the user interface extremely difficult to navigate. I am a Paramedic and not even close to being an IT guru. I have played with Arlo cams and I have a Ring doorbell and they work great, easy to set up etc...
My question is how difficult would it be to switch from my current Dahua NVR to a PC and software like BI? I guess I would need some kind of POE switch to plug all the cams in and then that to the computer?
Any help, drawings, diagrams, college courses recommended...
Thanks
Derrick

Reaction score
Basically, you would be setting up Blue Iris to replace your Dahua NVR. However, since I suspect your NVR also provides "a network switch with POE" you'll need that component as well.

Since you described yourself as a "non IT guru" I would recommend something like:
  1. an 8-port (just enough for PC + 7 cameras) or 16-port (if thinking of expanding in future) POE switch
  2. spend some time shopping for a refurb at Dell outlet, eBay, HP outlet which is 3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th gen Intel (see Wiki for guidance here), look for SSD drive for boot/BI database (you can always buy and add later if needed), and look for something with physical space to add your surveillance storage drive as well.
  3. an additional network card to add to that PC (its simplest/cheapest if you dont know anything about VLANS and/or have a VLAN capable switch already, which I'm guessing you dont based on your own description of your IT knowledge)

Your setup would be (Existing Main Lan) --- (new refurb BI PC) ---- (Camera Lan via new POE switch)--- (all your existing cameras)

Blue Iris should find the cameras no problem connected this way. Also check out the mega-post about Open VPN setup so you can get secure access from your phone to your new camera system. Also I've never done this migration, but I assume your NVR would have a nice big hard drive in it already, which could be relocated to the BI PC and reformatted to get you some storage out of the gate above what the PC comes with.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been (trying) to run a Dahua system with NVR and Dahua software with 7 cameras in my home. I find the user interface extremely difficult to navigate. I am a Paramedic and not even close to being an IT guru. I have played with Arlo cams and I have a Ring doorbell and they work great, easy to set up etc...
Hi Derrick

LaView currently has a deal on POE switch
FYI - LaView 48 hr deal 1/21-22/2-19 4 port PoE switch $22

Note - Arlo, Ring, and other cloud cameras have numerous failings and turn out to be inadequate for evidence due to lack of time stamp. So while you may like their UI they're not able to functionally do the minimal required functions of a security camera.

Either way, using the NVR or VMS ( dahua SmartPSS, Blue Iris ) will take some time to invest in DIY learning.

It's not hard, but will take time - and once you've invested it and setup a good IP POE setup it will be far better and reliable compared to the cloud options.

Reaction score
Thanks CRW! Thats a start!
No problem, but you didn't mention what kind of Dahua cameras, for example are they PTZ, will you need to use them with or without IR etc?

I mention this only because whichever POE switch you end up selecting an important factor besides getting enough ports is ensuring it will have adequate "power budget" to run all the cameras you plan to connect to it. Some switches may have multiple ports but only enough power budget to run a couple cameras or one power hungry PTZ. So bounce ideas off the forums here, before pulling the trigger on one.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
What model NVR do you have?

I ask because though many here will advise, correctly so, that BI has more features and advantages than an NVR, a PC based system such as BI isn't inherently any simpler or easier to learn than an NVR. And you're now talking about additional networking gear and new learning curves...

If the issue is primarily ease of use, some time and perhaps help learning your way around the NVR may be the better first move.

Are you using the Web interface to your Dahau NVR? Seems many dont even know it exists. Try opening a browser and going to the NVR web interface, probably something like 192.168.1.108...or similar.

dbarcombe

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the DHI-NVR52A16-4KS2.
One of the biggest issues, I leave for work out of the country for a month at a time, The NVR is hooked up to a battery backup that will power everything for about 90 minutes of no power. It seems that for no apparent reason randomly I will try and view the cameras online with the iDMSS plus app, it works great most of the time, then boom user is locked try again later or reboot the system?

Reaction score
iDMSS plus app
I dont use this app, but is this setup using port forwarding by chance? If it is, you might have people hacking your NVR.

Another thing I have seen is if there is a network interruption, such that there is not a clean disconnect, some applications and devices get confused and think you are still logged in. Unless there is a timeout feature or a reboot, that could be really inconvenient if you are out of the country.

If you haven't you should setup a basic VPN (hopefully your router is capable so there is nothing to buy), and possibly even look at a UL certified outlet that supports network on/off switching or something where you could do a system reboot if needed, even from 1000 miles away.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Concur with @crw030 , check your logs in the NVR for illegal login attempts. There is a trigger setting to alert you via email of these. Typically the nvr will lock for 30 minutes after say 3-5 bad attempts

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the DHI-NVR52A16-4KS2.
One of the biggest issues, I leave for work out of the country for a month at a time, The NVR is hooked up to a battery backup that will power everything for about 90 minutes of no power. It seems that for no apparent reason randomly I will try and view the cameras online with the iDMSS plus app, it works great most of the time, then boom user is locked try again later or reboot the system?
I.. but is this setup using port forwarding by chance? If it is, you might have people hacking your NVR.
If you haven't you should setup a basic VPN (hopefully your router is capable so there is nothing to buy), and possibly even look at a UL certified outlet that supports network on/off switching or something where you could do a system reboot if needed, even from 1000 miles away.
Concur with @crw030 , check your logs in the NVR for illegal login attempts. There is a trigger setting to alert you via email of these. Typically the nvr will lock for 30 minutes after say 3-5 bad attempts
Hi @dbarcombe

I concur with both crw030 and bigredfish, you are most certainly seeing attempts at breaking into your NVR. If your system is port forwarding it is just a question of time before it will get cyberjacked.

See the security notes and VPN notes in the wiki.