Dahua (Amcrest) IVS triggers to BI

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Personally I would stay with one of the others. The 5842 is on the same size sensor as the 5442 but the 5842 has double the MP, which means double the light is needed. Further, many here believe that 4MP is more than sufficient for these type of camera needs. Whether it is 2MP, 4MP or 8MP, it will never compete with the quality of a DSLR or even most iphones LOL. Two totally different use cases.

In case you haven't seen this, here is a thread I put together discussing the benefits of selecting focal length over MP for the distance you want to IDENTIFY. In some cases, the 2MP is a better option. I also list in post #2 of that thread the common recommended cameras for each distance.

Thanks again for the plethora of knowledge. I did get a chance to setup IVS for the 5442 ZE and I was not impressed. Maybe my trip wires were to complex, or maybe the default settings within the camera need to be adjusted first. It does trigger into BI though. So the Amcrest is out for that use case. The image quality was terrific for IR at night.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I, and others, have found the IVS to be rock solid on the 5442. I am sure it is settings you need to dial in.

Post screenshots of your IVS settings and your other camera parameters.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I, and others, have found the IVS to be rock solid on the 5442. I am sure it is settings you need to dial in.

It is late, so I haven't changed the video settings you mentioned. The bit rate, fps, and iframe are all set, but not shutter, brightness and the like.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

What about the picture quality of the 5442 you don't like? Post a screenshot or video snippet. In all likelihood it is parameter issues. Too low bitrate and VBR instead of CBR are the usual culprits. But the 5442 is the current overall king of cameras.
Camera settings are as discuseed earlier. Highest bitrate possible. CBR with 20 frames. NOt touched the lens settings. Don't really think I should have to for a day image, as you said.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On my phone the image looks good, but I will defer until I can see it on a monitor. I suspect you may need a little WDR during the day.

But you shouldn't run auto/default during the day either.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You've got a dark area looking out into bright sunlight. That's always going to be kind of a challenge. As wittaj says you can try WDR and some other tweaking of things to get it better but still probably will be some compromise there one way or another.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You've got a dark area looking out into bright sunlight. That's always going to be kind of a challenge. As wittaj says you can try WDR and some other tweaking of things to get it better but still probably will be some compromise there one way or another.
Fortunately, I will be removing the boards up top, so it'll be nice and bright. I know it's not a use case, but the foliage in the back looks rough. Tried the Shutter adjustments for the day, just eh. Pretty satisfied with the evening results.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was going to ask you guys. The 4K/X seems like a party trick. I was thinking of returning for another 5442 or the 5842 for the IR. I don't want to use a seperate IR. My thought on the use case for the 4k/X would be the driveway. It gets soft white light (yelllowish) in the evenings.

A follow up to the 4k/X in the driveway. Does BI zoning and masking work if your using IVS on camera? How do I zone the street off within the 4k/X?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also remember these are not infinity focus cameras. Some do better than others, but some have a specific focus distance range. Folks have taken apart fixed cams to adjust focus for their needs.

Since you have the ZE you can manual focus, just keep in mind if you focus for the leaves in the background then the objects up close will be out of focus.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also remember these are not infinity focus cameras. Some do better than others, but some have a specific focus distance range. Folks have taken apart fixed cams to adjust focus for their needs.

Since you have the ZE you can manual focus, just keep in mind if you focus for the leaves in the background then the objects up close will be out of focus.
That makes sense.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 4K/X is not a party trick, but like every camera, if used in the wrong location it will be crap. It can keep color better with such little light than any other camera.

You can use IVS and BI motion together, but you would be better off setting up the IVS to zone off the street than BI motion.

If you don't like the 4K/X then I don't think you would like the 5842. I would stick with the 5442.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 4K/X is not a party trick, but like every camera, if used in the wrong location it will be crap. It can keep color better with such little light than any other camera.

You can use IVS and BI motion together, but you would be better off setting up the IVS to zone off the street than BI motion.

If you don't like the 4K/X then I don't think you would like the 5842. I would stick with the 5442.
I was referring to the lack of IR. I thought the 5842 had IR and the 4k/x doesn't. That 4k/X lit my backyard up, but the motion blue effects were real. Maybe I need to adjust it to make it actually workable at night.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh - yeah none of the full color cameras can see IR, so if you don't have enough light, then a camera with IR will be better.

I wouldn't rely on the white light of the 4K/X. In fact most of us don't even use the white LED on the camera. Mine is turned off and I rely on the other lights on my house.

But if you take it off default it will probably be better.

I do not think the 5842 would provide you a better picture at night than the 5442. Remember chase sensor size not MP. Both those cameras are on the same size sensor but one has double the MP so it will need more light.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It won't. I have both. The 5442 is better low light. Not a huge difference but some. The 5842 isn't bad.

Yeah, turn off the onboard illumination on the Color4K-X and use off-camera lighting. You'll get much better results that way. Something internal seems to change when you turn those on. I could never make things look nearly as good with that turned on no matter what else I changed. If you absolutely have no other light and have to rely on them then I guess it's better than nothing. But even turning them off with no other light still looks better. lol Whether it will capture motion well like that is another matter.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which cameras are those? Is the B/W the 5442 and the color the 4K/X?

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Which cameras are those? Is the B/W the 5442 and the color the 4K/X?
Both are 4KX. That is B/W mode. No IR but gave a great image, right? The color image is super noisy. Tried your setting suggestions for shutter and gain, with little stopping the noisy starry look in color mode.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, many people will run the 4K/X in B/W and it does give a great B/W image if they don't have enough light for color or don't want the white LEDs on.

That color image is not very good and looks washed out light too much WDR or other backlighting is on.

What are the white LEDs set for? I think you are maybe experiencing what we mentioned about the white LEDs of the camera aren't used by many of us. It looks like it is washing out the image.

Maybe try the white light at manual 25% and see if it improves. And since it is a backyard, make the shutter 1/60 instead of a range and see if that improves it.

You have a tough field of view so it will take some tweaking to dial it in.