Dahua and Qnap QVR "connecting" - help?

reflex

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get my IPCAM working with QNAP's Surveilliance Station - but after many hours and tried settings it is not working... - hence, maybe you have an idea! I recently bought the DAHUA SD22404T-GN-S2 which is the 4 MP variant of the DAHUA SD22204T-GN-S2 (2MP) which is fully supported byQnap.

I'm ok if the new camera works on 2 MP, but the problem is; it doesn't work at all. the QMON screen is black, but in all other tools (VLC, EasyIP, etc) is works, but not on the QNAP which I intend to use for the recording. The status in Qnap remains "connecting"...

BTW: I have a Qnap TS459 Pro with the 4.2.6 latest firmware

See screenshots enclosed.

I welcome you input.

Reflex

QVR1.PNG

QVR2.PNG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
the DAHUA SD22404T-GN-S2 which is the 4 MP variant of the DAHUA SD22204T-GN-S2 (2MP) which is fully supported byQnap.
These are 2 different camera models.
The SD22404T-GN-S2 is not in the SS compatibility list.
Didn't you get a 'model mismatch' error when you used the Test button in the camera configuration?

reflex

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I know the model is a bit different. SD22404T-GN-S2 vs SD22204T-GN-S2, I can select the SD22204T-GN-S2 version and Qnap doesn't say model mismatch. I check with several other "similar ones in the list and these are ok as well. If I leave this model series, the cam is no longer accepted.

Since these 2 camera's are nearly identical; and the thumbnail is displayed properly, I hardly can believe that QNAP doesn't accept the slightly newer version that I set to 2 MP.

hence, ideas welcome :).

BTW: what do you mean by SS ?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Surveillance Station (SS) camera models are closely tied to the API (programming interface) of the specific camera.
And we know that Dahua's API is nothing like as consistent between camera models as that of Hikvision.
So there could well be some model-to-model variation.

As the SD22404T-GN-S2 has a different sensor than the SD22204T-GN-S2, it may be that the stream ID used is different.
If so, that could give a 'connecting' problem when the other model is used for the configuration.

One way to explore this might be by querying the RTSP stream IDs with the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
Assuming ONVIF is enabled on the cameras, and has logon credentials that you configure in ODM, the RTSP URL can be seen at the bottom of the 'Live Video' page.
Check if they are different.
The camera could be tested with those RTSP URLs under Surveillance Station as a 'Generic RTSP' or ONVIF ProfileS model.

Finally - it might be interesting to ask QNAP what plans are in place to support the SD22404T-GN-S2 model, by submitting a HelpDesk request at Submit a ticket -

reflex

n3wb
Reaction score
Indeed, I tried some "generic" options and got it working. Although not every function is supported most basic camera stuff does work.
- Generic RTSP was available through: rtsp://your.ip:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0; but no PTZ, and only 2 MP
- Generic ONVIF worked incl. PTZ, and 4 MP, no stream input required (see below)

In the meantime I also submitted a ticket to Qnap for native support

thx for the help!

QVR3.PNG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Generic ONVIF worked incl. PTZ, and 4 MP, no stream input required (see below)
Yes, part of the ONVIF dialogue is to advise the ONVIF receiver how to request the RTSP stream, it's handled automatically via the dialogue.
But in the camera-specific model in Surveillance Station it's hard-coded and will vary from model to model.