Dahua BIG PTZ Stability Issue

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Turks and Caicos Islands, British Caribbean
Here is the mini switch with 1 SFP port that I am using .

I also just noticed when I read through that it says :
IEEE 802.3 bt / at / af Compliant. Port #1 support IEEE 802.3bt / at / af, which could offer up to 60 watts PoE power. Port #2 ~ Port #4 support IEEE 802.3 af / af, which could offer up to 30 watts PoE power.

So this means only port 1 can push the camera. I think this is where my installer might have been mistaken.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My take on that is that the total PoE power available is 60 watts which won't run more than one camera safely.
Its only the one camera we are using it for currently and it still goes up and down. I will say this and I was confused as to why it would happen. In the night time most if not all of the BIG PTZs would go offline. But in the morning almost if not all of them come back online (but still go offline here and there throghout the day). Was talking with Andy and he said during the nigtht the cameras use the IR which uses more power and that could be why there is more stability in the day time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that points to a power issue. IR can double the power needed.

So if it is happening at night, just another nudge towards it is a power issue.

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, that points to a power issue. IR can double the power needed.

So if it is happening at night, just another nudge towards it is a power issue.
My big concern is that I am now using these:

Which should be able to power one big PTZ, but I am going to try an use the PFT1200 and hope they solve the issue. Maybe they are designed better for these BIG crazy PTZs? Who knows I am at my wits end lol

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My take on that is that the total PoE power available is 60 watts which won't run more than one camera safely.
Also on that listing:
  • 6 Port Gigabit PoE++ Switch | 120 Watts total PoE Budget + 4 Gigabit PoE Ports + 1 Gigabit Ethernet Uplink Port+1 Gigabit SFP Uplink Port .
Don't cheap out on poe++ switches or any other switch. I would consider Cudy as being "cheap".
Use the midspan that is suggested for these cams.
Stick with name brand switches going forward. Netgear, Cisco, HP, Dahua's purpose built switches, etc.
Or use the specified Dahua external transformer for power.

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also on that listing:
  • 6 Port Gigabit PoE++ Switch | 120 Watts total PoE Budget + 4 Gigabit PoE Ports + 1 Gigabit Ethernet Uplink Port+1 Gigabit SFP Uplink Port .
Don't cheap out on poe++ switches or any other switch. I would consider Cudy as being "cheap".
Use the midspan that is suggested for these cams.
Stick with name brand switches going forward. Netgear, Cisco, HP, Dahua's purpose built switches, etc.
Or use the specified Dahua external, transformer for power.
So I should be good with the PFT1200? I just told Andy I want purchase 3 of them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cudy is probably ok for a DYI home setting with one PTZ and some fixed cameras LOL, but if installers are involved and being paid to install these bigger PTZs, gotta go with name brand trusted quality power.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cudy is probably ok for a DYI home setting with one PTZ and some fixed cameras
I disagree, if you are spending good money on good cameras, wiring, labor, and all the other effort's needed for a robust system. Why then tie it all together with a cheap selection for one of the most important parts of the system. That's asking for Murphy to move into your spare bedroom. It's like buying a Reolink camera or CCA flat cable.. You get what you pay for. Buy once, cry once.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree, if you are spending good money on good cameras, wiring, labor, and all the other effort's needed for a robust system. Why then tie it all together with a cheap selection for one of the most important parts of the system. That's asking for Murphy to move into your spare bedroom. It's like buying a Reolink camera or CCA flat cable.. You get what you pay for. Buy once, cry once.
Yeah, but you took off my LOL in the quote...which implies that it may work or may not.

Personally, in a home setting DYI situation, I would tell someone if the choice is between a Reolink and Cisco POE switch or a Dahua camera and a cheaper POE, I say go with the better camera and cheaper POE. Work with the budget and make sure good cameras, wiring, etc. is only done once.

If someone due to budget has to skimp somewhere, try it on the POE switch as that is the easiest to replace if it goes out. As a comparison, I doubt the POE in NVRs are high end and they seem to work fine for most for years.

At least if the POE switch poops out they just replace it and not have to go up on a ladder and change cameras, replace wiring, etc.

My first one was a more expensive "quality" brand POE switch and 3 of the ports died in about a year, so I said screw it lets try a cheaper one. Maybe I just got a bad one, but I thought let's try the other route.

YMMV but knock on wood I have been running cheap POE switches for years with no problem.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is my story regarding power for large Dahua PTZ's. I had bought a DH-SD8A820WA-HNF that the specifications say uses 42W if everything is turned on including the heater. So I bought a 60W power injector to be on the safe side. Everything worked fine. So months later I bought a 2nd DH-SD8A820WA-HNF PTZ as an upgrade. So I went with the same brand and model power injector as before. Guess what? The PTZ would have intermittent power problems. So I said screw this and I bought a 90W power injector. :) The camera has been working fine ever since. I still use the other power injector for camera testing.

Last edited:

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is my story regarding power for large Dahua PTZ's. I had bought a DH-SD8A820WA-HNF that the specifications say uses 42W if everything is turned on including the heater. So I bought a 60W power injector to be on the safe side. Everything worked fine. So months later I bought a 2nd DH-SD8A820WA-HNF PTZ as an upgrade. So I went with the same brand and model power injector as before. Guess what? The PTZ would have intermittent power problems. So I said screw this and I bought a 90W power injector. :) The camera has been working fine ever since. I still use the other power injector for camera testing.
Interesting! What was the name of the 90w injector ?