Dahua camera freezing on motion detect?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cameras directly have different options, mjpeg/h264/h264H

But on the NVR it only shows mjpeg/h264 so no way to make the change to stay between the cameras and NVR really between the h264/h264h

The camera 1 has an SD card slot, no card in it though. I had it on CBR the past couple of days and it was dropping out more because it was a constant higher bitrate and "bogging" the network down it seemed. That's why I dropped the bitrate and went to VBR, but even with this at only 4 cameras how the hack is it going to work with more cameras, much less 16 lol.

Here is my switch and NVR

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-NVR-DH-NVR4208-DH-NVR4216-POE-switch-Plug-Play-8CH-Up-to-2MP-Onvif-Network/32374937737.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/With-8-port-PoE-features-8-1-Port-desktop-Fast-Ethernet-Switch-Dahua-Hikvision-network-cameras/638300_1450791689.html

They seem like nice quality products. I am confused, it's only down to the NVR/SWITCH/ or network cables.

With only 24/7 recording to 2tb hdd, the cameras drop out randomly on their own, more often at a higher bitrate.
With only 24/7 recording to 2tb hdd AND motion detection on 1 camera, it drops out more often, especially during motion in the detection area on the 1 camera. It's bottle-necked with the network somewhere, somehow...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not trust a no name switch like that. At 90 bux its way overpriced.
Get a cheap 45 dollar poe switch like this http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1442008307&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+switch
Test it. Im not saying its the issue but it very likely can be. If you have a 12v power supply you can power the camera locally and plug the NVR and camera into the router eliminating the switch entirely and see if the issue resolves.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The good thing about the switch I have is all 8 ports are POE, but that does no good if it's the problem.
Good thinking, I have 12v at Camera 1, powering an IR emitter and the MIC on Camera 1.

I will do some more testing and then tonight see about powering it by the 12v on camera 1 and see what happens.
Thanks, other than that we all seem to be on the same page, nothing special I'm over looking it seems. Very annoying, going on 2 weeks and atleast I've made the issue less often and narrowed it down alot since I first started lol

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The good thing about the switch I have is all 8 ports are POE, but that does no good if it's the problem.
Good thinking, I have 12v at Camera 1, powering an IR emitter and the MIC on Camera 1.

I will do some more testing and then tonight see about powering it by the 12v on camera 1 and see what happens.
Thanks, other than that we all seem to be on the same page, nothing special I'm over looking it seems. Very annoying, going on 2 weeks and atleast I've made the issue less often and narrowed it down alot since I first started lol
Just remember when testing, remove the switch entirely from the equation...I would first test with the switch totally disconnected...

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I kind of thought maybe it was something with the router, which made no sense to me. I've encountered stranger things though. I over complicate things by thinking too much most of the time, so your suggestions have sorted me out earlier than I would have finally come up with. If there is fix, I will find it haha.

I'll post back once I test some more

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@badmop, also cant hurt to see if there is a newer firmware release that might resolve the issue, both for the camera and nvr. But i would test the switch first.

Last edited by a moderator:

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would imagine it has the latest FW since the NVR is supposed to be the latest and haven't found it on dahua website.
The cameras are 2015 new also, but maybe so, trying to find dahua firmware hmm. lol
If it's not broke, play with it and then it will be haha

I'm going to change out some cables inside the house, also change the one from the NVR > Router and POE Switch > Router and see if it gets fixes it.
I've learned before NEVER skip anything in your checklist to fix something, because it'll always be the thing you think "ehh, it can't be that", It then ends up having been that when you finally try it lol. Live and learn, I hope it's not all the new cables I run for each camera.

Thanks for the help

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Take a step back and look at how the local network is laid out and see if there is anything that could be a bottle neck between the cameras that are having a problem, and the NVR.

I had a problem where a Blue Iris setup that had been working flawlessly for months started having a couple of its cameras start dropping out for no apparent reason. I had my POE switch and another small gigabit switch each plugged into the router via gigabit uplink ports. The small switch was sitting behind the BI server, with a Hik cube, a HDhomerun, and the BI server plugged into it. The BI server is also a Mediabrowser server, and serves as an HTPC.

I spent hours trying to figure out why some of the cameras on the POE switch would drop out for a few minutes, and I had pretty much decided there was something wrong with the switch. Then I happened to manually kick off a download of some video content from the web and saw a camera drop off line. When I paused the download, the camera came back. With gigabit speed connections for the switches and on the BI server, I couldn’t see how there could possibly be a bottleneck anywhere until I realized that to help guard against power surges, I had the CAT5 for the gigabit switch running through the Ethernet surge suppression in the power strip the equipment was plugged into.

It turned out that the surge protector was causing that Ethernet connection to drop to 100mbps, which had apparently been fine until my internet provider boosted my connection speed to 150mbps, when it became possible for a download to completely starve the cameras for bandwidth.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, for one, thank you for teaching me something. I did not realize there was a separate bitrate for motion. On everything I own, I go through ALL the settings/tabs etc and configure things and learn about it. I did not realize this was there. It is set at 10240. That explains why the bitrate was jumping up so high when I had it set at max 1720 or whatever when motion occurred.

@digger11, I had researched everything, as earlier I connected only the NVR and switch together and it was still dropping out, eliminating the router or anything else. I am looking to swap the ethernet cables and see if things change. BUT, right now based on the great @vector18 for helping me realize a new setting, I am going to adjust it and see if cameras drop out any. I did not notice that setting before even though I've configured just about everything.

I was coming back to add something, today camera 1 dropped out again (as it always does) during motion, so while it was still dropped out on the NVR (mainstream) the substream still worked as usual on the NVR. So before the mainstream came back, I logged into the camera through the browser and the MAINSTREAM and SUBSTREAM was working fine. It's something at the NVR, as camera 1 never came back until I rebooted the NVR. (which it would have come back if I would have reset the camera at the POE switch also)

I will edit the motion bitrate and see what happens now, thanks so much for continuing to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How did you have it set at 10240? That seems a bit high and I'm not even sure that's a choice? Try setting the constant to 2048 and MD to 2048 on the main stream on every channel your using. I have a feeling your NVR is not handling the excessive bit rate when motion kicks in.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't, that's whatever it was defaulted at, on all 4 of my new cameras lol.
I'll post a screenshot of the settings page later.

Attachments

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you still having the problem after lowering the MD bit rate? Having all your cameras set at 10K HAD to be a problem!

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only 1 camera had motion turned on as of late, and still was having issues.
I haven't been able to test it as much in the last day or so, I've got to make sure they aren't dropping out on their own, motion or not. I still feel there is a problem somewhere, because before without any motion going off, cameras would drop out on their own.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On all 4 cameras, I set the bitrate at 2048 CBR, 15FPS and camera 3 dropped out for 7 minutes with nothing happening outside. Camera 1 is the only camera with motion detection on but no motion was triggered in the last 45 minutes and camera 3 still dropped out on it's own. It came back on it's own but it took 7 minutes.

I'm still having the issues, 4 cameras at 15fps, 2048 CBR isn't that much. hmmmm

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Which NVR model do you have and which firmware does it have? And listen to Fenderman, he's usually right. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Which NVR model do you have and which firmware does it have? And listen to Fenderman, he's usually right. :)
lol, 50/50..but i have a gut feeling here..the NVR might be easier to test by simply removing it and record to PSS....

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've lowered the bitrate on all 4 cameras to 1536 to see if it drops out at all. If it doesn't drop out any at all with that lower bitrate, then hmmm.
I still want to swap the switch and see what happens soon.