Dahua camera image sensor quality Poor's after 2 years

kibe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi friends, I want to know if someone use dahua camera at least more than 2 years.

I noticed that the same model using 2 years 4431RZ compared with a new one, changed the image quality, both same 4 megapixel, I thought it was the dirty lens, but not.

Please share you experiences.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi friends, I want to know if someone use dahua camera at least more than 2 years.

I noticed that the same model using 2 years 4431RZ compared with a new one, changed the image quality, both same 4 megapixel, I thought it was the dirty lens, but not.

Please share you experiences.

Thanks
yes they only last for 2 years:brainfart:
The lens is out of focus...fix it.
also stop buying china region hacked junk...buy the international dahua

kibe

n3wb
Reaction score
yes they only last for 2 years:brainfart:
The lens is out of focus...fix it.
also stop buying china region hacked junk...buy the international dahua

Hi friend thanks for your reply, when you say international dahua, what do you mean?

About the lens is out of focus, the focus is ok, but the image don't show that vivid color than before.

At least in 5 years this camera should works fine, but I don't think so, unfortunately.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi friend thanks for your reply, when you say international dahua, what do you mean?

About the lens is out of focus, the focus is ok, but the image don't show that vivid color than before.

At least in 5 years this camera should works fine, but I don't think so, unfortunately.
Likely simply a setting issue or the new camera has a different sensor...different sensors have different images.
I have dahuas from 2012 no issues.
Your cameras are junk dahua made for china...they are not the same as international dahua cameras...

kibe

n3wb
Reaction score
Likely simply a setting issue or the new camera has a different sensor...different sensors have different images.
I have dahuas from 2012 no issues.
Your cameras are junk dahua made for china...they are not the same as international dahua cameras...
These cameras that you bought in 2012 is in the same quality of image?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
These cameras that you bought in 2012 is in the same quality of image?
yes...read what I wrote above..nothing is happening to your sensor...you simply dont understand that different sensors look different...also next time buy international dahua

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple of 4431r-zs going on 2 years and they both work great. I've not noticed any degradation except one of them getting some kind of film on the inside of the front glass, which disassembly and cleaning took care of. The color balance issue is tricky. The sensor manufacturing might have had changed over time. Are the 2 cameras running the same firmware version? Different versions could be "tuning" the color balance differently. Some of the very new firmware even offers a "style" choice of "vivid", "soft" or "standard". I've posted comparisons of side-by-side cameras (different models) a few times, and tried like heck to change settings to make the colors look the same. I gave up. Couldn't make it work even with 2 starlight cameras using the same sensor. I don't think I have any 2 cameras that make the grass look the exact same shade of green.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I realize that newer cameras, even with the same model number, may produce different white balance, saturation, contrast, etc., even using the same settings due to differences in firmware, or even hardware changes made by the manufacturer over time.

But what isn't clear to me yet, in this thread, is whether the OP is actually seeing a degradation over time in his older cameras, or if he is just noticing a difference between what his older cameras produce versus what newer copies of the same model are yielding.

If it is a degradation in the image quality, over time, then it would be interesting to find out if the sensor and/or lens may have gotten a film of dust or haze from decomposition of plastics, etc., that could be cleaned off, or if it is the sensor itself or some of the other electronics that may have degraded.

It's not as much of an issue with today's DSLRs or MILCs, but back when I first got a Canon 20D, sensor dust was a huge problem. The sensor needed frequent cleaning here, where it is dry and dusty.

A film of vapor-deposited residue from plastics, etc., on the sensor or lens surfaces will result in an overall lack of contrast, and dull colors in the images. And many plastics will off-gas some plasticisers over time, especially in hotter conditions. In a weather-sealed enclosure, you can get a film from this on everything.

I also always wonder how a security camera's sensor will hold up when it is mounted such that it receives direct sunlight (sun in the field of view) during parts of the year. But that's probably a question for a different thread.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no degradation of the sensor... The op is just an amatuer...

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Dahua International models= you can find the model on the homepage of Dahua. If there are warnings of not trying to upgrade firm ware or cannot upgrade and low price the model is likely with hacked firmware and actually intended for the Chinese domestic market. I have had four Dahua-IPC-HFW4431R-Z for more than a year without problems.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
There's no degradation of the sensor... The op is just an amatuer...
Well, that's probably true.

But when it comes to this security cam stuff, so am I. I've been doing photography for 55 years, and electronic hardware design and programming for 40 years.

But almost everything I know about this whole security camera business I've learned from this site over the last few months.

I hate to hijack this thread, but I really do wonder how a security camera mounted such that it's aimed to the south, and to capture the area of interest will have the sun tracking across its field of view every day during winter months, will survive.

This is something that can and does destroy the sensors, mirror boxes, shutters, and sometimes parts of the lens itself in a DSLR system even with a fairly short period of exposure.

Yet, it seems likely that there will often be situations where security cameras will need to be aimed into the sun.

I guess one could install a PTZ camera and set up rules to aim it down during times when it would otherwise have the sun in its field of view.

But I'm guessing someone on here has seen this done or done it. Does it roast the sensor? Seems like it would!

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got a junk chinese market camera that gets fried a bit every morning. No sensor issues after 2 years.
View attachment 32874
That's good to hear! I have a location where I may need to mount cameras aimed such that they'll see the sun in winter months. Aiming them low enough to avoid the low sun would mean missing a view of some important areas.

Thanks!

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have IPC-HFW4431R-Z varifocals like I do? Why do I think I see 4431 3.6mm in the picture? If the sun bothers you can point the camera down a bit without loosing anything of interest unless you like to see the roof of your neighbor.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
You have IPC-HFW4431R-Z varifocals like I do? Why do I think I see 4431 3.6mm in the picture? If the sun bothers you can point the camera down a bit without loosing anything of interest unless you like to see the roof of your neighbor.
I do have two 4431R-Z cameras, plus six 4431M, a 4431K, and a couple of 2 mp starlights. The 4431M I posted the picture from is the only one that gets the sun pointing directly into it.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4431M is 3,6mm? Shows how little I know and understand since I thought that 3,6mm is useless for any longer distance.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
4431M is 3,6mm? Shows how little I know and understand since I thought that 3,6mm is useless for any longer distance.
In general, you're correct. In this case the camera is fairly close to the house (~75 ft), and the house being angled seems to counteract the geometric distortion of the wider angle lens. Most of my cameras are 6mm, and in a few cases I switched to 6 after being unhappy with the image of a 3.6. (It helps to have one of each focal length available, or a varifocal, for testing). I seem to be the odd-man-out, however. When I've ordered from Andy, he generally has 3.6 (or 2.8) in stock, and has to special order the 6mm. I have the sense that the wider lenses are in much higher demand.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I chose 4431 and Starlight varifocals after reading DORI and IR promises. Hope that 8 cameras will cover the lanes behind our wall. Thinking about PVC pipe and a tree to mount. Not happy with the swaying pipes the welders created. They never returned to try to correct the problem.