Dahua Camera IP Address

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello! My camera system is running well, but one outstanding question comes to mind. The IP address of my PC and NVR are in the 198.XXX range and my Dahua Starlight camera IP addresses are in the 10.XX range. Will this create any issues down the road? Should this be corrected? Thanks!

JALCO

n3wb
Reaction score
No to both questions.

Tony, can you offer any details? Here's why I ask. I'm in the same situation as @camguyutah. 198.xxx NVR address and 198.xxx router address. Cameras show up as 10.1.1.xx. When I run Config to change the camera IP addresses, it says I successfully changed them, but they continue to have 10. addresses.

Also, and I may post this question separately, the MAC address on the camera label and the actual MAC address of the camera don't match. I've read about this happening with others, but never heard if it's a problem or not.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Tony, can you offer any details? Here's why I ask. I'm in the same situation as @camguyutah. 198.xxx NVR address and 198.xxx router address. Cameras show up as 10.1.1.xx. When I run Config to change the camera IP addresses, it says I successfully changed them, but they continue to have 10. addresses.

Also, and I may post this question separately, the MAC address on the camera label and the actual MAC address of the camera don't match. I've read about this happening with others, but never heard if it's a problem or not.

Thanks!
That is how its supposed to work, the cameras connected to the NVR will be on a separate subnet the NVR creates.
Mac address not matching is not an issue.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks!
What @fenderman said! :cool:

JALCO

n3wb
Reaction score
Cool. So no need to assign IPs to the cameras. Do I need to reserve any IP addresses at the router? Also, does this setup (NVR only, no PC) still allow me to remotely view my cameras via OpenVPN on my iPhone?

Thanks, guys!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cool. So no need to assign IPs to the cameras. Do I
need to reserve any IP addresses at the router?
Correct about the cams.
Insure NVR's IP is static and either reserve that IP in the router or use an IP that is outside of the router's DHCP pool.
Also, does this setup (NVR only, no PC) still allow me to remotely view my cameras via OpenVPN on my iPhone?
I use Blue Iris instead of a NVR but I see no reason why you can't set the NVR up the same way as a PC with BI and remotely access the NVR's webGUI thru the VPN, using that static LAN IP you set up for the NVR.
You'll also need to set up DDNS to access the NVR remotely unless your ISP gave you a static WAN (public) IP, which is unlikely. it's probably dynamic and can change at some point (like with local power outage) and so DDNS will address that issue.