Dahua cameras and integration with home automation setup

ubntu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

I am planning on purchasing these cameras:

I have a home automation system which I'd like to live stream the cameras to. My system is running an Ubuntu server with node-red installed. My setup is viewed via an ipad tablet.

Do these cameras provide a HTML live stream? If so, I can integrate that into my nodered dashboard and display it on my ipad.

If not, then I understand there's an RTSP feed that needs to be decoded with VLC media player? Has anyone installed VLC on Ubuntu server? Or does it need a GUI interface?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I would avoid buying these cams .. they are quite old, not the best what you can get and all are 2.8mm ... this is useless in most cases. Also the price looks quite high to me.

Here are many recommendations which cams you should buy and why. Maybe read a bit.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, those cameras have a 1/3" sensor, while the current 4 MP sweet spot used by folks on here uses a 1/1.8" sensor. What that means is that the cameras you linked will have 1/4 of the light falling on the sensor, night vision will be poor.

I don't know anything about NVRs, but other folks on here do. @EMPIRETECANDY is a user on here who sells equipment and may be able to help. A lot of folks on here buy directly from Andy, including me.

I think the RTSP feed can be watched with just a web browser, I know it can be read with VLC and may other programs. I'm sure there is multiple ways to show it on a Linux server, but I don't know anything about them without a GUI.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is Dahua, you can connect to the camera directly via a web page (ie a browser)

But I also might suggest avoiding the cameras shown in the URL you posted above. They do not seem to have any AI capabilities. AI has been a turning point in this industry and I would not setup a system without it. Either your NVR, your software or camera should have the ability to use AI. Maybe your “node-red” has AI? No idea, but Blue Iris Integrates directly with AI and it makes the system go from “I get a lot of alerts, but at least I know my system is operating” to “When I get an alert, I take action”

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

I am planning on purchasing these cameras:

I have a home automation system which I'd like to live stream the cameras to. My system is running an Ubuntu server with node-red installed. My setup is viewed via an ipad tablet.

Do these cameras provide a HTML live stream? If so, I can integrate that into my nodered dashboard and display it on my ipad.

If not, then I understand there's an RTSP feed that needs to be decoded with VLC media player? Has anyone installed VLC on Ubuntu server? Or does it need a GUI interface?
Welcome @ubntu

I concur with @user8963 @TVille @looney2ns here, and would recommend looking for better cameras.

1631985087851.png

1631985143629.png

Attachments

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
HomeSeer has a Blue Iris plug in, allowing you to leverage or force trigger events in cameras.

ubntu

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I am struggling to find a decent turret or dome camera by Dahua with a 1/1.8" sensor that is available in Australia. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Also, RTSP is not available via web browsers as the browsers cannot process it. RTSP streams need to be processed by software such as VLC etc. I need a DVR that will provide http access to the camera stream. Any suggestions?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
dahua can use plain mjpeg on third substream (720p)... which you can open with any html browser

i think andy can send to australia .. the customs there are complicated but its better than these stupid austrialia cctv wholesale scammers.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I am struggling to find a decent turret or dome camera by Dahua with a 1/1.8" sensor that is available in Australia. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Also, RTSP is not available via web browsers as the browsers cannot process it. RTSP streams need to be processed by software such as VLC etc. I need a DVR that will provide http access to the camera stream. Any suggestions?
The 5442 series and I believe @EMPIRETECANDY ships there. Reach out to Andy and check out his online store.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @ubntu

Many of us faced the same issues attempting to source better cameras, and ended up purchasing with Andy.

I've had good experiences with my purchases from him, as have others and would recommend checking to see what he may have that would be suited for your needs.

Note: we have a number of vetted vendors by the ipct community ( see the vendor section ) in the USA .. iirc Andy in the main one for international ordering.

Andy
IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com
For Australia just buy from us directly, can save GST, aliexpress or amazon will pre-charge tax. ;)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ubntu

n3wb
Reaction score
dahua can use plain mjpeg on third substream (720p)... which you can open with any html browser

i think andy can send to australia .. the customs there are complicated but its better than these stupid austrialia cctv wholesale scammers.
Thanks for the response - A colleague of mine has a Dahua NVR model XVR5108H-4kl and I was playing around with it the other day, we couldn't work out how to stream via HTTP. Is this unique to specific Dahua DVRs? Just want to make sure I purchase the right one

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the response - A colleague of mine has a Dahua NVR model XVR5108H-4kl and I was playing around with it the other day, we couldn't work out how to stream via HTTP. Is this unique to specific Dahua DVRs? Just want to make sure I purchase the right one
On newer and better dahua cameras like 5442 you have a third stream option... you can set it to 1080p and MJPEG
mjpeg.PNG
You can use any browser to open the mjpeg stream...

should be

Code:
http://ip/cgi-bin/mjpg/video.cgi?channel=1&subtype=2

these are camera settings not dvr.
xvr is only useful for coxial... they can add ip cameras but you have less to zero config options...

this is all ip world, not dvr and coaxial... coax in 2021 should only be used for good reasons

ubntu

n3wb
Reaction score
On newer and better dahua cameras like 5442 you have a third stream option... you can set it to 1080p and MJPEG
View attachment 102155
You can use any browser to open the mjpeg stream...

should be

Code:
http://ip/cgi-bin/mjpg/video.cgi?channel=1&subtype=2

these are camera settings not dvr.
xvr is only useful for coxial... they can add ip cameras but you have less to zero config options...

this is all ip world, not dvr and coaxial... coax in 2021 should only be used for good reasons
Ahh so the cameras must be IP cameras? My colleague only has COAX cameras, so I'll make sure I get IP cameras to ensure this functionality is present :)

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahh so the cameras must be IP cameras? My colleague only has COAX cameras, so I'll make sure I get IP cameras to ensure this functionality is present :)
it is model/brand specific.
many cameras has slow cpu, so they do not have third stream... first substream on most cameras is only vga and you need it maybe for something else (with h264 codec).

the screenshot is taken from 5442 ...

the cheapo cameras you posted earlier will not have these features or only in a limited way. even some "top model" hikvision cameras do not have third stream...
also on some cameras you will lose the ability of using other features when enabling third stream with higher quality...

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree that only IP cameras should be installed at this point. If for some reason you have to use coaxial cameras, then you will have to rely on the NVR to provide HTML feeds. Not all of them do. If you use IP cameras that provide HTML feeds, or use an automation system that can display a RTSP feed, then you rely on the individual cameras to provide the feeds. This is usually much easier to integrate because you don't have to have a mechanism to change views, etc like you would with a NVR. With individual cameras, If you want to see camera 2 instead of camera 1, you simply change the HTML address too view camera 2, etc. It really can't be any more simple.

ubntu

n3wb
Reaction score
This is great advice! Thanks so much guys. So in summary go for the 5442 series of cameras, hook them up via Ethernet/IP and stream footage from the http feed that they offer.

Any recommendations for the NVR?