Dahua cams on Hikvision NVR issues

dan514

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. I’m a noob to this site, and to network cameras in general, but have worked in IT and networking for years. I have a strange setup issue, and am hoping you can help me out.

We have a Hikvision DS-7716NI-SP/16 with three cameras that was configured by professionals a year or two ago. The (non-profit) community centre that I am helping out is moving to a bigger space. We received several cameras as a donation from a friend who lives in China. I am having difficulty getting theses new cameras to interface with the Hikvision.

The cameras are Dahua IPC-HFW5421EP-Z and IPC-HDBW5421EP-Z. (Interestingly, I can’t even find these models on Dahua’s North American site, must be region specific?)

The Hikvision cameras automatically configure with the Hikvision NVR. Their IP settings are 192.168.254.x, but their gateway IP is 192.168.1.1 – different subnet. I have figured out the settings for the Dahua cameras (only major change is using ONVIF on port 80, instead of 8000), but the Dahua config doesn’t allow me to set the gateway on a different subnet than the cameras’ IP – I’ve tried the web interface, the config tool, and a few others. Interestingly, if I connect the cameras to a separate PoE switch to which the the NVR is connected via its LAN port, and give the cameras an IP address on the same subnet as the LAN, the NVR sees and connects to them!

(I've gone through this thread three times, hoping to find relief, but no dice: How Do I Use A Dahua Camera With A Hikvision NVR?)

My goal is to keep all devices on same subnet or VLAN, my hunch being that keeping them “outside” on the LAN is more of a potential security issue.

Any advice on how to give these guys a gateway address on a different subnet? Or where to tell the Hikvision NVR what IP address to use for the gateway it’s providing to cameras on its own PoE switch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to give these guys a gateway address on a different subnet?
You don't really need to. And the cameras should really object to trying, as they do.

Their IP settings are 192.168.254.x, but their gateway IP is 192.168.1.1 – different subnet.
That's a quirk - deliberate or not, I don't know - of how Plug&Play works on a Hikvision NVR with Hikvision cameras.
It stops the PoE-connected cameras communicating outside the PoE subnet.
If you require the PoE-connected cameras to communicate outside the PoE subnet (eg to send internet email, or to be accessible from LAN addresses) then the default gateway should ideally be set to the IP address of the NVR PoE interface - ie 192.168.254.1
To do this with Hikvision cameras, you need to change the channel mode to Manual instead of Plug&Play.
For other cameras you can change it to whatever you want, depending on if the camera firmware does a sanity check and complains about the invalid subnet.

Or where to tell the Hikvision NVR what IP address to use for the gateway it’s providing to cameras on its own PoE switch?
Built in to the firmware. But in Manual mode you can use whatever the camera will accept.

I hope that makes sense.

dan514

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.

That's a quirk - deliberate or not, I don't know - of how Plug&Play works on a Hikvision NVR with Hikvision cameras.
Yeah, seems quite deliberate.

I've actually made some progress: it seems that the bullet-type cams I was initially using wouldn't work at all on the Hik NVR's built-in PoE. Those guys, I put on a PoE switch connected to NVR's LAN. The NVR interfaces with bullet cam, but not another (which I think was my initial test unit, so I may have changed a setting... although "Default" won't resolve!).

As for Dahua Dome-type cams, I've configured two so far with static IP addresses on the 192.168.254.x subnet (and gateway at 192.168.254.1) ... seem to be working so far!

FYI all the Dahua cams working thus far are using manual IP addresses, ONVIF, port 80, and custom admin password.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
sorry, yes they powered up, but NVR won't connect. I woulda thought all the same brand cameras would have similar connectivity, but...
"the bullet-type cams I was initially using wouldn't work at all on the Hik NVR's built-in PoE."
OK, so presumably you had the ability to set the camera IP address to the value in the 192.168.254.x range that the NVR PoE network uses that matches that set in the NVR for the channel you want to plug the camera in to?
If you are trying to connect them as ONVIF, you will need to determine the 'ONVIF port' to use in the NVR camera configuration settings.
On Hikvision cameras - it's 80, on no-name bullets it can be many different values.
To check that, and also see if ONVIF Events Notifications are generated by the other cameras, the open-source Windows tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net works very well.
It will only find the cameras if they are on the same network addresses as the PC, so if the cameras are on the NVR PoE ports you will need to change the PC IP address to be in the same range as the NVR PoE ports, for example 182.168.254.200 *edit* should be 192.168.254.200
Then plug it in to a spare PoE NVR port and any ONVIF devices will show up automatically.
Login credentials are required to query the cameras, top left of the window.
The 'ONVIF port' will show in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.
Motion and other events, if any, will show in the Events page, as do Rules in the Rules page.

Last edited:

dan514

n3wb
Reaction score
Oops.. Typo. Yes, thanks for the correction.
Ha, I'm so used to 192.168... I didn't even see the 182 error

Have managed to get all cameras (3x Hiks, 2x Dahua bullet, 4x Dahua domes) to all interface with Hikvision NVR. Have replicated both on built-in PoE switch, as well as all on an external PoE switch, relayed to built-in PoE switch. :)

Now, I must learn some ONVIF functions