Dahua cams...VBR vs CBR: Would you expect a higher amount of motion blur?

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Along the same lines as VBR vs CBR, but differ question..
Recently switch a few cams over from CBR @ 15 to VBR, and noticed i am missing the object during the recording. The recording is still triggered, but nothing in the video. Sometimes a brief frame capture showing a partial of the object, but that nothing else. With all settings the same, a switch back to CBR and all is good - captured recordings show object as expected.
Any ideas what is causing this during VBR playback?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
VBR shouldn't give a worse result. I guess maybe BI need to have a look at the implementation algorithm. It sounds as if it's not giving enough consideration to the guys movement. VBR can be used for 2 purposes: 1. To save bandwidth / space, 2. To allow you to run a much higher maximum bit rate than you might otherwise run by compensating with a lower bit rate when the scene is less taxing - in the context of BI and most of these cameras though, you can't actually set a very high bit rate so it's somewhat useless in that regard. Obviously here, the implementation is amiss, and I'd too be using CBR with those results.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
VBR shouldn't give a worse result. I guess maybe BI need to have a look at the implementation algorithm. It sounds as if it's not giving enough consideration to the guys movement. VBR can be used for 2 purposes: 1. To save bandwidth / space, 2. To allow you to run a much higher maximum bit rate than you might otherwise run by compensating with a lower bit rate when the scene is less taxing - in the context of BI and most of these cameras though, you can't actually set a very high bit rate so it's somewhat useless in that regard. Obviously here, the implementation is amiss, and I'd too be using CBR with those results.
There is nothing wrong with blue Iris and VBR. This is 100% related to user error. Most likely due to using smart codec. There are thousands of people here using bi with vbr.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thx federman! VBR = GOOD, Smart Codec & H.264+ = BAD.
Although would not call this 'user error', both are very usable codecs - except with BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thx federman! VBR = GOOD, Smart Codec & H.264+ = BAD.
Although would not call this 'user error', both are very usable codecs - except with BI.
It’s not just blue Iris that has issues with these codecs. You will find threads where nvrs have trouble with them as well and other vms. They have a variable Iframe interval that causes this problem.