n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to CCTV and recently purchased a set of Dahua CCTV cameras and an NVR
In Case it is of use I have the following
1 x NVR5216-16P-4KS2E
1 x IPC-HFW5241E-Z5E and
6 x IPC-T5442TM-AS

I had recently installed them and connected them directly to the NVR POE ports. I do not have the NVR connected to the Internet at all. Other than to reset my forgotten password.

I had pre-purchased some nice thin cables but when I put everything into the Server rack cabinet I realised that the cables were not long enough for placing the unit in the normal position so I placed it back the front. This seemed to work o.k for a while but to make everything neater I turned off the NVR and turned it around and used longer (temporary cables to neaten everything up while I get some more cables. Upon turning everything back on I can now only get images from 2 CCTV cameras. The rest give me an "invalid username or password error", I have not as far as I am aware touched a password on any of the CCTV cameras. All I can figure out is I plugged the cameras into different ports of the NVR unit.

Now that all cameras are installed (some in difficult to reach places), is there an easy way to reset these cameras? Will I have this problem again if I reset and then replace the Patch lead cables? This is make a lot of work for something that I cannot seem to understand why it would cause an error for swapping ports on the NVR.
Any suggestions or ideas on how to make getting everything back up and running easily would be appreciated. Although it is not easy I could probably reset the NVR, would that be the easiest option, or would that not work?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
...................Other than to reset my forgotten password.

The cameras plugged into the PoE ports will generally assume the same pass as the NVR.

Read here
***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

Post a picture of your 'Registration" page. Does it look like this?
CameraRegPage1.jpg

See the 'pencil" icon, this allows you to enter the password for the camera so that the NVR can connect to it. (it doesnt change the password, it simply uses the pass already on the camera to allow the NVR to make contact) If you see an invalid username/pass message, edit the password here to match whats on the camera.

CameraRegPageEditPass.jpg

Again the cameras will generally assume the same login crednetials as the NVR. Id reboot before doing anything

Last edited:

Jeongja

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks bigredfish, I'm at work tonight. I'll try and check this out tomorrow when I get home.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Dont go to resetting cameras yet. I think you have a simple password problem. Rebooting the NVR and showing us your registration page is next step/

Jeongja

n3wb
Reaction score
Dont go to resetting cameras yet. I think you have a simple password problem. Rebooting the NVR and showing us your registration page is next step/
Thanks will do that when I get home, more likely tomorrow afternoon as I think I'll be worn out when I get home.

But after reading your first link I think that I probably should have read that first before setting up the cameras. I've been using the NVR to do everything not using a web-browser as I haven't had a chance to ensure they will be secure on the internet.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Dont have to be connected to the Interwebs to use the browser interface. Just on your home network

Jeongja

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, that was the solution. I had originally setup the NVR before moving and had forgotten passwords. So I had to reset the password for the NVR but the Camera's have kept the old password. I finally remembered the old password and got them back up and running through the edit function as you pointed out.

Thanks so much. Happy camper now that I've got them at least up. It is much nicer to use a web-browser to log into the NVR.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad that worked out for you.

Dont be surprised that if you reboot that the camera passwords change to that of the NVR.

Helped another guy yesterday with a similar issue, it seems some older cameras and/or cameras that had already been initialized with another NVR, may retain their "old" password, but new Dahua cams out of the box will assume the same login credentials of the NVR via synch.