Dahua Combo Wireless/Wired IP question

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

On a combo wired/ wirless Dahua cam Do I need 2 different IP addresses setup in port forwarding?

On the dahua setup page, it seems I can't use the same 192.168.1.25 twice for wired and wireless without triggering a conflict.

Port forwarding is already setup correctly and the camera transmits correctly.

I guess what I am asking if I switch over to wired do I have to change wired to a new local IP and then change port fow in router?

Thanks !

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

On a combo wired/ wirless Dahua cam Do I need 2 different IP addresses setup in port forwarding?

On the dahua setup page, it seems I can't use the same 192.168.1.25 twice for wired and wireless without triggering a conflict.

Port forwarding is already setup correctly and the camera transmits correctly.

I guess what I am asking if I switch over to wired do I have to change wired to a new local IP and then change port fow in router?

Thanks !
Step 1, never port forward any camera
step 2, see step 1

that said, you will only be connecting to the network with one or the other....not both...you dont have to change the port, just the camera ip address..

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I feel uneducated now, going back to Panasonic IP cameras 10 years ago and with every dahua I did not know these cameras could be accessed remotely without port forwarding using a static IP

Time to go back to school !

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Just didn't know you can remotely access a camera without it being port forwarded
yep.. just get a netgear or asus router with VPN built in... super simple to set up... way easier than I though it was going to be....

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
So VPN plus port forwarding or VPN alone?
no need to port forward if you are using a VPN..... it acts as you are connecting from your home connection, while out on the road..... I use it with the netgear nighthawk R8000. but others use it with some ASUS models...

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no need to port forward if you are using a VPN..... it acts as you are connecting from your home connection, while out on the road..... I use it with the netgear nighthawk R8000. but others use it with some ASUS models...

Thank you for the enlightenment !

I guess what you and the real pros here are saying is that a VPN is safer than port forwarding.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for the enlightenment !

I guess what you and the real pros here are saying is that a VPN is safer than port forwarding.
I was a young grasshopper once...

and yes.... don't ever port fwd... its bad.... VPN is def the way to go.

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was a young grasshopper once...

and yes.... don't ever port fwd... its bad.... VPN is def the way to go.
I have a 16 port gigabit unmanaged switch which many of my dahua connect to, does that have to be upgraded to a VPN variant too?

Thank you,

Jeff

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 16 port gigabit unmanaged switch which many of my dahua connect to, does that have to be upgraded to a VPN variant too?

Thank you,

Jeff
nope.. just get a new router (if ur current router doesnt support VPN)

ur switch is fine

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also make sure UPNP is disabled in the cameras and router otherwise it will likely create port forwarders without you knowing.