Dahua config tool only sees the NVR. No cameras. 192.168.1.108

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, having a frustrating time here. Any help much appreciated.

1. The dahua config tool only sees the Ver 4.0 8 Port Poe NVR at 192.168.1.108. My cameras are on a different segment 192.198.3.100. Changed my nic card to put me on that segment and scanned again. Nothing.

2. I have a Dahua license plate cam that I can not log into. Tried holding down reset button then plugging into poe eithernet while holding down reset button for 30 secs. The camera appears to reset because the video zoom returns to default setting. However, I can not login with admin/admin default/default admin/blank etc.

My goal is to use the Dahua Config tool to perform a reset on cameras password. I need to log into lic cam to adjust shutter etc setting.

Thank you for your help

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not need the Dahua Config tool to access the cameras. I have NEVER used Dahua Config tool.

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters.

1663295763742.png

But it also sounds like you have a lot of messed up stuff going on.

Unless you can provide more details, like is the NVR a POE and are the cameras connected to it or is it via switches, network topology, etc., I think your best bet is to reset everything and start over. It sounds like you have over-complicated the setup by a lot.

This is the master thread on how to properly set up a Dahua NVR:

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Getting to camera login ok.

But cant login to camera. Bad
password.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder why the factory reset isn't working for you.

Do you have another power source that you could temporarily use to provide power to the camera and factory reset that way?

The only thing I can think of is the NVR is holding on to the config settings and isn't doing a true reset.

You should be able to reset it and plug it back in to the NVR and then it starts the initialization process.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My experience with config tool is you don't have to change any windows settings to find a camera not addressed to the computer's subnet. For example, my computer's subnet is 192.168.100.xxx, and config tool always finds the new 192.168.1.108 cameras. Config tool somehow overrides different subnet addresses from being routed to the computer's gateway. You do have to make sure config tool's search range is set ok. If there's a router in the path, I suspect that would cause a problem. Opposite of wittaj, I always use config tool to initialize new cameras and change their IP address.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My experience with config tool is you don't have to change any windows settings to find a camera not addressed to the computer's subnet. For example, my computer's subnet is 192.168.100.xxx, and config tool always finds the new 192.168.1.108 cameras. Config tool somehow overrides different subnet addresses from being routed to the computer's gateway. You do have to make sure config tool's search range is set ok. If there's a router in the path, I suspect that would cause a problem. Opposite of wittaj, I always use config tool to initialize new cameras and change their IP address.
You will love the new cameras then where the config tool doesn't work and you have to go thru the camera gui from the very beginning LOL.

Many of us here do not use the config tool and go straight to the camera gui to start with. I am not hooking up a new camera to my system and give it internet access if only for a few minutes by using the config tool.

Can the config tool find a camera behind an NVR? I don't think it can, especially since you can access it via the NVR gui.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I think your onto something here. A netgear nighthalk router is the only device between my hardwired computer and the nvr.

It goes like this

My computer --------------------- Netgear nighthalk ----------------------------- Dahua 8 Port POE NVR

What setting on nighhalk is blocking Dahua Config tool from seeing cameras? Only seeing 192.168.1.108 NVR

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, which NVR model do you have - it might not be capable of the full ANPR capabilities, or is this the Z12E that you are referring to?

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just the Z12E 5-60 mm zoom camera. DIY Licence plate camera.

Dont need all the ANPR capabilities. Just want to play back video if something goes bad in the neighborhood.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think your onto something here. A netgear nighthalk router is the only device between my hardwired computer and the nvr.

It goes like this

My computer --------------------- Netgear nighthalk ----------------------------- Dahua 8 Port POE NVR

What setting on nighhalk is blocking Dahua Config tool from seeing cameras? Only seeing 192.168.1.108 NVR
It has nothing to do with your router.

I do not believe that the config tool can find a camera behind an NVR?

I may be wrong though, but I do not think it is possible as it is considered like a dual NIC or VLAN. That is what the NVR gui is for to access the camera.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"I do not believe that the config tool can find a camera behind an NVR? " Ahh I did not know this! So the 8 Port Dahua NVR is blocking the cameras from being seen from the configtool

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"I do not believe that the config tool can find a camera behind an NVR? " Ahh I did not know this! So the 8 Port Dahua NVR is blocking the cameras from being seen from the configtool
I believe that to be the case that the NVR is acting as a dual NIC or VLAN.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The first two lines of @bigredfish instructions:

DO NOT follow instructions telling you to use the config tool or switch the IP of your cameras or initialize anything..!

With NVR's typically with a -P designation (Built-n PoE switch - example: 4208-8P-4KS2) none of that is required and it will often make a mess of things.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I assumed a non-POE nvr. I've never noticed the 192.198.3.xxx subnet mentioned in conjunction with a NVR's built in switch. Yet another of my bad assumptions.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok im on right path now.

I hooked up myIPC HFW5231EP-Z12E camera to a poe switch. ( Separate then the 8 port Dahua NVR ) and performed a reset on it. This time worked.

*Note the Dahua Config tool could see the IP Camera when on a standard Poe switch. But can NOT see cameras when plugged into a Dahua 8port NVR "switch"

I was able to initialize the camera and set an admin password.

Then I took the camera off the Poe Switch and plugged it back into the Dahua NVR. The NVR adopted it and assigned it IP address.

( Now I just have to figure out where the shutter setting is in this IPC HFW5231EP-Z12E camera )

Thank you Tigerwillow1 and Wittag for all your help!!!!