fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua is now in the lock business...
Smart Lock

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have been using Schlage keypad locks for years on both of my doors. They use physical buttons, not a touch panel, and are otherwise pretty simplistic.

Problem is, I do not 100% trust the electronic components in Schlage locks. I had one fail about a year ago. Of course I didn't have a key on me but luckily the other lock was still working fine so I got in that way. So I replaced the bad doorknob/lock with one of their Z-wave compatible locks which was a mistake. On the z-wave model you can't glance at the indoor locking switch to see if the door is locked, because they replaced the switch with lock/unlock buttons. I keep finding it unlocked when nobody remembers pushing the unlock button. Not cool. Also, more than 50% of the time it fails to report entry and exit attempts to my Vera controller. That was the main reason I had bought the z-wave version in the first place, so it kind of pisses me off it works so poorly.

I bet the Dahua locks cost a lot more, and it will take years to determine how reliable they are.

harrijs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
According to the documentation it looks like these are stand alone. I don't see any indication that these are supposed to be integrated with any central management system. I am more interested in seeing 4 AA batteries lasting a year in one of these like the spec says.

The other side of this from an operational standpoint is the removal of a lost or misplaced rfid tag. You will need to keep a record of tag numbers and people or groups assigned so that if someone loses it you can remove just that one credential. The alternative is to wipe the database and then enter all of the known credentials.

An RFID based system really needs to have a point of central management. A basic a PIN based system can work in isolated installations.

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
bp2008 Are you using a z-wave controller? You could program the lock to automatically lock after x - min or being unlocked.

Michael

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua is now in the lock business...
Smart Lock
The link is dead.

What do you think about locks using power supply via deadbolt? Found in the Securityhive: http://www.securityhive.com/perco-announces-unique-lb-series-mortise-electromechanical-locks/

The main peculiarity of LB-series locks is voltage supply through contacts in the locking bolt and in the mating lock element under the strike plate. Power cable and control cable are connected through the strike plate in the door frame, not through the door leaf.

I talked with some people at the other forum but they've never seen such models in the US.

Michael

n3wb
Reaction score
Works fine here..
Finaly it launched from the other PC. Quite nice and reliable locks with wide characteristics. They are positioned as home devices but for sure can be used in hotels and enterprises. The description said they can be opened with a mechanical lock but I don't see a key hole in the lock neither at the photo nor at the scheme.

I'm still interested in local authorities opinions about power supply through the locking bolt technology. Has anybody here faced with it?

Last edited by a moderator: