Dahua duds or User dud?

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
crossed cables have NEVER worked reliably at 1gigE. they were useful in the early days of 10baseT and 100baseT which only used two pairs, and before the vast majority of systems could autonegotiate the polarity. gigE stuff auto figures out which pair of pairs is Tx vs Rx (this is needed when you connect two switches together)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
amazon questions about the POE on the Microtik.
Q: how many watts does the POE port put out?
A: This device will output whatever voltage it is powered with up to about 1A. So....if you power the router with a 12v 1A adaptor and expect to use a high power 48v device downstream....you will need a separate injector. The wattage can be calculated with the input voltage and 1 amp of capacity.
By Ryan Waldron on June 1, 2021

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The Amcrest config utility has Identified both Dahua and Amcrest on my system. It's probably the chopped down version of Dahua.....Sometimes it takes a couple minutes for the utility to see a camera properly. Your router should have a status of currently leased IP's. If something else is running on 192.168.1.108 it could be the problem. but like Wittaj said,,,,,Listen to the camera when you power it up and cover the lens. if it's getting the right amount of power, you can hear the varifocal seek, and hear the IR click on and off (6 sec delay default)

simsrw73

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I tried everything concievable. Everything under the sun, over it, behind it... except that. I guess I should have thought of that, but I had no idea from anything I read that I wasn't supposed to connect directly to my PC to configure it. It's not in the manual that I could see. I guess if I had more than a passing knowledge of networking I could have figured it out but... this has been an extremely painful lesson. The first time I hooked it up through my router & it probably was blocked by firewall, all the other times I hooked it directly to my PC.

Thank you to everyone for your patience and helping my figure this out. Thanks to @holiday & @samplenhold for nailing the solution.

Reaction score
Glad it is working now. Don't feel bad, everyone of us had to learn IP cam stuff at first. It is a lot of different tech that all has to be set up properly and work together. None of us know everything. I forgot about crossover cables and years ago, I made them!

The best part of this forum is helping folks. It is great when we all come together and solve a problem.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your patience and helping my figure this out.
As a lurker on this thread I want to give you 5 gold stars for hanging in there and considering the possibility of something you were doing being behind the problem, instead of the all-too-common reaction of cursing the cameras and walking away. I find it refreshing.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Blast this dag nabbit Camera all to hell! I'm going to Costco and get a Plug n Play system!
unless its like a Lorex with a dedicated NVR, those things are pretty much awful.... and the lorex nvr isn't half as nice as Blue Iris. and the lorex system requires lorex cameras, which are really rebranded and reprogrammed something-elses.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
unless its like a Lorex with a dedicated NVR, those things are pretty much awful.... and the lorex nvr isn't half as nice as Blue Iris. and the lorex system requires lorex cameras, which are really rebranded and reprogrammed something-elses.
While I agree with you on most of this (Blue Iris DOES run circles around an NVR), you can use any Dahua OEM with the Lorex NVR... My neighbor had a $1,400 Costco Lorex 4K system and after he saw my Andy cam 2MP cams kicking his 4k's at night, he replaced several of them with cameras like mine. Simply took down the Lorex, hooked up Andy's cams and they were up and running on the NVR by the time he got inside to check on them. I was shocked that little NVR could put out enough power to power the PTZ as well.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Left Coast.....I'm kidding. The dismal underwhelming Costco/Nightowl DVR's and Some funkified Eyemax PC security system I inherited at work, brought me to IPcamtalk in search of a better way. I'm enjoying Blue Iris. I do have a legacy HDA10-16 Nightowl running in place of the EyeMax Pc turdwagon on the existing Coax runs in the building. It's only crashed once in 2.5 years and that was for HDD failure. It's not much but every Monday when I come in the damn thing is still alive. The idea of Pulling 12 runs of cat5e through that old whore of a building is almost enough to send me back to Commercial vehicle operator....lol.....

Reaction score
Yes. I plugged it in to network switch and set my pc IP address and bingo! That’s all I had to do after all the pain I put myself through… just plug in to the switch instead of my pc or router POE port :facepalm: I don’t know why I didn’t know that.
I have an old Linksys E2000 router in my junk box that I use for configuring Dahua cameras. I have it set to the 192.168.1.xxx address range, with the WiFi disabled. I plug it in, connect the Dahua camera to one port (powered by a 12 V wall wart), plug my laptop into another port, then log into 192.168.1.108 to configure the camera. I'm done in a couple of minutes without any hassle or fuss.

If your home network address range is not 192.168.1.xxx, a spare router is a useful thing to have around. You can pick one up for $5 or less at a garage sale or estate sale. They are obsolete by modern WiFi standards, but perfectly suited to this task.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hook the cam to a 12VDC wall wart, run an Ethernet patch cable from the cam directly to the PC and set the PC to static 192.168.1.xxx with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, open browser and hit 192.168.1.108 for Dahua or 192.168.1.64 for Hikvision.

FWIW, I haven't worried about a cross-over cable in many, many years since AUTO MDI-X on Ethernet ports came into use on most Ethernet ports, circa 2005, + or - ?

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just add a 192.168.1.xx address, and a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, to the existing configuration of the second NIC of the BI PC and plug the new camera right into one of the switches that are being used for cameras. Never have to worry about changing anything that way.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any new cams get plugged into my existing POE switch in the garage, get out the laptop, and up an running in a couple of minutes.
The IP configtool will indeed find cams on another subnet, if you configure the tool correctly to begin with. Hint, it has a help file built-in.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Any new cams get plugged into my existing POE switch in the garage, get out the laptop, and up an running in a couple of minutes.
The IP configtool will indeed find cams on another subnet, if you configure the tool correctly to begin with. Hint, it has a help file built-in.
More reading!? jeezus….:love: