Dahua duds or User dud?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You know, if you were within an hour or two drive I'd offer to pay a visit to try and get this worked out. I'm stumped at this point other than you being so lucky you got two duds in a row. Maybe another user will chime in with a different viewpoint and find a solution.

simsrw73

n3wb
Reaction score
You know, if you were within an hour or two drive I'd offer to pay a visit to try and get this worked out. I'm stumped at this point other than you being so lucky you got two duds in a row. Maybe another user will chime in with a different viewpoint and find a solution.
I appreciate that and am immensely grateful for all the suggestions. I've learned a few things in the process. I'm now trying to calculate the odds of getting a third dud in a row and wondering what the vendor will think of the two back-to-back returns.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Heck, I'm right next door in AL (was born and raised in Atlanta, BTW).
@simsrw73, if by chance you get a third dud (I don't think you will), but if you do, let's seriously discuss me getting my hands on it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Andy checks these cameras before they go out. Doesn't mean one still can't poop out, but two in a row seems crazy.

Even if you couldn't find them on the network, you should still hear the IR filter click. I guess as one last ditch effort, plug into the POE injector and hold the reset down for two minutes. You should hopefully hear the IR filter click several times during that period. I had one camera when I was testing SMD 3.0 for Andy that appeared pooped out in the process, and holding the reset for 2 minutes got it going again.

Were they from Amazon? Maybe someone returned some duds and Andy wasn't notified and Amazon resold them?

Reaction score
I appreciate that and am immensely grateful for all the suggestions. I've learned a few things in the process. I'm now trying to calculate the odds of getting a third dud in a row and wondering what the vendor will think of the two back-to-back returns.
I'd consider sending your camera to one of the regulars on this site, and have them check it for you. Two bad cameras in a row from Andy doesn't make sense. It's far more likely to be something you're missing on your end.

simsrw73

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, Andy checks these cameras before they go out. Doesn't mean one still can't poop out, but two in a row seems crazy.

Even if you couldn't find them on the network, you should still hear the IR filter click. I guess as one last ditch effort, plug into the POE injector and hold the reset down for two minutes. You should hopefully hear the IR filter click several times during that period. I had one camera when I was testing SMD 3.0 for Andy that appeared pooped out in the process, and holding the reset for 2 minutes got it going again.

Were they from Amazon? Maybe someone returned some duds and Andy wasn't notified and Amazon resold them?
I’ll try the 2 minute reset shortly: I momentarily stepped away. But they were ordered from Amazon. Ordered one, then online request for exchange. Both of them still here as I haven’t got around to return them yet. Got 1st last Thursday and the replacement yesterday. Both boxes had crushed corners. The first more than the second, but not enough that I would suspect damage, giving the packing. Even with them not working, it’s hard to believe that was the cause.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wouldn't be the first time I heard of Amazon turning around and reselling something returned as new. Heck, I have bought other stuff that was DOA and clearly a returned item that I was purchasing as new.

I know that is not Andy's approach as well.

simsrw73

n3wb
Reaction score
Wouldn't be the first time I heard of Amazon turning around and reselling something returned as new. Heck, I have bought other stuff that was DOA and clearly a returned item that I was purchasing as new.

I know that is not Andy's approach as well.
Is Andy the seller at EmpireTech? Does he frequent these forums? I know I read a lot of good things about EmpireTech when I was researching camera choice but didn’t make the link. I was wondering about how to contact the seller directly for advice rather than rushing ahead with another Amazon exchange. What is the best way to contact him or make him aware of this thread in case he has further suggestions?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is Andy the seller at EmpireTech? Does he frequent these forums? I know I read a lot of good things about EmpireTech when I was researching camera choice but didn’t make the link. I was wondering about how to contact the seller directly for advice rather than rushing ahead with another Amazon exchange. What is the best way to contact him or make him aware of this thread in case he has further suggestions?
Yes, Andy is the seller and is @EMPIRETECANDY and he is on this forum all the time.

He is in Hong Kong, so in a few hours his day will be starting and will see this thread, but you can DM him as well.

simsrw73

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried this and get nothing. Not a peep.

unless these cameras are BRANDED empiretech, Amazon is notorious for mixing up inventory from different suppliers of the same SKU.
I do not see any branding on the cameras themselved except a label attached to the cable. The boxes are marked with labels on the side and on the top.

View attachment 20210621_173551.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Loryta and Empiretech are Dahua OEM sold by Andy. Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua cams. If you get a camera that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you you bought from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon, they are Andy cams.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
maybe try this if you have a spare network switch and if you haven't done so.
make sure your belkin is set to 12V and polarity is correct.
else i recommend using those 12v wall wart that comes with the wd or seagate desktop external hard drive, they work out of the box.

Gather these equipment.
1 laptop , 2 lan cables and the camera

set ip of laptop to 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0
plug one lan cable to laptop and switch
plug the next lan cable to camera and switch
power camera with the belkin

on internet explorer try to access 192.168.1.108 after a min or so.

do not plug lan cable from laptop to camera directly without going thru a network switch.

Reaction score
One possible issue from the first post is that you are plugging the cam into a router that has a POE port.

It is very possible that no matter how you power the cam, if it goes through the router, there may be some rule set up that you are not familiar with that is blocking the connection.

I always use a POE Switch, that is not connected to the router at all, and my sub-net is different than the default (192.168.1.108). So when I get a new Dahua cam from Andy, I use a BV-Tech POE injector between the cam and a simple switch on the main LAN network. The route from my PC to the cam never passes through a router. It goes from cam to switch to switch to PC.

Amazon.com: BV-Tech Gigabit Power Over Ethernet PoE+ Injector | 30W | 802.3 af/at | Plug & Play | Auto Power Detection | up to 100 Meters (325 Feet): Computers & Accessories

I did try and do the direct connect from the cam to POE injector to a laptop not connected to the LAN, but never got that to work.

What is the IP address of your PC while it is normally connected to your LAN?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did try and do the direct connect from the cam to POE injector to a laptop not connected to the LAN, but never got that to work.
it will NEVER WORK unless using a crossed cable , eg RX/TX swaped at both ends.

and from reading the post, that's wat the OP is doing and this will likely be the cause of his issues.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
network switches are so cheap now ... people stop making cross cables.. i still have mine from years ago.. circa 2000 i think!