Dahua firmware backup/write

Reaction score
I just received a couple 4433-ZS cams from China. English firmware, not too old. Feels way better than my HIKVision.

Device Type IPC-HDBW4433R-ZS
System Version 2.621.0000.28.R, Build Date: 2017-09-12
WEB Version 3.2.1.495007
ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.3.1.460928)

Now I became aware, that they are not upgradeable thru normal sources du to geo-lockin, hate when they do it like that.

I rarely use the web interface, only for initial setup. Is is possible to backup the current firmware, and rewrite it using special tools ? I do have ST-Link V2 and other stuff from misc hacking projects, for getting stuff off the onboard memory of ARM chips.

I would consider installing chinese firmware, and use word lens or whatever on my phone to navigate the little I need, if I can get back to english. Where do I get the latest chinese firmware for the chinese devices ?

Now I learned the lesson, and will likely buy EU versions, 2MPix moving forward. But these cameras were a bargain. After paying tax and feed, they are like 1/3-1/4th the price of buying locally. Wide zoom lens with autofocus. This is just great, no need to change lenses.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Generally regarding camera firmware, if it isn't broken don't fix it. This is especially true of hacked china region cameras.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If you haven't seen this thread you might get some ideas from it Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware . I agree with the preceding post about being reluctant to upgrade the firmware. I have a bunch of chinese market cameras that work just fine with a dahua nvr and I don't ever see any need to upgrade them. With the sensors improving over time, they'll probably just get replaced in a few years. If you haven't noticed, many forum members buy english language cameras from a seller in china who has built a good reputation here. For his contact info see the first post in New Dahua Catalog for 2th Season. His offerings cost more than the chinese market cameras but likely a lot less than buying locally. If you want 2mp starlight cameras, I think he's hands down the best source.