Dahua HDCVI Ultra Series - OSD Exposure Settings

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I have a couple of the Dahua Ultra Series HAC-HFW3231E-Z cameras. In the camera's OSD's "Main Menu" under "Exposure" there are the following menu items:
  • Exposure Mode. I have set it to "Auto" and then turned "Low motion blur" on (this should in fact increase the shutter speed if I am not mistaken?), with the following settings:
    • "Shutter max" is set to 33 (the highest it will go)
    • "Shutter min" is set to 01 (the lowest it will go).
  • Exposure Level: 12
  • Gain: 8
  • Slow Shutter (default is off), I have changed this setting to either "X2", "X4", "X8", "X16" or "X32" as well as setting it back to "Off".
On the Slow Shutter setting I have noticed no visible change in the image in any way as a far as my eyes can tell, both on the live stream and on recorded video playback. I have also not noticed any increase or decrease in motion blur using this setting.

Does anyone know what this Slow Shutter setting actually does?

(As a side note, to give some context, this camera is facing the street, so capturing crisp fast moving objects is important).

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a few of those and keep the exposure level at about 10, Gain at 6.
I also use Auto and low motion blur settings as you and get pretty good images from them. I keep one in forced color at night and one I let go to B&W/IR.

In theory slow shutter would be the opposite of what you want, keeping the shutter open longer. Like you, I played with it and saw no real difference, I leave it off. It could be a result of interacting with some other setting. I also use the "Standard Scene" setting.

(Switch to 1080p)

ch1_a.jpg ch2_a.jpg

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Bigredfish, might as well keep the slow shutter off then. Also use the the "standard scene 1" setting and on some cams use the "low light scene" setting - low light scene is excellent especially in the evening, but find it produces more motion blur during the day.

BTW, excellent night time footage on starlight mode, looks great, and a lot of police activity at 1AM :wtf:
Is that camera lens set at 2.8mm or have you zoomed it in?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Its zoomed a smidge, Im guessing 3.6-4mm

That particular night the neighborhood drunk got a bit frisky and had to spend the night in the County lockup to sleep it off...

Obviously the benefit of mounting lower, say 6'-7' is that you get good depth of field. While the action is at about 75-90' I still get fairly good detail out there, but the camera is focused on my vehicles..