Dahua HDW4231EM installation - POE switch

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

As recommended on this forum i bought a Dahua HDW4231EM.

I currently have hikvisions cameras linked to a Buffalo POE switch. I disconnected one camera, and connected the Dahua instead. The poe switch recognize the camera, I see the red light on the camera.
I installed configtool, refreshed, changed the filter to "192.168.1.108" and I don't find the camera. I tried to put "192.168.1.108" in the address bar but I don't find the cam. I viewed several subjects on the forum. I changed the ipv4 address of my Wifi to "192.168.1.108", nothing.

Also, I wanted to connect it directly to the router to check if configtool found it. I don't have the power cable, but I was wondering if I could use the power adapter of my computer: Lps ASUS F550L F555L charger 65W
I see on the instruction manual that the limited power source is rated DC12V or AC 24V, so I guess that's a bad idea to connect my computer cable to the camera?

I am probably missing something very obvious. Can you help me please? Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As recommended on this forum i bought a Dahua HDW4231EM.

I currently have hikvisions cameras linked to a Buffalo POE switch. I disconnected one camera, and connected the Dahua instead. The poe switch recognize the camera, I see the red light on the camera.
I installed configtool, refreshed, changed the filter to "192.168.1.108" and I don't find the camera. I tried to put "192.168.1.108" in the address bar but I don't find the cam. I viewed several subjects on the forum. I changed the ipv4 address of my Wifi to "192.168.1.108", nothing.

Also, I wanted to connect it directly to the router to check if configtool found it. I don't have the power cable, but I was wondering if I could use the power adapter of my computer: Lps ASUS F550L F555L charger 65W
I see on the instruction manual that the limited power source is rated DC12V or AC 24V, so I guess that's a bad idea to connect my computer cable to the camera?

I am probably missing something very obvious. Can you help me please? Thank you!
Your network/router must be on the same subnet as the camera...what is the ip address of your router?
the easiest thing to do is connect the pc and camera only to the switch and manually change the ipv4 address of the pc to 192.168.1.100....it will then see the camera, then set the cameras ip to whatever you want and set the pc back to auto...there are many threads that detail how to do this.
I dont even know what "I changed the ipv4 address of my Wifi to "192.168.1.108", nothing." means....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the latest version of Configtool, at the top, click "Search Settings".
Put check mark in both Segment search boxs
In start IP box, put 192.168.1.1
In End box put 192.168.1.255.
click ok.
Click on the big blue search ball at the top.
Change IP of cam to match your current network IP range.

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wanted to say that I did the same as this guy, at 1:24:

Except I changed the settings like this:

Use the Ip following address:
IP address: 192.168.1.108
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
No default gateway, maybe I should put one?

The ip address of my router is : http://192.168.0.1/

When I go in the settings of my router, I see this:

IP address : 24.193.90.253
Subnet mask: 255.255.252.0
Gateway address: 24.193.88.1

For the moment I have the 11 cameras connected to the POE switch + the Dahua, and my computer is connected wireless. Fenderman, you mean I need to directly connect my computer to the POE switch? Do i keep the cameras connected, or do I need to disconnect them all except the Dahua? Did you mean change the ip address to 192.168.1.108? Or do I need to really put on 192.168.1.100?

Looney, I did what you said. I don't see a big blue ball but I clicked on the arrow to refresh it, but I still don't see the camera so I can't change the IP. I didn't expect the dahua installation to be so tricky :wow:

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Something interesting maybe, I tried to ping "192.168.1.108" in the cmd, it says "request timed out". Might be interesting to understand that something is wrong in my installation?

I just connected one Dahua camera on the POE switch, and my computer is connected by wifi to my router, that's it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Something interesting maybe, I tried to ping "192.168.1.108" in the cmd, it says "request timed out". Might be interesting to understand that something is wrong in my installation?

I just connected one Dahua camera on the POE switch, and my computer is connected by wifi to my router, that's it.
You will never hit the camera..your router is on a different subnet.
Follow my directions.. there are a bunch of threads that explain it in detail..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Wiiiiiill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello fenderman, a quick message, I managed to find the camera on configtool, I checked the camera on internet, woooooow! Muuuuuch better than hikvision! The quality of the video is incredible, we see everything in full darkness. And the sound is also much better! I did some tests, not sure if the filter is on but there is no "echo" it's really clear. I will definitely buy a batch of those ( around 30 ) for these 2 rooms + the other 2 rooms that we will build. The feeling of looking at the camera image on the browser was so awesome!
I need to configure it now with the different tools, I'll see that in the next days, we have people to lock (we are an escape room in NYC, do not call the police, lol)! Thank you so much fenderman for your recommendation and your help. You know what you are doing! :)

Last edited: