Dahua International Version and Firmware updates

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When looking online and coming across Dahua International IP cameras I have the following question.

When the seller states firmware can not be upgraded , is that locked in stone?

For example 4431 series, the option in the web interface is there to upload firmware.

If firmware is not allowed to be upgraded why would that be?

Thanks !

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Not all sellers of those cams are on the level, If they are telling you about NON upgrade-able firmware, than what you have is a Chinese region camera with hacked firmware into English, International Cams CAN be upgraded for the most part. Their is a reason that they are so cheap. This issue has been covered MANY times here on IPCT, simply using the search feature would Yield you a ton of threads on this issue. If you tried to upgrade your firmware, you might end up with a Bricked camera.If their was a auto update feature, you might end up back in Chinese. Its really a crap shoot when it comes to cheap cameras, some here use them, I have one and have not had good luck with it. Buyer Beware!

Last edited:

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the auto update "check for new firmware version" feature part of the hacked firmware of just a normal part of newer Dahua firmwares?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
When the seller states that the camera firmware cannot be upgraded that's most likely because it's a chinese market camera, which the 4431 series is. Is it locked in stone? Yes and no. The cameras have a hardware region ID that the firmware checks, and the standard international firmware either doesn't work or won't do english. Whether the camera bricks or reverts to chinese for the UI, I thankfully have not found out. Going back over a year, the hacked cameras shipped with firmware version 2.420.0000.21R. Image-wise it worked well, the IVS features worked, but there were some interface compatibility problems with a dahua NVR that made their use a bit of a pain. The hacked cameras now generally ship with the current 2.420.0000.22R firmware (hacked) that has fixed the NVR compatibility problems, and in my experience is indistinguishable from the operation of a genuine international camera. There's a thread about tools for modifying the firmware here Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware. The 2.420.0000.22R firmware has been modified by industrious people and is available to update 4431-series and other chinese market cameras. If that version works well enough for you, you're set. If there's a future version you want to upgrade to, you have to either hack it yourself or count on somebody else to do it and make it available.

Aside from the firmware issues, many of the chinese market cameras are marketed as "starlight". When you read about starlight cameras on the forum it is referring to 5xxx or higher series cameras, that have larger image sensors than the 4xxx series cameras. I don't know the formal definition of "starlight", but I believe the term is being misused with the 4xxx cameras. The 4xxx cameras have good images and are IMO a great value, but they definitely do not have the low light sensitivity of the starlight cameras discussed on the forum.

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But, is the "check for new firmware version" feature part of the hacked firmware of just a normal part of newer NON hacked Dahua firmwares?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
But, is the "check for new firmware version" feature part of the hacked firmware of just a normal part of newer NON hacked Dahua firmwares?
Can you tell me where on the menu structure this is? I don't recall ever seeing it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Aside from the firmware issues, many of the chinese market cameras are marketed as "starlight". ...
Thanks Tigerwillow,

For those following note that I have seen numerous Chinese vendors on Aliexpress claim they are selling "Dahua Starlights" - which clearly are not, but simply normal quality imaging with IR leds in low light conditions.

Do be cautious when purchasing from Aliexpress, Ebay, and Amazon as there are a significant amount of sellers who are not completely honest in their descriptions of the product.

Try to stick with vendors and cameras which our members here have had better experiences with.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
That is a manual update within the firmware of the cam, they all have that, you would download a *.bin file usually connected to your network and upload it to the cam, can they be upgraded YES but the seller is telling IF you do you and you brick it we told you so, they are not in the business of updating their hacked firmware.

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is a manual update within the firmware of the cam, they all have that, you would download a *.bin file usually connected to your network and upload it to the cam, can they be upgraded YES but the seller is telling IF you do you and you brick it we told you so, they are not in the business of updating their hacked firmware.

They all have that? I'm referring to being able to search for the firmware update within the web interface. I just noticed it ONLY with a firmware (Legit) update of my IFW 4421 4MP . None of my other Dahuas ( 2m , 3mp, 5MP, or 8MP have them)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Picture worth 1,000 words! Looks like there's no sweeping general statement that can be made. All I can say is that the 4431M, 4431K, and 4431R-Z with the 2.420.0000.22R firmware do not have check for firmware version feature. upgradePage.jpg

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
They all have that? I'm referring to being able to search for the firmware update within the web interface. I just noticed it ONLY with a firmware (Legit) update of my IFW 4421 4MP . None of my other Dahuas ( 2m , 3mp, 5MP, or 8MP have them)
I know the last few NVR's and Cameras I installed had a auto update to phone home and autodate if so desired. They were USA oem Dahua tho not the chinese region cams.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You are correct on the legit ones, That is something fairly new to Dahua to help with security. I bet you will not find that on the chinese region cams.

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know the last few NVR's and Cameras I installed had a auto update to phone home and autodate if so desired. They were USA oem Dahua tho not the chinese region cams.
The IPC-HFW 4421s were USA OEM dahuas that took a genuine Dahua firmware update which added manual check for firmware, not a Chinese hacked version.

I guess what I am wondering is if Manual check for firmwares within web interface is now standard with very new firmwares

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are correct on the legit ones, That is something fairly new to Dahua to help with security. I bet you will not find that on the chinese region cams.

You are probably right !

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So an International version modified with a firmware to make it English is a genuine camera meant for an overseas market not the USA?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
So an International version modified with a firmware to make it English is a genuine camera meant for an overseas market not the USA?
Dahua Has regional Cameras, the International models usually do pretty good everywhere. They also have USA region Cams or the ones I get are called OEM with a different naming convention and the Official USA re-sellers took care of firmware that was passed down to the resellers for the Installers and end users.
Now the Chinese region cameras that you can get on Ali Express and Ebay and amazon, They are NOT supported by Dahua and they make it pretty clear that if you purchase from those vendors you are pretty much on your own as far as support. Now we see a new feature with auto update and Dahua Knows by the S/N of the camera what region and firmware it is suppose to get, If there is a need to update for security reasons it will be a LOT easier to update instead of letting the end user guess what firmware it needs. The firmware for the Cams has been a real sore spot for dahua and the Black eye they have gotten in the past for issues with security exploits. I personally like the idea of that because it will make it easy to update, I also would NOT leave the camera in Auto Check mode because they will be phoning home all the time if exposed to the internet. I think Its a step in the right direction for them and are making a effort to clean up their marketing mess that was created By them. Empire Andy sell International stuff and is all English and for the most part up gradable.