Dahua IP Camera HDW4431R-Z and HDW4433C-A Constantly Rebooting

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I have a combination of the above cameras that are tied into a Dahua NVR4216 (16Channel). Total of 12 cameras.

Within the past few weeks, the 4 out of 12 cameras started rebooting at random times. As much as a 12 to 24 times in an hour.

All are connected to several POE switches. I have moved the connections around figuring that the POE switch is going bad. I have even replaced one of the POE switches. Nothing has worked.

I have set the cameras to 720P resolution 30 FPS VBR at 6 Bit Rate at 2048. I have tried setting the cameras to H264 and H264. I have turned off the Onvif since all the cameras are connected to the Dahua NVR.

I am at a loss that all of a sudden the cameras have started rebooting. Cameras are anywhere from 2 to 3 years old.

Dahua support has refused to offer any suggestions or assistance.

Anyone run into this problem before? Any suggestions?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
A few things come to mind here, first can you post a diagram of your network, not just the cams but all connected devices. That will help.
When I diagnose network issues, I start at the source and work backwards, I would isolate one cam at a time and let it run outsideof your network, like just watching it on a PC with a spare poe switch or power injector. See if it still has the same issue isolated, if it does then you have connection or hardware issues, did you do your own wiring? Have you had any blackouts or power issues that come to mind? Also is your networked secured? Do the cams have access to the internet? Being hacked is a low possibility but Its a good thing to check into.

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
A few things come to mind here, first can you post a diagram of your network, not just the cams but all connected devices. That will help.
When I diagnose network issues, I start at the source and work backwards, I would isolate one cam at a time and let it run outsideof your network, like just watching it on a PC with a spare poe switch or power injector. See if it still has the same issue isolated, if it does then you have connection or hardware issues, did you do your own wiring? Have you had any blackouts or power issues that come to mind? Also is your networked secured? Do the cams have access to the internet? Being hacked is a low possibility but Its a good thing to check into.
Hello. Thank you for your reply. Here is my response to your questions.

1. I would isolate one cam at a time and let it run outsideof your network, like just watching it on a PC with a spare poe switch or power injector. See if it still has the same issue isolated, - I can do this. I have a few spare injectors I can use. I will test in a few days.

2. Did you do your own wiring? - Yes. All wired 3 years ago with Cat 6 cabling.

3. Have you had any blackouts or power issues that come to mind? Yes we have since I installed everything over the years. No major issues come to mind when all of the issues started.

4. Also is your networked secured? - Yes. All password protected along with each camera login.

5. Do the cams have access to the internet? - No. Cameras are not set to access the internet. Access function to each camera have been disabled.

I made up a network map via Excel spreadsheet. See attached.

Thank you.

Steve

Attachments

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Lots going on with your home network, Good job with excel, Lots of switches and cabling that can cause glitches. You network looks good, all static. One thing I did not mention to cover all the bases is firmware updates and SD Cards, Again, its always good to check, especially if you updated your NVR firmware. SD Cards can also cause those Issues. If that's all good, Isolate and work backwards.
SmartPss on a laptop is always a good way watch the cams while in isolation.

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks.

Firmware updates are current on both routers. There are no NVR and Camera updates. Checked all of that.

I will work on the problem cameras first and isolate them from the POE switch with their own power supply. I just ordered a new network cable tester that can check POE lines. I will also check each line and see if there is a power feed problem or broken/shorted cable somewhere.

The only item that is new to the system is the Wireless Extender. I connected it to a POE splitter and then plugged it into the POE switch. The 2 wireless cameras that are connected are working fine with the extender. So I am almost certain that is not the problem. Only those 2 cameras have the SD cards and I never installed any in them.

It could simply be the POE switches with intermittent power problems? Not sure. I moved the camera cables around on the switches to see if it was isolated to one POE switch. So far, does not seem to be the problem. Check the cabling will be next.

Could it be these dahua cameras just burn out after a year or two? I realize they are not the most expensive cameras on the market.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks.

Firmware updates are current on both routers. There are no NVR and Camera updates. Checked all of that.

I will work on the problem cameras first and isolate them from the POE switch with their own power supply. I just ordered a new network cable tester that can check POE lines. I will also check each line and see if there is a power feed problem or broken/shorted cable somewhere.

The only item that is new to the system is the Wireless Extender. I connected it to a POE splitter and then plugged it into the POE switch. The 2 wireless cameras that are connected are working fine with the extender. So I am almost certain that is not the problem. Only those 2 cameras have the SD cards and I never installed any in them.

It could simply be the POE switches with intermittent power problems? Not sure. I moved the camera cables around on the switches to see if it was isolated to one POE switch. So far, does not seem to be the problem. Check the cabling will be next.

Could it be these dahua cameras just burn out after a year or two? I realize they are not the most expensive cameras on the market.
Hardware wise, Dahua is VERY reliable, Software and firmware...well not so much, unless you had a surge, fat chance 4 cams would go bad at once.

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
Well.....wanted to give everyone an update on the rebooting Dahua IP cameras. The cameras that are rebooting, were found to be the Chinese clone cameras aka "OEM" Dahua IP cameras. These cameras do not permit themselves to have their firmware updated. So basically, they are nothing but bricks when the firmware becomes corrupted. In my case, for some reason, the firmware in these clone cameras have become corrupt and is causing them to reboot.

I have checked the POE power to each camera and found that the power required is within spec. I did replace one POE switch with a new one and tested each of the suspect cameras with that new POE switch. That did not eliminate the problem with the rebooting.

I purchased 4 new Dahua IP Cameras, USA upgradable versions. Those were plugged into the POE switch and all are working as expected. No issues. NONE!

So, the OEM clone cameras are simply disposable. For an additional 20% to 30% more in costs, it is best to just buy a IP camera that is USA upgradable from a reputable seller.

Thank you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In my case, for some reason, the firmware in these clone cameras have become corrupt and is causing them to reboot.
Generally speaking, that's not something that happens, especially with several at a time.
When left alone, nothing will change.
These cameras do not permit themselves to have their firmware updated.
Was a firmware update attempted?

Were the cameras accessible from the internet? I wonder if they have been messed with, maybe hacked.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 4431r-z that's been running for 4 years, I did do the firmware mod from @cor35vet. Its been very stable, and NOT exposed to the internet. It does sound like your cams might have been compromised as @alastairstevenson deduced. Some dahua NVR's will also might not play nice with the Chinese cams, perhaps the NVR firmware was updated and decided it did not like those cams but if the cams were isolated from the NVR on a different segment and still rebooting, that points to the cams.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The cameras that are rebooting, were found to be the Chinese clone cameras aka "OEM" Dahua IP cameras. These cameras do not permit themselves to have their firmware updated.
Not the same camera model as your problem ones - but also a Chinese market model - a while ago I bought a 'spares and repairs' HDW4431C-A off eBay.
On inspection, it was in a bootloop.
Checking the internal log showed there hadn't been any firmware updates, but the last change was a configuration item.
A 'reset to defaults' cleared the bootloop and the camera was in service for ages until I swapped it out for a higher spec model and re-sold on eBay.
I think there is a fair bit of anecdotal evidence that some configuration combinations can embarrass early Dahua firmware.
It's certainly something that's recommended after any firmware updates.

If you've not tried resetting to defaults, that may be worth doing.
1606834898798.png

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 4431r-z that's been running for 4 years, I did do the firmware mod from @cor35vet. Its been very stable, and NOT exposed to the internet. It does sound like your cams might have been compromised as @alastairstevenson deduced. Some dahua NVR's will also might not play nice with the Chinese cams, perhaps the NVR firmware was updated and decided it did not like those cams but if the cams were isolated from the NVR on a different segment and still rebooting, that points to the cams.
Cameras may have had access to the internet. Not real sure since they are networked. None of the cameras have had any firmware updated. Problem cameras are IPC-HDW4433C-A and IPC-HFW4431R-Z.

I can connect to each camera via Internet Explorer within the network. I deleted the camera from the NVR and connected directly. I did not have any problems with rebooting issues. Only when the cameras are connected to the NVR, then I get random rebooting. So, your statement regarding the NVR firmware makes sense. With Dahua USA not willing to assist in resolving this problem because of OEM Dahua Cameras, I am not sure how to resolve this problem.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is the link on the mod kit, read through carefully, I Know if I did not mod the firmware in my 4431 it would NOT be working on my newer NVR. I re-read it and I saw something mentioned about Smart Codecs messing things up and causing boot loops, Something in that thread might jump out at you.

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to shout out to Chris for looking into a possible upgrade into these cameras.

The firmware versions seem to be older than what my cameras list. Has anyone tried to upgrade the firmware for any of these cameras to an older firmware version?

I am thinking about trying this but just wanted to see if anyone has done this before.

Thanks!

Camera #1:
Device Type IPC-HFW4431R-Z
System Version 2.621.0000.28.R, Build Date: 2017-09-12
WEB Version 3.2.1.495007
ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.3.1.460928)

Camera #2:
Device Type IPC-HDW4433C-A
System Version 2.621.0000.28.R, Build Date: 2017-09-12
WEB Version 3.2.1.495007
ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.3.1.460928)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running the firmware from the mods thread in the 4431R-Z, version 2.420.0000.22R build date 2016-12-09. I agree with c chris that it's stable and works well. But I'm not able to answer if your current firmware will let you switch over to it.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running the firmware from the mods thread in the 4431R-Z, version 2.420.0000.22R build date 2016-12-09. I agree with c chris that it's stable and works well. But I'm not able to answer if your current firmware will let you switch over to it.
Yea, after everybody figured out the chinese firmware, they pretty much stopped buying those cams, I re-read just about the whole thread and I think I remember them putting the poison pill in the newer versions of firmware, I have not seen @cor35vet around here as of late, perhaps someone will chime in.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just bought two OEM IPC-HFW4431R-Z cameras from amazon for $18.41 each! They were recommended to me by someone here for use as "IR cannon," e.g. illuminators, not as actual cameras, so my expectations are extraordinarily low.

Since I have 2 units en-route, I do have some freedom to experiment.

If one of these gets bricked and/or goes into a boot loop, do the IR lights go on?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought two OEM IPC-HFW4431R-Z cameras from amazon for $18.41 each! They were recommended to me by someone here for use as "IR cannon," e.g. illuminators, not as actual cameras, so my expectations are extraordinarily low.

Since I have 2 units en-route, I do have some freedom to experiment.

If one of these gets bricked and/or goes into a boot loop, do the IR lights go on?
The IRs will go off during rebooting and then should come back on when the unit finally resets itself until the next boot loop.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.