Dahua IP camera recommendation?

Lu-Max

n3wb
Reaction score
I am building a new workshop plus a guest cottage in my back yard and was planning to use a Foscam FI9828P mounted under the soffit at the front roof peak for security. I may AirBnB the guest cottage from time to time so I need a good security camera. I also want to keep my pricey shop equipment and tools safe. After having used Foscam cameras for years I am now considering installing a Dahua instead. I currently have 9 Foscam cameras on my property including a FI9828P that I use to keep an eye on my fish pond. I just got a used Dahua N84BB14 to learn the GUI.

My requirements are it needs to have excellent night vision, 20+ or greater zoom, POE, and I would prefer 4MP or 4K if possible although that is not a deal breaker. Minimum would be 2MP.

One other consideration for where I live is spiders. We have millions of spiders here year round and at least once (or more) a week I have to sweep down the spiderwebs that have been created in front of my IP cameras. I particularly hate it when the wind blows and those spiderwebs cause the motion detectors to trigger the cameras a multitude of times overnight. For this reason I would be very hesitant to install an IP camera that does not have a clear dome covering the camera, I fear that one of the "open-camera" models would quickly get packed with spiderwebs and other crud. Since this one will be higher up it would be a PITA to have to go up there and clean off the webs often, definitely want the style pictured below for these reasons.

Very curious what your model recommendations would be? Budget would be a maximum of $1200, although staying well below that would be far better. Thanks.

Lu-Max

n3wb
Reaction score
One more thing, I noticed that some of the Dahua IP cameras have -15 or -20 to 90 degrees of tilt while others have 0-90 degrees. Does 0-90 degrees mean from level with the horizon to fully down? How is the -15 or -20 defined? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am building a new workshop plus a guest cottage in my back yard and was planning to use a Foscam FI9828P mounted under the soffit at the front roof peak for security. I may AirBnB the guest cottage from time to time so I need a good security camera. I also want to keep my pricey shop equipment and tools safe. After having used Foscam cameras for years I am now considering installing a Dahua instead. I currently have 9 Foscam cameras on my property including a FI9828P that I use to keep an eye on my fish pond. I just got a used Dahua N84BB14 to learn the GUI.

My requirements are it needs to have excellent night vision, 20+ or greater zoom, POE, and I would prefer 4MP or 4K if possible although that is not a deal breaker. Minimum would be 2MP.

One other consideration for where I live is spiders. We have millions of spiders here year round and at least once (or more) a week I have to sweep down the spiderwebs that have been created in front of my IP cameras. I particularly hate it when the wind blows and those spiderwebs cause the motion detectors to trigger the cameras a multitude of times overnight. For this reason I would be very hesitant to install an IP camera that does not have a clear dome covering the camera, I fear that one of the "open-camera" models would quickly get packed with spiderwebs and other crud. Since this one will be higher up it would be a PITA to have to go up there and clean off the webs often, definitely want the style pictured below for these reasons.

Very curious what your model recommendations would be? Budget would be a maximum of $1200, although staying well below that would be far better. Thanks.

that camera has no built in ir....you have spider issues because you are using cameras (likely bullets) with an ir ring around the lens...use a turret design...you dont need a ptz, unless you plan on manning the camera 24/7, otherwise get a few turrets that will provide much more coverage

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Lu-Max -20 tilt is 20 deg up tilt from horizontal to 90 deg down (straight down).
@fenderman , if he needs less than a 10 deg FOV, i don't think turret will get him there. A Z12 bullet will get it done for less than a PTZ, however I suspect that @Lu-Max doesn't need either one and can get much better coverage with multiple turrets like the 5231 as you allude to. If Spiders are a big deal use external IR illumination and keep IR off on the cameras. They are fully weather tight, so you can use a medium pressure washer to clean them 25 or more feet up if need be (don't hit them with 3000 psi though).

Lu-Max

n3wb
Reaction score
bug99 - thanks for the tilt description, cleared that up for me. :)

I definitely want a PTZ that I can slew around and zoom on the front of the building, I do not want multiple cameras for this particular setup. I have a long driveway and want to be able to zoom down it since the new building will line up with the driveway. Zoomed out I want to see the entire parking area and driveway. I do use a few turret cameras for other things, all FI9853EP models. I would prefer to not have an additional IR illuminator, so maybe one of the non-IR Starlight models?

BTW, my IP cameras are not the only place I have spider problems. Just about everywhere on my house and especially up in the soffits they are everywhere. I regularly spray or sweep them down but they come back quickly.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The IR attracts bugs. The spiders figure this out quickly (smart, eh?) and WILL string a web across the front of the cam where the IR ring is located, causing image clarity and/or motion detection issues.