Dahua IP HFW5442E-ZE vs HFW5241E-ZE

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking at replacing one of my older 2mp cameras that face the street with either the 4mp HFW5442E-ZE (IPC-HFW5442E-ZE) or the 2mp HFW5241E-ZE (IPC-HFW5241E-ZE) - both with WizMind AI

Between these two camera, which one performs better in low light / at night, and produces a better quality night time image?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are both on the ideal MP/sensor ratio.

The 5442 series is still considered by many to be the current overall king and would be your best option.

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those are both on the ideal MP/sensor ratio.

The 5442 series is still considered by many to be the current overall king and would be your best option.
Thank you, appreciate the feedback. I just have two other questions...

On the latest spec sheet for these models;

The 5241 has a minimum illumination rating of:
0.002 lux@F1.5 (Color, 30 IRE)
0.0002 lux@F1.5 (B/W, 30 IRE)
0 lux (Illuminator on)

The 5442 has a minimum illumination rating of:
0.003 lux@F1.8 (Color, 30 IRE)
0.0003 lux@F1.8 (B/W, 30 IRE)
0 lux (Illuminator on)

1) For my own understudying of how these lux ratings work, can someone explain these to me?

I have also noticed that on the older spec sheet, Dahua had different ratings for the exact same models...
For the 5241 on older spec sheet
0.0028Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
0.0217Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F1.5 (IR on)

For the 5442 on older spec sheet
0.0024Lux/F1.8 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
0.059Lux/F1.8 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F1.8 (IR on)

2) How come is there a difference regarding lux ratings on the newer vs older spec sheets for the same models?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to take those with a grain of salt.

The older spec sheet was a little better because you knew what conditions the numbers are developed in.

So when it says Color, 1/3s they are telling you that the Lux rating was based on a shutter speed of 1/3 of a second, which means the shutter is wide open slow and motion would be a complete blur. You need a minimum of 1/60s shutter to reduce blur of a person walking.

So the reason for the difference in the Lux ratings is based on the parameters the camera is set to. I believe Dahua quit doing it the old way because then the camera wouldn't look as impressive as other cameras that would do the slowest shutter setting to develop the Lux rating.

That is why you don't put much stock in these ratings. Every manufacturer tweaks their camera to get the "best" lux rating it can, but nobody would run the camera in the settings they did to get the lux ratings.

So the best bet is to look at the reviews here on the camera where members here show you video and stills from motion shots and you can see the light they had available and determine if it is close to what you have or not. Do not rely on Amazon and other site reviews because the general consumer is fascinated with a bright image. You never see motion in the amazon reviews. You can make any camera look nice and bright and great out at midnight if you slow the shutter and up the gain, but then motion is a complete blur.

Last edited:

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for your prompt reply.

This site is my trusted source for security camera information, I don't look else where for reviews, except on youtube to see playback footage of certain models if available (some members have youtube channels too that I subscribe to).

No point having a nice bright image at night if the person or vehicle is blurred out due to a lot of motion blur. It renders the footage pretty useless.

I will be getting the 5442 both for the darker street application that will just rely on street lights as well as for the forecourt of the house where there are driveway and garden lights.