Dahua IPC Camera Losing Connection / Re-Connecting

Smack2k

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 4 Dahua IPC Cameras around my house outside. One of them keeps losing network connection and then connecting up again. Sometimes it will go a day or two not connected, then a few days connected. This process has been repeating itself. The camera is in a tough to access location at the top part of the outside of my home. I went up and tested the cable (its hardwired to a POE Switch) and the cable tests fine, all 8 wires showing good connections on both ends. The port on the switch isnt the issue as I've changed to another port to test and have same issues.

Could my cable still be bad even though its testing as good?

Anything else I could check on or try without having to get out the Gorilla Ladder, extend it all the way up and climb back up there to the camera?

Smack2k

n3wb
Reaction score
Wiring scheme is fine. I did the cable ends myself. I've done 100s of them so Im pretty confident it was done correct. Pretty confident I say.....lol. Maybe it is the wiring.....its odd though as it worked flawlessly for about a year before these issues started showing up.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
IS the camera outside? Moisture can get into things you would never expect it to. Just the tiny amount of condensation that happens with heating and cooling from season to season can add up after a while. Maybe cleaning the RJ45 connection at the camera end will help. Use some dielectric grease on that RJ, just a little dab on the male pins works for me. Then install a cable glans, tape with quality tape, then wrap with self amalgamating tape.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same problem, but the connection is lost for only a minute or so. It is IPC-HDW2231R-ZS camera. I have checked on connections and have dielectric grease on the connector. The NVR shows a blank space on the recording when this happens.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
All othr things being equal, the next likely culprit is a bad cable or bad termination inside an RJ connector. Test using a known good cable that is terminated 568 A or B, preferably B.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have an SD card in the camera? If so, some of these cams get wonky trying to figure out how to record and delete when it is full. I have had that happen and a reformat of the SD card fixes it.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Amcrest with Dahua firmware that was doing this about every 6-7 hours.
I ended up turning off the recording and it quit. So I switched to recording upon motion and it only happens once a month or so.
I was going to see how long the SC card would last with 24/7 recording...