Dahua IPC-HDW4431C-A mounting ?

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First time user with dahau cams and trying to understand how the cam "housing" operates. I saw where the actual cam pops out from the housing but unsure how you adjust / lock down the cam once you have it positioned accordingly?

Previous experience with the Hik's that have the lock screw....only thing I see on these dahau's is a push button deal but I've push that and nothing moves, turns, etc.

I apologize in advance for the silly ?'s.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First time user with dahau cams and trying to understand how the cam "housing" operates. I saw where the actual cam pops out from the housing but unsure how you adjust / lock down the cam once you have it positioned accordingly?

Previous experience with the Hik's that have the lock screw....only thing I see on these dahau's is a push button deal but I've push that and nothing moves, turns, etc.

I apologize in advance for the silly ?'s.....
I dont believe the cheap china region dahua's have a set screw..you cant lock it down..

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dont believe the cheap china region dahua's have a set screw..you cant lock it down..
Good to know...hope it doesn't move / swivel too much...oh well get what u pay for:)

Thanks again for your response fenderman.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This plastic base is very easy to move. Taking out is tricky, I don't believe, that in a few years it's possible without damaging it.
I don't like this cheap version. It has many disadvantages.

-no secure locking of balls eye
- Plastic and sun is no good idea
- Chinese domesticated version, the global one is full metall
- firmware upgrade is not officially supported
- missing Web functions, or hidden sometimes p2p is active and can't be switched off
- possible back doors for Chinese law

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
PFB203W can use for this one. Better use the stainless one, or else easy broken after longtime outside.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
4 Megapixel

These are international versions.

IPC-HDW4431EM-AS | Dahua Technology

This is a good working one, although for lowlight and security usage is the starlight 2mp hdw5231 much better for around 1/3,price upgrade (170 dollar)

If you use it for p.e. pet watching the cheaper c-a is ok, when you change the firmware. Otherwise when someone can reach the cam is just a second to turn the cam and you have nothing to record!

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't like this cheap version. It has many disadvantages.

- missing Web functions, or hidden sometimes p2p is active and can't be switched off
- possible back doors for Chinese law
Sorry for the delayed response....I have to admit...after reading this it kind of has me concerned? I will log into the camera menu to ensure I see an option for "cloud" or "p2p" and make sure it is turned off. Although not sure how else to tell if there is a back door set up for someone in china. Hopefully it helps that I strictly use vpn...?

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4 Megapixel

These are international versions.

IPC-HDW4431EM-AS | Dahua Technology

This is a good working one, although for lowlight and security usage is the starlight 2mp hdw5231 much better for around 1/3,price upgrade (170 dollar)

If you use it for p.e. pet watching the cheaper c-a is ok, when you change the firmware. Otherwise when someone can reach the cam is just a second to turn the cam and you have nothing to record!
Thanks for the input...I am familiar with reading about the starlight cams on here and understand how they are all the rage right now (with good reason I might add). But for me I couldn't justify $170 bucks for multiple locations at this point in time compared to $64. I can almost buy 3 for the price of 1. I would like to try one of the starlights and I will try one I magine in the future...just not right now.

Do you know if the 4431EM-AS is able to be locked down so they don't move like the Hik turrets?

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the input...I am familiar with reading about the starlight cams on here and understand how they are all the rage right now (with good reason I might add). But for me I couldn't justify $170 bucks for multiple locations at this point in time compared to $64. I can almost buy 3 for the price of 1. I would like to try one of the starlights and I will try one I magine in the future...just not right now.

Do you know if the 4431EM-AS is able to be locked down so they don't move like the Hik turrets?
You need to buy a metal base international version. This one has a screw, fixing the ball. Without tools, it´s not possible to move it.

Sorry for the delayed response....I have to admit...after reading this it kind of has me concerned? I will log into the camera menu to ensure I see an option for "cloud" or "p2p" and make sure it is turned off. Although not sure how else to tell if there is a back door set up for someone in china. Hopefully it helps that I strictly use vpn...?
If you have no p2p or easy4ip menu options, then you can be for sure, that the p2p is open and active. First step for every setup is to change the default password! And it´s better to define a second admin account, because the admin account will be blocked, when someone is trying to hack it. In this case you have a second user who is able to access the webif.
vpn is a perfect good choice, but it doesn´t prevent hijacking for bots, if p2p is active with default passwords! p2p goes over port 80 through all firewalls and nats! If you can exam outgoing traffic, if you can see connections to amazon cloud services comming from your cam p.e. this could be p2p services.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a pic of the cam since it was installed in the garage.....

Also wanted to inquire for those familiar with the camera under what settings area would be p2p or easy4ip be listed as I do not see anything like that? I just wanted to be sure since these are cams from china there are no backdoor holes where someone might be able to view the images.

I have turned off everything that I could see in the menu (PPPOE, UPNP, Bonjour, Multicast, 802.1x etc) but I specifically did not see p2p or easy4ip listed anywhere in the menu....

Attachments

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Ouch @Roman - not the best mounting spot. How much does that camera do for you when the garage door is open?

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ouch @Roman - not the best mounting spot. How much does that camera do for you when the garage door is open?
@zero-degrees ....lol...don't worry that camera is not my "primary" garage camera...I have my primary camera diagonal to this one. This camera was basically a chance for me to one try a "cheapie" dahua cam for fun and two just to keep an eye on my "kegerator" in the corner of the garage:)