Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z IR settings and Profiles

Reaction score
Greeting! After quite a bit of study, I went with the general consensus and deployed several HDW5231R-Z cameras. I am very impressed with their low light capabilities.

The cameras shipped with PAL format firmware and although I'm told that it shouldn't matter, I flashed the NTSC versions of 2.622.0000000.18.R, Build Date: 2017-11-10 and everything seems fine. I did a reset after the flash (except for the login and IP info). Subjectively, the NTSC firmware seems "snappier" in the Web GUI.

My current issue now is that I can't seem to get the camera to save two separate profile configurations (Day and Night) with respect to the IR settings. The SmartIR setting is probably fine and switches from off to on when night falls. However, I find that at night the IR is so bright and/or the Starlight chip so sensitive, that the auto exposure blacks out much of the distant background in the frame. I find that if I set the IR to manual with a setting of 1, then I get some of the IR illumination, but the aperture stays open enough to see more distant features.

So during the day I want the IR off and at night I'd like Manual 1.

However, it seems as if there is only one setting for all profiles. Regardless of the profile pull down widget state - when I change the IR setting it takes effect immediately. As a matter of fact, I can't seem to get the settings to change at all when I go to the top of the dialog box and pull down "Day" or "Night" or anything else. I've gone to the "Profile Management" tab and set schedules, and full-time Day or Night (sometimes I see Morning and Evening in the full time pull down - but not always).

So am I'm missing some magic incantation in getting different profiles to actually "stick" with different settings?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Profiles have been borked for awhile on Dahua. This is addressed in the cliff notes, in the Wiki at the top of the page. It is generally recommended to use the Dahua profile switching utility created by bp2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Profiles have been borked for awhile on Dahua. This is addressed in the cliff notes, in the Wiki at the top of the page. It is generally recommended to use the Dahua profile switching utility created by bp2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the reply. My issue isn't (yet) about switching between profiles, it is trying to define the two different profiles with different IR and other values. I can't seem to do that first step.

I'll take a look at the sunrise/sunset source code. I see that the configuration for that utility allows you to set a night and day zoom and focus. Maybe I can add other parameters and sent the configurations that way.

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Day/Night switch is now fixed:

20180523 Firmware for DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea

However, it still does not allow you to set a different IR setting during "Day" and "Night". Here's my $.02 though. It doesn't really matter, because the IR doesn't come on when in "Day" mode anyways. So when it does come on (Night) it will be set correctly regardless.

Reaction score
However, it still does not allow you to set a different IR setting during "Day" and "Night". Here's my $.02 though. It doesn't really matter, because the IR doesn't come on when in "Day" mode anyways. So when it does come on (Night) it will be set correctly regardless.
Thanks for the info. That wasn't immediately obvious to me. I didn't want to force the IR on during the day only for the sake of setting a dim level for the night. But if the camera is smart enough to shut off IR during the day regardless, then it's all goooood!