Dahua makes a wifi router

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would not trust Dahua to build a secure router either. And 802.11AC? Why so old?

It is like my ISP. They finally started taking registrations for fiber installation in the area where I live (thanks to government funding), and I asked what equipment they are providing. Apparently they are still installing the same old router/AP combo unit they started getting in about 2014 (Calix Gigacenter). These have plain first-generation 802.11ac. No Wifi 6. Not even ac Wave 2. Not that I care, I would turn it off anyway, but 90% of their customers are going to use the provided wifi exclusively so I find it amazing they are still pushing this ancient thing. Oh and it does not have a user-accessible bridge mode. So yay. I might have to navigate a double NAT situation if their POS router serves an essential function and cannot be bypassed.

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't post much anywhere, but I read a lot and have been doing IT for about 35 years now and all the routers I use now and install for clients have been reflashed with OpenWrt. Personally I believe it is the best safe method of connecting to the internet. You can use it in it's vanilla clean form and it will work fine, or you can add packages like OpenVPN, ZeroTier, Wireguard or many other VPN's. You can also add hundreds of other packages, some of which will let you capture and view network traffic that is going onto the internet. It really is quite interesting to see just what a new camera is trying to get resolved via DNS and then also is trying to directly access via TCP and sometimes UDP. I have one (inherited) client site that has 9 chinese cameras that all stop working after they get blocked from their "phone homes" after 48 hours. I have tried other systems like DD-Wrt, pfSense, and Untangle and many others that were similar, or forks, and settled on OpenWRT as it can run on $50 wifi access points up to full blown PC's with multiple networks cards and recently a range of PoE switches. This is making OpenWrt very interesting as it exposes the PoE stats of the switch and allows much control / monitoring as well. That said I use mostly cameras from Dahua via Andy, but monitor and then block any traffic that is not wanted, which is not much from them, usually when I forget to turn off something.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't post much anywhere, but I read a lot and have been doing IT for about 35 years now and all the routers I use now and install for clients have been reflashed with OpenWrt. Personally I believe it is the best safe method of connecting to the internet. You can use it in it's vanilla clean form and it will work fine, or you can add packages like OpenVPN, ZeroTier, Wireguard or many other VPN's. You can also add hundreds of other packages, some of which will let you capture and view network traffic that is going onto the internet. It really is quite interesting to see just what a new camera is trying to get resolved via DNS and then also is trying to directly access via TCP and sometimes UDP. I have one (inherited) client site that has 9 chinese cameras that all stop working after they get blocked from their "phone homes" after 48 hours. I have tried other systems like DD-Wrt, pfSense, and Untangle and many others that were similar, or forks, and settled on OpenWRT as it can run on $50 wifi access points up to full blown PC's with multiple networks cards and recently a range of PoE switches. This is making OpenWrt very interesting as it exposes the PoE stats of the switch and allows much control / monitoring as well. That said I use mostly cameras from Dahua via Andy, but monitor and then block any traffic that is not wanted, which is not much from them, usually when I forget to turn off something.
I am a bit of a pfSense guy, love it's Firewall/Rules flexibility, I have read setting up dummy IPs for cameras that try to get out the Internet that try to phone home, don't know the details but sounded like a type of proxy to me. I will have to look into OpenWrt, I see it manages VLANs, on pfSense VLANs are very easy to manage...been playing with IPv6 lately, 2.5 had a few issues which they ironed out...2.5.1 :)