Dahua Motion Detect, teach me something

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can someone explain the definitions of these terms for the motion detect settings on Dahua cameras. I have mine setup and it's working well, but I am trying to tweak it and not knowing what the terms meaning makes it hard to dial it in perfectly.

Sensitivity 1 - 100 (100 sensitivity would mean the slightest change would trigger motion?)
Threshold 1 - 100 (I had found that this means how much motion before triggering, would a low number be better or higher?)
Anti-Dither (I can't even remember exactly what I found on this, something about moving around)

Also, How can I go about once motion has been detected, having it show motion on the search on playback on the NVR. It only shows Green for 24/7 recording. I get my emails when motion is detected on the 1 camera, but it doesn't mark YELLOW on the timeline on the NVR playback. I've changed some settings but still nothing. Is the only way to get yellow to show up on the timeline is to only have recording during motion events, and not 24/7?

I'm getting about 12 pictures per motion event, how can I modify that to less or more, etc.

I've tried to find some of these answers but failed, or the explanation doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi badmop. As for the items you have questions about, I learned what I did by just playing around. I am certainly no expert, but here is what I have determined.
Within a tab labeled "Motion Detect", there is a button next to "Area" called "Setup". When selected, a window pops up with your camera view, two sliders labeled "Sensitivity" and "Threshold", four colored "Region" selections, and a rectangular box with reticule lines. The rectangular box with reticule lines acts like an oscilloscope. So...the first "Region", i.e., the red box, is preselected. What I do is drag my mouse across the whole camera image to select the entire area. You will notice that the selected area is now filled with red crosshatching. I next raise the sensitivity until I see some activity on the "oscilloscope". The "activity" is small green spikes that appear at the bottom right of the "oscilloscope" and march to the left with time. The amplitude of the spikes correspond to the intensity of the detected motion. For example, the leaves moving on the trees will cause small spikes. You can change the magnitude of the spikes with the sensitivity slider. I next walk around in front of the camera and then observe the spikes that result. I then lower the "Threshold" slider so that only the "spikes" from my activity in front of the camera appear above the threshold bar. Anything that appears above the threshold for a time longer than the "Anti-Dither" setting will cause an event. Finally, I deselect the area of the camera image that I don't want motion detected. That is, I run my mouse over the areas I want deselected, and thereby remove the red crosshatching. You can repeat this whole process for the other three regions with their own unique areas, sensitivities, and thresholds. One important note: I make all these settings in the camera, not the NVR. However, some can be made from the NVR, and are written to the camera.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I also do my settings in the camera directly.
Oddly, I don't get any green spikes. Not sure what is up with that, I thought there were supposed to be spikes but none show up on mine. I will do more testing.
I wasn't aware of what exactly anti- dither did, I thought that had something to do with the amount of snapshots that are emailed.

How I set up my colored boxes to help prevent false alarms, is I do a checkerboard on the area I want. Say I have a driveway I want motion on, instead of coloring the whole road. I will do checkered - empty - checkered - empty. I guess kind of like a game of checkers board, where it's black, red, black, red black, red.
Black is not selected, and red is my motion box.

Currently I have no false alerts and I always am alerted when a car is actually out there. I'm trying to master the motion setup so I can know what exactly I am doing lol.
Thanks

Hi badmop. As for the items you have questions about, I learned what I did by just playing around. I am certainly no expert, but here is what I have determined.
Within a tab labeled "Motion Detect", there is a button next to "Area" called "Setup". When selected, a window pops up with your camera view, two sliders labeled "Sensitivity" and "Threshold", four colored "Region" selections, and a rectangular box with reticule lines. The rectangular box with reticule lines acts like an oscilloscope. So...the first "Region", i.e., the red box, is preselected. What I do is drag my mouse across the whole camera image to select the entire area. You will notice that the selected area is now filled with red crosshatching. I next raise the sensitivity until I see some activity on the "oscilloscope". The "activity" is small green spikes that appear at the bottom right of the "oscilloscope" and march to the left with time. The amplitude of the spikes correspond to the intensity of the detected motion. For example, the leaves moving on the trees will cause small spikes. You can change the magnitude of the spikes with the sensitivity slider. I next walk around in front of the camera and then observe the spikes that result. I then lower the "Threshold" slider so that only the "spikes" from my activity in front of the camera appear above the threshold bar. Anything that appears above the threshold for a time longer than the "Anti-Dither" setting will cause an event. Finally, I deselect the area of the camera image that I don't want motion detected. That is, I run my mouse over the areas I want deselected, and thereby remove the red crosshatching. You can repeat this whole process for the other three regions with their own unique areas, sensitivities, and thresholds. One important note: I make all these settings in the camera, not the NVR. However, some can be made from the NVR, and are written to the camera.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wasn't getting those green spikes until I selected the whole screen with crosshatched squares. Odd. Well, now since I've got the green spikes to show up, I will do some of my own testing to see if I can tweak my settings in perfectly.

What sensitivity do you or most usually run? I know there are many variables, just curious what others are set at.
I've been set at 55 and it's worked great for me, no false alerts so far.

Curious still how to get motion events to show up on the timeline on the DVR when I'm setup to record 24x7

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound pedantic or condescending because you probably know most of this. But I will bloviate anyway. As you know, the Dahua cameras offer four "Regions" within the Motion Detect -> Area -> Setup. They are colored "Red", "Yellow", "Blue", and "Green". You can select an area by clicking on the colored square. Once selected, you can apply a unique "area" that is detected, a unique "Sensitivity" for the selected area, and a unique "Threshold" for that area. You can overlap the areas. As for me, I have only programmed two areas. I selected the whole area with a low sensitivity and a higher threshold. Only a disturbance such as a person can create "spikes" large enough to produce an event. I defined another area close to the entrance of my home with more sensitivity and a lower threshold. So, mice better be aware! Regarding the "green spikes", that is my description as to what appears on the rectangular grid below the Sensitivity and Threshold sliders. They are small vertical green lines that appear on the right bottom side of the grid, and march to the left with time. To best see them, and to adjust your Sensitivity and Threshold settings, I first select the whole area, i.e., the whole area is filled with hash lines with the same color as the "Region" square. For my camera, moving leaves in the trees of my back yard cause small green spikes. Of course, I don't want an event issued because of moving leaves. I think they are hardly criminal. So...I walk around my back yard...from far away to closer, and then observe the vertical lines. If my meanderings in front of the camera are too low, I increase the sensitivity and retest. Once I am satisfied, I lower the "Threshold". This is depicted on the rectangular grid as a horizontal line. The lower the Threshold setting, the lower the horizontal line. Any "spikes" above the threshold line are considered "event producing". That is my own term. I say "event producing" because the disturbance has to persist for time delay longer that that set by the "anti-dithering" setting.

So, you can, as I said, set up to four separate Regions with their own unique Areas, Sensitivities, and Thresholds. With this much flexibility, I have had very good results with my Dahua cameras, and very few false events.

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious badmop. If you are set up to record 24/7, why do you need to set up an event? Is it to get email alerts? I don't have mine set up that way, so I can't answer. But concerning email alerts, I what I don't don't like is that you get three emails for every detected event. The first one informs you that an event has been detected. The second email has the event with a snapshot. The third email states that the event is over. I mean geeze Louise! And besides that, i believe that an email is sent even if the anti-dithering time delay is not met. In other words, even if the event is not recorded by the NVR because it doesn't persists long enough to meet the anti dithering-delay, the detected motion generates two emails, I.e., when the motion starts and when it stops. Since I was inundated by so many emails, I finally turned that function off.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One workaround for email is to setup a filter to auto delete based on subject and if it doesn't contain an attachment. I did this with my email so I only get the email alert with attachment.

On the cameras you can create custom from and subject using this to create the filter criteria. 3 emails get sent, 2 emails getting auto deleted and the only email to him my inbox is the one with the attachment.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have done the filters to eliminate the emails without attachments, so it's very helpful. All the emails is quite annoying if you don't do that.

I would like the events on the NVR to know where motion has happened on the timeline so I don't have to check the emails to see what has happened. I have a neighbor who is very nosey, abusive, etc. So I have motion in certain areas so if it trips I can see what tripped it and then watch what happened.

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you saying that you can create custom forms on the camera to filter the nuisance emails? I have Dahua cameras, and I don't see any settings with that functionality. Or, are you filtering the emails within your email program? Incidentally, when I connected my cameras to the Dahua NVR, I turned that function off in the individual cameras, and had the NVR send me emails.

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry badmop, but you asked me what sensitivity and threshold settings I use. I now have three Dahua cameras set up (I am incrementally replacing the Logitech cameras I've had for years). Each of them have different settings. For instance, in my back yard, I have an 89% sensitivity and 20% threshold for the first region (red), and a 88% sensitivity and a 16% threshold for the second region (yellow). The first region covers the whole view, and the second region only covers an area near the door of my work shop. Each camera is set up differently. On one of the cameras, I have only one region enabled whose area is just one row of squares, forming a "trip wire" with the anti-dither set to 0. The whole thing is an art form and takes some fine tuning.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The email filters are setup directly in GMAIL where I have my motion emails sent. Which emailing is setup directly in my cameras, I may change that to the NVR. It may solve my other problem which I just made a post about.

I'm doing good with sensitivity at 55 and threshold at 5, antidither at 3 on my driveway camera.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not getting any pictures in my email from motion alerts setup through the NVR. Odd, I'm getting "start" and "stop" emails from the motion alerts, but no emails with attachments with images. Not sure what is up with that.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not getting any pictures in my email from motion alerts setup through the NVR. Odd, I'm getting "start" and "stop" emails from the motion alerts, but no emails with attachments with images. Not sure what is up with that.
The reason for that, even though on the NVR side it had emails and snapshots checked, on the camera side, it didn't have send email checked. (an example of how I said settings don't always sync between the NVR and cameras all the time)

hal9000

n3wb
Reaction score
Did anyone try the IVS detection with the 4MP Dahua cameras? It doesn't seem to work here with the turret. Video Detect works fine but the IVS Tripwire and Intrusion don't produce any Event in Information/Log. Moving objects are detected (green rectangle) and the lines flash in red but it doesn't produce any event in the log, it doesn't record anything... The software version is 2.400.0000.6.R, build : 2015-04-09
Does it work for anyone or with the newer 10.R firmware?

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did anyone try the IVS detection with the 4MP Dahua cameras? It doesn't seem to work here with the turret. Video Detect works fine but the IVS Tripwire and Intrusion don't produce any Event in Information/Log. Moving objects are detected (green rectangle) and the lines flash in red but it doesn't produce any event in the log, it doesn't record anything... The software version is 2.400.0000.6.R, build : 2015-04-09
Does it work for anyone or with the newer 10.R firmware?
I use IVS exclusively now, but I don't use an NVR. I have my HFW4300S's to upload to my FTP server. They're all on the 10.R firmware.

Attachments

hal9000

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, it's good to know that it works on the latest firmware!

dmroo

n3wb
Reaction score
I wasn't getting those green spikes until I selected the whole screen with crosshatched squares. Odd. Well, now since I've got the green spikes to show up, I will do some of my own testing to see if I can tweak my settings in perfectly.

What sensitivity do you or most usually run? I know there are many variables, just curious what others are set at.
I've been set at 55 and it's worked great for me, no false alerts so far.

Curious still how to get motion events to show up on the timeline on the DVR when I'm setup to record 24x7
Hi Guys,
I am really new here but would love to contribute as well as learn. I have a Dahua setup, and the Motion detect is a pain to setup for me, I noticed you mentioned the spikes, thinking this is a perfect way to set the sensitivity, But on my system I cannot see anything with any sort of spike graph at all. Maybe a different system or software? I thought I had the latest maybe not, I cant even find if i have the correct firmware or not these days. Well I can see my firmware number but not on the dahua site
Hoping maybe someone can stear me in the rght direction. Would be appreciated.
Thanks to all of you for the help.

DMRoo

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am really new here but would love to contribute as well as learn. I have a Dahua setup, and the Motion detect is a pain to setup for me, I noticed you mentioned the spikes, thinking this is a perfect way to set the sensitivity, But on my system I cannot see anything with any sort of spike graph at all. Maybe a different system or software? I thought I had the latest maybe not, I cant even find if i have the correct firmware or not these days. Well I can see my firmware number but not on the dahua site
Hoping maybe someone can stear me in the rght direction. Would be appreciated.
Thanks to all of you for the help.

DMRoo
to see the graph you have to log n thru a web browser to each indivdual camera.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also found out after awhile, the spikes don't show up as easy or at all if you don't have much of the image selected with motion detection boxes. If you select the WHOLE image with all the motion detection boxes, you should be able to see the spikes show up, depending how much motion is going on in your camera screen, the spikes will be very small or tall (trees blowing in the wind, etc)

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also found out after awhile, the spikes don't show up as easy or at all if you don't have much of the image selected with motion detection boxes. If you select the WHOLE image with all the motion detection boxes, you should be able to see the spikes show up, depending how much motion is going on in your camera screen, the spikes will be very small or tall (trees blowing in the wind, etc)
The more squares that detect motion the bigger the spikes akso the more movemet with in a square. Think of it as the system isactually monitoring changes in data rates.