Dahua NVR 2108 with Foscam IP cameras (ONVIF). Motion detection not working

mhoubs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have been trying to get motion detection recording to work for a while now by following all the advice I could find online.. properly configured the cameras and the nvr via the web interface and Smart PSS as well. No success. (24/7 recording and live view are working fine). Anybody who had more luck?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Not all ONVIF implementations support motion events.
You can check if these cameras do by using ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net

Give ODM some logon credentials.
Check for motion events in the Events page, and the Rules page.

kranty

n3wb
Reaction score
What firmware? On 4*** series new firmware (4.0) breaks motion detection

mhoubs

n3wb
Reaction score
Not all ONVIF implementations support motion events.
You can check if these cameras do by using ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net

Give ODM some logon credentials.
Check for motion events in the Events page, and the Rules page.
Thanks. It looks like Motion detection is not enabled ;(

mhoubs

n3wb
Reaction score
So no 'Rules' showing for motion detection or other analytics in ODM?
And no events showing up in the Events page?
as for the camera, this is the message I get under events: The HTTP request is unauthorized with client authentication scheme 'Anonymous'. The authentication header received from the server was 'Basic realm="gSOAP Web Service"'. There is no rules page.

as for the NVR, ODM seems to be unable to connect properly anymore (did work yesterday)... Capture.PNGCapture.PNGCapture1.PNG

mhoubs

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm speculating that you have not given ODM any valid logon credentials to use to access the camera.
Top left of the window,
I am logged into ODM (top left corner) with the same credentials I use for both the cameras and the NVR.

mhoubs

n3wb
Reaction score
What firmware? On 4*** series new firmware (4.0) breaks motion detection
I would not mind downgrading to 3.216 if that did the trick, but it it failed on me when I tried via the web interface using the file DH_NVR2XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V3.216.0000000.0.R.180705.bin

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so for the camera, does it show motion event notifications on the Events page?

It's not necessary that the NVR shows as an ONVIF 'NVT' for it to support ONVIF cameras.

mhoubs

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so for the camera, does it show motion event notifications on the Events page?

It's not necessary that the NVR shows as an ONVIF 'NVT' for it to support ONVIF cameras.
ok. I understand. However, ODM does not show any other infor for the NVR anymore either ... eg the Indentification page looks as follows: Capture3.PNG

kranty

n3wb
Reaction score
I would not mind downgrading to 3.216 if that did the trick, but it it failed on me when I tried via the web interface using the file DH_NVR2XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V3.216.0000000.0.R.180705.bin
Try using smartPSS or directly on NVR.
I have 4104 and had no issues with downgrade

mhoubs

n3wb
Reaction score
triedd both ways with zip and bin file... no success.
no idea what else to try.

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I have been trying to get motion detection recording to work for a while now by following all the advice I could find online.. properly configured the cameras and the nvr via the web interface and Smart PSS as well. No success. (24/7 recording and live view are working fine). Anybody who had more luck?
Do you have the instruction to add Foscam cams to Dahua NVR?

I'm trying to add a few Foscam, some older outdoor cams and some newer indoor like R2C, to a Dahua NVR without success (It's Montavue brand, it should be quite new with 4K and IVS, link)
The NVR can detect the cams by ONVIF but there is no video can be seen.
I have to add them manually using RTSP to see the video but that loses other features like PTZ.
While using ODM, I can see video and I can do PTZ control so definitely the cams work with ONVIF PTZ

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
While using ODM, I can see video and I can do PTZ control so definitely the cams work with ONVIF PTZ
I have a recollection that Foscam cameras ONVIF port can be other than 80.
In ODM, check the URL at the bottom of the Identification page to see what the ONVIF port is.

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a recollection that Foscam cameras ONVIF port can be other than 80.
In ODM, check the URL at the bottom of the Identification page to see what the ONVIF port is.
Thanks, I did play with the port numbers in the NVR setup before but didn't work, now I set the NVR's camera's HTTP port (didn't know it means OVNIF port) to Foscam's ONVIF port 888 then it's working.

Same as OP said, I've set using motion detection recording in both camera and also NVR, the NVR is still recording 24/7.