Dahua NVR admin password reset?

Hoog23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I can log in with 888888 but unfortunately cannot access it remotely with that account.

I tried the 8888 times the day times the month and times the year last 2 digits then the result.. last 6 digits is your password - didn't work.

I see in the manual there is a mention of telnet to reset it.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Hoog23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes but I can't log in over the lan with it. Is that limited to the admin account only?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you might have locked it out; I suggest you create separate accounts for different uses so you dont get locked out.. if you use the admin account w/apps you'll find your self locked out like this.

I only use admin account to create me a nayr user; then use the nayr account primairly and fall back to admin if I have an issue.. my dedicated displays get there own logins and so do any other viewing apps.

if you lock your self out or forget a password; its a bitch.. and its supposed to be.

Hoog23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought this off flea bay. The guy gave me a couple passwords to try just now but no dice. I guess I'll try telnet. Thanks for the quick reply!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you login with 888888 through the WebUI/OSD you should be able to set a new password for admin; but if you've tried it alot and failed you may need to reboot/wait for it to unlock to be usable again..

You could also try doing a factory reset when logged in w/888888

Hoog23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying telnet now but I am getting a host connection error on port 23. I'm within my lan... Does that make sense?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
did you run the HTTP API Request and receive an OK response? I would try that last after exhausting the other suggestions I gave yeh.. supposedly it'll reset the accounts to default but I've not tried it.

Hoog23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I'm good now. I logged in using 888888 and did a factory reset. Which did reset the admin account too.

Now I have to add all those damn cams again..

Thanks for your help!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
probably best to do that anyhow since this was a 2nd hand NVR; the PO's config could have really screwed with you trying to figure it out.. (ie, custom schedules on unique channels)

Last edited:

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you might have locked it out; I suggest you create separate accounts for different uses so you dont get locked out.. if you use the admin account w/apps you'll find your self locked out like this.
I only use admin account to create me a nayr user; then use the nayr account primairly and fall back to admin if I have an issue.. my dedicated displays get there own logins and so do any other viewing apps.
if you lock your self out or forget a password; its a bitch.. and its supposed to be.
Nayr, do you mind saying just how you configure this user account? I presume you click on add user, and then what? Add to user group or admin group? I would appreciate any guidance you have including exact settings for this account. I've been using an Amcrest NVR just using the admin account, but have a Dahua NVR5216-4KS on the way.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my user account is an admin, if its an app thats just viewing streams or recordings then its a normal user.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, so you set up a nayr admin account with all privileges for your computer, and a user account with limited viewing privleges for your phone app? And still have the main admin account to fall back on?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just add them through the WebUI.. Setup -> System -> Account -> Add User, fill in information and save.