Dahua NVR and cameras - router as extender

Noodle

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Have just finished finally installing my recently bought dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 8.

1 - Is there a particular thread post for setting up and tweaking the nvr, event zones etc? Ive got it working and logged on via webapp and software.

2- A bit more tricky, I have put one camera on another building. I have a cat 6 that runs from my house router to a network switch, then from that switch to the 2nd router. The camera plugs into another poe switch that plugs into the 2nd router....

At present I haven't configured that router at all, it does provide internet but on its own wifi name/access. So i haven't yet set it up as an extender for my home/ main network, i assuem tis just working as its own isolated network?

I assume I need to do this, so that the 2nd router has the same ip/ subnet etc as my home/ main network? If I do this will I be able to see the camera on the interfaces? Has anyone done this,. can help with what settings I need to replicate?

Many thanks

Phil.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2- A bit more tricky, I have put one camera on another building. I have a cat 6 that runs from my house router to a network switch, then from that switch to the 2nd router. The camera plugs into another poe switch that plugs into the 2nd router....
Hi Phil @Noodle

When building your network - try to design it so that the main router ( where your ISP connection is coming in ) has no security cameras video feed going through it. The idea is to keep the load on your main router lower and that should keep your entire system more reliable.

Noodle

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks matt, yes it is in it's own. I have a switch that the nvr goes to that goes to the main router and also off to the barns. So that doesnt us the routers own ports.

My main query I guess is that I should re co figure the 2nd router as a pure extender and then the nvr/ software will see the cam again...?
At the moment it says "cannot find network host".