DAHUA NVR for IPC-T5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been reading these forms for nearly 2 years and finally installed cat 6 in my attic for 7 camera's in 90 degree weather not fun. After reading about all the cameras available I think these might be the ones. I will wait a week or 2 for the reviews.

I'm looking to purchase a Dahua NVR for (7) IPC-T5442T-ZE I will likely bump that number to 8 in the near future. I have read that it should be 16 camera ready for future proofing.
I'm also looking for a EPOE Switch for the cameras. I have read that an external managed EPOE Switch is preferred ?

I have an ASUS Router and have setup a VPN. I have read IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and VPN Primer for Noobs. Some of the members here have dedicated a lot of time creating these documents and I appreciate all the effort :clap:.

I know a lot of members are going to recommend BI. I'm just not interested in BI at the moment. I have read that some of the Dahua features are not available on BI.

I plan to purchase from Andy.

I'm looking forward to your recommendations.
Thanks in advance for the help

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Recommend the 5000 series. Sounds like you want the one without built-in PoE

(sorry had wrong link)

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recommend the 5000 series. Sounds like you want the one without built-in PoE

(sorry had wrong link)

Thanks bigredfish. Is there any advantage or disadvantage of buying a NVR with POE and not using the POE?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ford vs Chevy , Blonde vs Brunette I think..

I like built-in PoE because it makes things simple.
Others will advise to get non built-in PoE as it allows greater flexibility with not having to homerun all cables and use a switch wherever. Non PoE also allows you to connect to each camera without going through the link on the NVR.
A small security advantage to the built-in PoE type in that they put your cameras (mini computers) on a separate subnet (10.1.1.x) making it that much harder for the average hacker in Romania to access your cameras directly.

I actually recently helped a buddy with a 5432 16P NVR and he had filled his 16 PoE ports. So we added an external switch in a different part of the house, backfed that to the NVR and his router for 6 new cameras. So really you can do that with a PoE NVR also...

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ford vs Chevy , Blonde vs Brunette I think..

I like built-in PoE because it makes things simple.
Others will advise to get non built-in PoE as it allows greater flexibility with not having to homerun all cables and use a switch wherever. Non PoE also allows you to connect to each camera without going through the link on the NVR.
A small security advantage to the built-in PoE type in that they put your cameras (mini computers) on a separate subnet (10.1.1.x) making it that much harder for the average hacker in Romania to access your cameras directly.

I actually recently helped a buddy with a 5432 16P NVR and he had filled his 16 PoE ports. So we added an external switch in a different part of the house, backfed that to the NVR and his router for 6 new cameras. So really you can do that with a PoE NVR also...
thanks bigredfish "hacker in Romania to access your cameras directly" :) Nice!

thanks looney2ns "less noise from the fans using a non-POE version" Where the NVR is located fan noise should not be a problem. All cat6 is homerun to NVR location.

I have researched Dahua website to review the NVR's and it's a little confusing.

looney2ns/ bigredfish I think the question I should ask would be what Dahua NVR would be the properly matched AI NVR for the additional functions and data for the AI camera (7) IPC-T5442T-ZE possibly 8 cameras?

Thank you both for your help.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks bigredfish "hacker in Romania to access your cameras directly" :) Nice!

thanks looney2ns "less noise from the fans using a non-POE version" Where the NVR is located fan noise should not be a problem. All cat6 is homerun to NVR location.

I have researched Dahua website to review the NVR's and it's a little confusing.

looney2ns/ bigredfish I think the question I should ask would be what Dahua NVR would be the properly matched AI NVR for the additional functions and data for the AI camera (7) IPC-T5442T-ZE possibly 8 cameras?

Thank you both for your help.
Use @bigredfish s link, and read the spec sheets for each to glean the differences,