Dahua NVR: Ideal Set-Up Question?

ViperHU

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My current set-up is: EdgeRouter X -> TL-SG1016PE <- NVR4208-8P-4KS2 <- 5 PoE cams.
  1. Is there any benefit to running the cams right into the TP-Link Switch? 5/8 PoE ports are available
  2. Today, NVR is assigning IPs to the cams (looks like a unique range) and they aren't static (from what I can tell)
  3. I just set this up today and want to ensure that only I can view my cameras, especially externally. Is there a reasonably easy-to-follow How-To on setting this up? EdgeRouter does have options for L2TP and OpenVPN...I also have a no-ip hostname available . VLAN possible too.
Thanks!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The NVR4208 will probably be assigning camera's from the address scheme in the 10.x.x.x range. but it's WAN port will probably be into your edge router, with a 192.168.x.x scheme or whatever your routing/modem things are using.
I believe you can select a Static IP for the Cams inside the NVR. But I don't have one, So hopefully an experienced user will chime in. I have 3 DVR's and 2 Blue Iris NVR's.
But this is what i've learned about that. I know on the Dahua & Amcrest Ip cams i can surf to 192.168.1.108 with a new cam and set it up with a Static IP. The NVR may not like you after that. Guys here will take the whole NVR stream and add it to Blue Iris. using +Add New Cam, /find inspect / IP address/ admin/ password/ Camera 1, then repeat that until they get to Camera 8 or 16 or whatever they have. So you could have 192.168.1.207 used 8 or 16 times in Add new Camera, but the differentiation is the Camera #.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As mentioned the NVR will assign cameras plugged into the poe ports as 10.1..1.x
You can only access these by logging into the NVR and clicking on the IE button for each camera but not directly.

I’m assuming your internal LAN is 192.168.1.x

Yes you can also plug some cameras into the external switch and access them directly via your network. Again as mentioned, all Dahua cams and NVR will default to 192.168.1.108 so I would:
A) change NVR to static IP other than .108
then
B) plug one at a time into the switch and change each camera to a different static IP such as .109, .110, etc

You can have a combination of both using the NVR PoE ports as well as the external switch

see this PSA post for more

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I swear if this Elitedesk doesn't run stable on a clean install with near zero programs other than Net time and Amcrest IP config, I'll be doing the redundant NVR as well. I got painting to do , concrete patching, carpet shampooing, Goose shit patrol, and Boiler baby sitter, and Spa testing.....My friend calls it Hide and Seek for a thousand a Week, but there Ain't much hiding.