Dahua NVR Issues

Mike22

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a new member to this forum but i do have alot of experience with networks so hopefully i will make sense :)

I have set up a security system for my parents.
The system architecture is attached.
It is a basic system.
1 camera PoE going back to a Dahua NVR via switches.

All is working perfect locally but I am unable to access them via gDMSS Plus Android app and SmartPSS V2.002 on the PC.
I was able to view cameras remotely for 2 days no problem..... all of a sudden I cant view them remotely.
All I get is a message 'Search Stream Timeout'

The NVR is 'online' and I have logged in remotely to a PC on the network and I am able to ping the camera in questions.

As I said this is a basic setup and it was working for 2 days and all of a sudden I am unable to view remotely.
The main purpose of this system is to view the premises when I am away. It is pointless if remote access does not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh and Welcome to the Fourm!

I also have 2 clients who are having similar issues with the same 8ch NVR4108HS's and 4TB HDD's installed, both have 4 dahua cameras ( 3 x IPC-T2431T-AS and 1 x IPC-T5241H-AS-PV) It was happening a month or so ago. One client says as soon as his harddrive gets 2-3 days or around (300GB) recording on it, he cant access playback remotely anymore via "P2P" and NVR gets laggy and "live view" only works if he switches to "account" vs " local" on the phone app. I have switched out his NVR with another new one and same thing happening. I am bench testing this used one with 4 new cameras at home here. so far Its been 1.5 days (190GB) and no issues, yet!

I am seriously considering throwing these NVR's to the curb and start installing used SFF PC's with i5 3750's or 4750's with BI for almost the same price. Have this at home for my personal system and it runs flawlessly (cpu 27%) with just a basic setup for 5 cams recording on motion only.

Last edited:

Mike22

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a hikvision system for my house and I have zero issues with it. Was Dahua just a terrible purchase?? It doesn't seem to be able to carry out basic functionality

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive never had issues with Dahua, until now. But this could be installer error on my part also.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are the model numbers of the dahua NVR and the Dahua cameras. Did you purchase hacked equipment Form china ?
I am not a Dahua NVR expert , but i believe that you need to enable remote viewing in the NVR.
Please describe in detail how you are trying to access the NVR and camera ?

Also for security ....
Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a hikvision system for my house and I have zero issues with it. Was Dahua just a terrible purchase?? It doesn't seem to be able to carry out basic functionality
When I set up my system a few years ago I had the opposite experience and lost a bunch of $ switching over to Dahua. To be fair big-picture wise, I think it has a lot to do with what specific models you have and the state of the firmware. After lurking on the forum for a few years, my conclusion is that both companies put the equipment out on the market before it's ready, and if you get caught on the front end of something new, it's going to be buggy. And when you load new firmware, you're risking something that you're using all of a sudden not working any more.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Be sure you are using a WD purple hard drive, and not just any old drive.
I have my suspicions that this is what it is. I usually do by WD purple but I recently bought 4 x Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 256MB Cache 3.5" Internal Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s (ST4000DM004) on sale and have installed them already. :paranoid:

and yes this seems to be happening right when the v4.0 firmware is out.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You're using P2P for off-site access? If so, is your internet provider perhaps restricting the connection?

Using a VPN connection is a far better solution.

Cheers, Steve

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a new member to this forum but i do have alot of experience with networks so hopefully i will make sense :)

I have set up a security system for my parents.
The system architecture is attached.
It is a basic system.
1 camera PoE going back to a Dahua NVR via switches.

All is working perfect locally but I am unable to access them via gDMSS Plus Android app and SmartPSS V2.002 on the PC.
I was able to view cameras remotely for 2 days no problem..... all of a sudden I cant view them remotely.
All I get is a message 'Search Stream Timeout'

The NVR is 'online' and I have logged in remotely to a PC on the network and I am able to ping the camera in questions.

As I said this is a basic setup and it was working for 2 days and all of a sudden I am unable to view remotely.
The main purpose of this system is to view the premises when I am away. It is pointless if remote access does not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
If you are using either Smartpss or gDMSS, you may want to check the other channels like 4 through 8, you might in fact find them there, Sometimes this will happen for some reason. Seems if your local client cannot establish a connection to the NVR and times out, Certain versions of smartPss will add them again but assign them different channels, I have had that happen a few times. Good luck.

Mike22

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are using either Smartpss or gDMSS, you may want to check the other channels like 4 through 8, you might in fact find them there, Sometimes this will happen for some reason. Seems if your local client cannot establish a connection to the NVR and times out, Certain versions of smartPss will add them again but assign them different channels, I have had that happen a few times. Good luck.
Thanks for that Chris527. Even tho my 2 cameras are assigned to Channel 1 & Channel 2 in the NVR they are randomly assigned to different channels when I view them remotely which is very annoying.
Thanks again, guys. Great forum

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for that Chris527. Even tho my 2 cameras are assigned to Channel 1 & Channel 2 in the NVR they are randomly assigned to different channels when I view them remotely which is very annoying.
Thanks again, guys. Great forum
Yup pretty typical and annoying, at least you know where to look to find them now.