Dahua NVR question? recommendation?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I plan to eventually go with 16 HD IP Cameras, Currently I have 8 Analog cameras.

I want a 16 channel NVR, preferably one with 16 POE ports built in, unless there is a downside to that....

I found a 16 channel Dahua NVR with 16 POE ports built-in for $300 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHJ56WO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1I7ZCDJWFSCHD

There is a 16 channel capable NVR, with an 8 port switch for $244 on ali BUT, it only records at 1080p (I currently have a 4MP Camera, with plans to add more, with 3MP the least I'd add.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Dahua-NVR-DH-NVR4208-DH-NVR4216-POE-switch-Plug-Play-8CH-Up-to-2MP-Onvif-Network/638300_32374937737.html

Any recommendation for what I'm looking for in a 16 channel Dahua NVR?
I considered Blue Iris, but I don't want a PC running 24/7, worried about it failing, etc. (NEVER had a DVR fail,... yet)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I plan to eventually go with 16 HD IP Cameras, Currently I have 8 Analog cameras.

I want a 16 channel NVR, preferably one with 16 POE ports built in, unless there is a downside to that....

I found a 16 channel Dahua NVR with 16 POE ports built-in for $300 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHJ56WO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1I7ZCDJWFSCHD

There is a 16 channel capable NVR, with an 8 port switch for $244 on ali BUT, it only records at 1080p (I currently have a 4MP Camera, with plans to add more, with 3MP the least I'd add.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Dahua-NVR-DH-NVR4208-DH-NVR4216-POE-switch-Plug-Play-8CH-Up-to-2MP-Onvif-Network/638300_32374937737.html

Any recommendation for what I'm looking for in a 16 channel Dahua NVR?
I considered Blue Iris, but I don't want a PC running 24/7, worried about it failing, etc. (NEVER had a DVR fail,... yet)

Failure should not be a consideration when it comes to pc vs NVR...both will last a many many years on average...Get a good business class pc...if a pc part fails you can replace it and be up and running in no time...most business class machines have 3 year next business day warranties..
there are other considerations between the two as discussed in several threads..
Also keep in mind that none of your dvr's had built in poe switches...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not necessarily failing in the long term, but failing and turning off when I'm not around or at home. I have quite a few issues that happen every other day, sometimes daily and I can't afford the chance that my system isn't recording. (POS neighbor)

Evidently the Amazon page has changed, as the other day it said 16 POE ports built in. Odd, didn't realize that until now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not necessarily failing in the long term, but failing and turning off when I'm not around or at home. I have quite a few issues that happen every other day, sometimes daily and I can't afford the chance that my system isn't recording. (POS neighbor)

Evidently the Amazon page has changed, as the other day it said 16 POE ports built in. Odd, didn't realize that until now.
I have 20 blue iris machines running and I cannot recall the last time I had blue iris or the system crash....and when it did, it started right back up using blue iris tools...
If you are having pc issues every other day something is really wrong.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, I'm having neighbor issues every other day, lol ;)
I didn't make it clear, lol. If I had computer issues that often, I'd be in trouble lol.

Do most people record at 1080p, I figured most would record at the highest possible resolution.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I'm having neighbor issues every other day, lol ;)
I didn't make it clear, lol. If I had computer issues that often, I'd be in trouble lol.

Do most people record at 1080p, I figured most would record at the highest possible resolution.
With the 3mp hikvisions, many, including myself record at 1080 because you get more horizontal fov...there is VERY little pixel per inch gained when going form 1080p to 3mp...But if you have a 4mp camera you may as well record 4mp unless your system cannot handle it, just understand that 4mp is not double the clarity of 1080p..

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, correct. If you read many of my posts, you'll soon realize I over think everything, and it hits me every time after I get a response or 2 on my posts.

More, and more, and more reading and thinking less, I have realized that there are limits with what difference recording at the max resolution is going to do for most cases. There becomes a limit on the fps and resolution with a large camera setup it seems, for real time and recording. Also, now after playing with my first HD IP Camera, I see how great even 2mp looks, anything alone destroys my "1200 tvl" analog cameras, which I knew it would. You realize even much more when you can see a side by side in real life. My analog cameras have done me well over the many years, so if my limit is recording at 1080p, that should do me just as well for the years, comparing analogs best, doesn't come close to High Definition's worst.

I'm trying to track down the best dahua nvr, for the cheapest/best price. I so much prefer a standalone NVR over a PC based setup, too many variables for me, and I have enough computers running as it is in the house. :)

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still trying to track down the best priced 16ch Dahua NVR, It seems when sellers list an NVR, the images or model numbers aren't matching what they are really selling, it's so confusing.