Dahua NVR Reboots during the day

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that on mine, the "continuous recording" wasn't continuous. When an IVS/MD event happened, it would close the continuous recording, put the event video in a separate recording, and then open a new continuous recording.

Hopefully someone else can verify that. I've since removed the HDD from my NVR and just have it up and running for family to connect to with the free smartphone apps to view live video.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I loaded the new firmware last week and tonight am planning on checking the reboot issue tonight. I Wil also investigate this issue as well.

One thing i noticed right off the bat (that i don't recall anyone else bringing) was that on the new firmware i can create IVS rules straight on the nvr which os awesome. But... I didn't see a setting to set minimum size on the nvr (to rule out birds and such)

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that on mine, the "continuous recording" wasn't continuous. When an IVS/MD event happened, it would close the continuous recording, put the event video in a separate recording, and then open a new continuous recording.

Hopefully someone else can verify that. I've since removed the HDD from my NVR and just have it up and running for family to connect to with the free smartphone apps to view live video.
You are correct. In my files I do see where it actually stops the recording, starts a 12 second (or whatever) file for the IVS event, and then finishes out the rest of the 30 minutes in the next file.

But...I've been watching some of my IVS event files tonight and I'm not so sure I see any dropped frames..... I will say though that I've switched up some of my IVS lines recently so I'm not sure when the person in my video actually crosses the line....but watching the videos I don't see anything out of the ordinary....

Also, my NVR has not rebooted since I upgraded the firmware. No reboots, IVS features straight from the NVR now and as far as I can tell no dropped frames. I'm thrilled. Thanks for everyone's hard work in getting this figured out!

PS - Did we ever find out what the 0X06f error was related to?

bubsnw

n3wb
Reaction score
Exactly the same issue here. NVR5216-4KS2 and 4 cams purchased from Andy back in March. NVR just got setup on Saturday with a new WD Purple 4 TB drive. Already had one 5231R-Z camera that I had updated the f/w on, so that is all that is connected. I first saw a lockup on Saturday afternoon a couple of hours after I created a single IVS 'zig zag' tripwire to watch the street as an experiment - camera is two stories up.....
Update - Definitely an interaction with the 5231R-Z camera causing the NVR reboots. I configured and hooked up 5231R-Z camera #2 that I purchased with the DVR two months or so after the first camera. I set it up without updating the firmware and connected to cam 1 Ethernet cable. It is version 2.460.0000.3.R, 2017-01-05 f/w. I left Cam #1 connected on another port, but no tripwire on it. Cam #2 was setup like cam #1 as far as I can tell and a 'zigzag' tripwire enabled. After 24 hrs test there were NO REBOOTS (except 'normal' scheduled reboot @ 2:00am with flag 0x00). Many tripwire events last night and today, but still no NVR error reboots with both cams running. NVR direct VGA and SmartPSS both show both cams operational and tripwire active only on cam #2.

Does anyone know if there is a hardware version I can pull out of the camera UI anywhere? I want to see if the two cameras have the same boards in them before I go further (without digging around inside if possible).

The NVR shouldn't crash ... period. But it does appear the camera #1 tripwire (with latest f/w update 2.460.0000.7.R, 2017-03-06) can obviously crash it on tripwire events while cam #2 does not. So it's either camera hardware\firmware or I missed something in making the configurations the same.

@EMPIRECANDY - Message me know if you want to give camera s\n or other info to Dahua to help with the fix.

Next step is to restart cam 1 tripwire to see if reboots return. Will also pull up both camera UIs side by side to verify same config on both to rule that out.

Pic of the test zigzag tripwire on cam #2 below - Just noticed time is off, it should be 5:08pm. Yet another thing I have been wrestling with.StreetTripwire1.JPG

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep us updated on this.

I have not setup any IVS triggers on my system because everyone here has had issues with them.

I really want to get this feature going though.

I'm using 5216-4ks2
Several 5231 cams
4231 turret

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update - Definitely an interaction with the 5231R-Z camera causing the NVR reboots. I configured and hooked up 5231R-Z camera #2 that I purchased with the DVR two months or so after the first camera. I set it up without updating the firmware and connected to cam 1 Ethernet cable. It is version 2.460.0000.3.R, 2017-01-05 f/w. I left Cam #1 connected on another port, but no tripwire on it. Cam #2 was setup like cam #1 as far as I can tell and a 'zigzag' tripwire enabled. After 24 hrs test there were NO REBOOTS (except 'normal' scheduled reboot @ 2:00am with flag 0x00). Many tripwire events last night and today, but still no NVR error reboots with both cams running. NVR direct VGA and SmartPSS both show both cams operational and tripwire active only on cam #2.

Does anyone know if there is a hardware version I can pull out of the camera UI anywhere? I want to see if the two cameras have the same boards in them before I go further (without digging around inside if possible).

The NVR shouldn't crash ... period. But it does appear the camera #1 tripwire (with latest f/w update 2.460.0000.7.R, 2017-03-06) can obviously crash it on tripwire events while cam #2 does not. So it's either camera hardware\firmware or I missed something in making the configurations the same.

@EMPIRECANDY - Message me know if you want to give camera s\n or other info to Dahua to help with the fix.

Next step is to restart cam 1 tripwire to see if reboots return. Will also pull up both camera UIs side by side to verify same config on both to rule that out.

Pic of the test zigzag tripwire on cam #2 below - Just noticed time is off, it should be 5:08pm. Yet another thing I have been wrestling with.View attachment 19042
Quick question. Have you updated to the firmware Andy provided? If not, you are wasting alot of time playing around with things, trying to figure out what's going on with the reboots. I had all the same issues as you. Once I updated the NVR, ALL the reboots went away. Could not be happier, as it is now a reliable NVR. I also did not notice any of the Chinese menu/text issues others reported after updating. That problem on my NVR, just does not exist.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quick question. Have you updated to the firmware Andy provided? If not, you are wasting alot of time playing around with things, trying to figure out what's going on with the reboots. I had all the same issues as you. Once I updated the NVR, ALL the reboots went away. Could not be happier, as it is now a reliable NVR. I also did not notice any of the Chinese menu/text issues others reported after updating. That problem on my NVR, just does not exist.

Do you have any IVS issues then as well?

Reaction score
Do you have any IVS issues then as well?
As far as dropped frames when IVS is triggered, the 1 frame issue still exists. But I can get around this by looking at the 24/7 video on the camera(s) SD card. But honestly, I really haven't noticed it making much difference in the NVR recording. IVS trigger reboots have completely gone away. I had a ton of reboots every day, when IVS would trigger.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I also did not notice any of the Chinese menu/text issues others reported after updating. That problem on my NVR, just does not exist.
Reapplying the firmware fixed that issue on my NVR. It was only in IE.

bubsnw

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick question. Have you updated to the firmware Andy provided? If not, you are wasting alot of time playing around with things, trying to figure out what's going on with the reboots.
@weigle2 - thanks for verifying the new update works. Wasting a lot of time? .... perhaps; I'm also learning a lot since this is all new to me and there are hundreds of settings buried in all the menus of both cameras and NVR. Playing around with things? ... most definitely and having fun with it.

I installed the NVR5216 update @EMPIRETECANDY provided (thanks!) and spent another couple of hours trying to learn how to get it all tuned in to what I wanted. No more IVS-triggered reboots since - yeah. The final piece turned out to be an NVR reboot, then things started working as planned (IVS tripwire events appeared to be triggering but weren't showing up in orange on the timeline). Everything is working OK now except SmartPSS still cannot view recorded NVR video (either it's not supposed to or I haven't figured it out yet). I'll do some more digging for info.

Thanks to the knowledge of everyone on the forum I am up and running. Am now moving on to install of cameras.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Over a month later and my Dahua NVR has been silently sitting in the closet recording all the cameras. No reboots yet. So it looks like the firmware upgrade solved the issue.

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Over a month later and my Dahua NVR has been silently sitting in the closet recording all the cameras. No reboots yet. So it looks like the firmware upgrade solved the issue.
Glad to hear..

Reaction score
Mine too. Been working flawlessly since the firmware update. The additional features/fixes are another bonus. Now able to set up IVS events on the NVR.

A big thanks to Andy for coming through and getting this firmware from Dahua.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agreed, incredible to get a firmware update for a consumer device like this!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A couple questions.

If I understand this.... The new firmware for the NVR stops reboots when IVS is being used.

Does this update solve missing frames when IVS is triggered?

Did you guys update firmware for each cameras. Is this step needed?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was just reviewing some of my footage to see if the guys in suits (looked like they were trying to sell something....idk) that I saw stop at my neighbors house also stopped at mine. They did not, but I noticed the last time I zoomed in my front door camera a bit that the top of my head was cut off if I was standing at the door. I moved it up a bit and redrew the tripwire (from the NVR) and a few minutes later the NVR rebooted with a code of 0x06a.

Going back through my logs I see most days there is no reboot, but a week ago I also got an abnormal reboot with the code 0x01. These are the only two reboots in the last 3 weeks. Any ideas?

Also on a side note, I've told the NVR to update the time every minute from an NTP server on my network. The NVR is not allowed Internet access as a rule I created on the router. Yet I see in the logs the time only synchronizes once a day, sometimes a few times a day. Any thoughts on that? Today, with the 0x06a reboot, it's synchronized 8 times. Usually its 0-2 times from the logs.