Dahua NVR remote assistance.

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am looking for someone to help me diagnose NVR setup problems. Via FaceTime or zoom etc. not looking for free. I would be happy to pay. In person even better but I am north of Toronto Canada.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Whats the issue? People here would be happy to help for free if you want to explain your problem to us.

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Omg, so hard to explain and people don't wanted to read a novel. Thats why I think it would be easier over zoom so they can see the screen.
I have a NVR 4816 POE (not 4K version but apparently up to 5mp compatible) that I brought from my last house. I have 3 cameras hooked up to it. 2 x IPC-T5442T-ZE (brand new) and 1 x HWD-5231 (used in last house)
When I hooked everything up the NVR went thru the initializing sequence. It loaded the preview of one of the T5442T’s. Then that error came up about over encode ability.
Now I have no previews. Can’t search for devices etc. might be a simple problem for a pro but a huge problem for me.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Factory reset everything and start over. If you plugged all the cameras in at the same time, you screwed yourself. They have to be plugged in one at a time and wait for the camera to be found before moving to the next.

Is your monitor capable of seeing the resolution the NVR is sending it?

After you factory reset, follow this:

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks!!! Yes. Hooked all 3 up at the same time. This is what I did in the last.
Using a 4K tv as the monitor. Did a factory reset, now I don’t know what is happening because the “hdmi 1” port on my tv is no longer discoverable. I don’t know if the NVR doesn’t put out a video signal while it resets and if so, for how long.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The reset can take a little bit, but while it is doing so, nothing is being sent via HDMI.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the NVR4 and old NVR4xxx or NVR4xxx-4KS2/L?

If you factory defaulted, reboot, and see do you hear a beep. If it beeps, its booting up. If it does not beep we may be in trouble.

I would not expect a 4K tv not accept a native resolution from a defaulted recorder. Try another HDMI cable if you arr hearing the beep on boot up

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok. Are you getting a beep on boot up? The recorder has no 4K output so any of the resolutions on there should work on the tv. If so, next step would be to web browse into the recorder and see if lowering display resolution gets it back on tv.

Regarding the overdecode. That recorder cannot initialise cameras so you would be right using config tool in your case. The cameras own default setting is probably far too high for the NVR. Usual culprit would be H.265 being enabled which is not compatible on your NVR or sub stream bit rate being at 1024kb. Lower this to 320-512, does not need to be higher

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. So it’s been factory reset and all my passwords and stuff set. One of the T5442T’s showed up. I switched the setting to H.264 and lowered the bit rate. That solved the overdecode ability issue. The other T5442T and the 5231 is not showing at all. Not searchable. I’ve pulled both cameras off their mounts to check connections. They are tight and of course, when I make a data cable I always test.
Logging into via pc is something I have never done. I don’t even have my pc hooked up yet. We just moved here.

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had a cheaper 2mp camera that I plugged into port 4 and boom. It’s up. Working. Idk.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to physically reset the cameras to factory default. There is a reset button located next to the SD card slot, under the little "hatch" held by two phillips screws. Open that "hatch" and hold the tiny button down for at least 30 seconds before releasing it. Agai, do this one camera at a time an let the NVR find the camera before proceeding to the next one.

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 5442 is brand new. The 5231 doesn’t have a hatch.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
But you had them plugged in previously. That means they could already be configured and that configuration doesn't match. What's the big deal to factory reset them? That will insure your NVR can see them properly, take control and set them up for use.

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No big deal. I can reset the one with the hatch. How do I reset the other one?

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And I dont think the new one was configured. It never showed up. It wasn’t searchable. But I will hold the button in. L

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Found reset button on 5231. No hatch but took 3 screws out of open camera. Held in for 30. Tried on 5442 as well. They are not coming up in the nvr. Idk. Back to my original post. I need professional help. I just want this to work.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Whats the firmware build date of this NVR? Ideally you should have june 2017 on it. This has the ability to "initialise" out of the box cameras which is the state we assume your ones are in. Basically the camera has no password on it. With the latest firmware for that model, it adds that function