Dahua NVR Selection Help Needed

Reaction score
I'm putting together a new system with one or two cameras. I recently ordered an IPC-HDW5231R-Z and might add another camera in the future. Seeing as I won't be needing more than a couple cameras I was thinking a NVR4104-4KS2 would do the job and still work if I wanted to upgrade to a future camera with more resolution. 4k starlight? :)

However, Andy at Empire suggested a NVR5208-4KS2 instead. Besides being currently stock I'm curious if there is a big reason to go with it over the NVR4104-4KS2. They seem to share a lot of the same specs.

Having the ability to add a second hard drive might be valuable although Dahua also has a NVR4208-4KS2. I guess I'm wondering what the pro series of NVRs has that the new lite series doesn't.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
get the 5208, big difference.. mainly: 80Mbps vs 320Mbps recording rates.. thats an easier limit than you think especially if you are liking the idea of a 4k starlight.

always buy a NVR 2x the size of your intentions; because its cheaper to pay a few extra bux today than hit the limits and be looking at purchasing whole nother unit.

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just ordered an NVR5216-4KS2, sadly Andy wasn't the lowest price but I expect to be buying some cameras from in the near future. I will certainly check in with impressions once it shows up, this will be my first NVR and I've got BlueIris running now to play with along with a single camera. I agree with NAYR to buy bigger than needed, the price delta was small.

Reaction score
I ended up going with the NVR5208-4KS2. Should do the job and hopefully still work well with the inevitable 4k starlight.

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I honestly wonder if there's any hardware differences between the 8 and 16 camera systems. When we both have our systems in hand it might be interesting to compare notes and look inside. I'm pretty sure I'll have the same number of hardware ports as your system, it would be interesting if we could flash one to support a greater number of cameras :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly wonder if there's any hardware differences between the 8 and 16 camera systems. When we both have our systems in hand it might be interesting to compare notes and look inside. I'm pretty sure I'll have the same number of hardware ports as your system, it would be interesting if we could flash one to support a greater number of cameras :)
Even if the hardware is the same you cannot manipulate it to handle more cams...The concept of charging for more channels has been around since day one...most vms software have a per channel charge regardless of the hardware..