Dahua NVR w/ built in POE to Blueiris

Marshall

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Summarized questions: How can I get the cameras connected to my Dahua NVR POE ports to be reachable by blue iris?

I am pretty certain the NVR model is NVR5216-16P-4KS2E

I have a 16 channel NVR, with 8 POE/8 non-POE ports on it. I have all (8 cameras) going into the POE ports, and then the LAN connection to go to my network connected to my router. The NVR is acting as it's own router and almost "firewalling" the cameras from my main network. It is assigning them to 10.1.1.x network, and my network is a 172.30.1.x network. I need to be able to reach these cameras from the 172 network so I can make blueiris work with them. Currently I cannot ping the cameras from the 172.30.1.x network side, even if I static my PC ip to the 10.1.1.x network. Is there a setting to change this and make the cameras communicate to blue iris by using the NVR POE ports?

My other thought is to have a computer with 2 network ports, have one connect to say port 16 on the NVR, and the other connect to my router. In theory this should get the blue iris PC to talk to the cameras, and then broadcast to the internet lan/wan using the second connection? Haven't tested this and not sure if the ports on an NVR work this way.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Summarized questions: How can I get the cameras connected to my Dahua NVR POE ports to be reachable by blue iris?

I am pretty certain the NVR model is NVR5216-16P-4KS2E

I have a 16 channel NVR, with 8 POE/8 non-POE ports on it. I have all (8 cameras) going into the POE ports, and then the LAN connection to go to my network connected to my router. The NVR is acting as it's own router and almost "firewalling" the cameras from my main network. It is assigning them to 10.1.1.x network, and my network is a 172.30.1.x network. I need to be able to reach these cameras from the 172 network so I can make blueiris work with them. Currently I cannot ping the cameras from the 172.30.1.x network side, even if I static my PC ip to the 10.1.1.x network. Is there a setting to change this and make the cameras communicate to blue iris by using the NVR POE ports?

My other thought is to have a computer with 2 network ports, have one connect to say port 16 on the NVR, and the other connect to my router. In theory this should get the blue iris PC to talk to the cameras, and then broadcast to the internet lan/wan using the second connection? Haven't tested this and not sure if the ports on an NVR work this way.
There are threads discussing how to hit the cameras directly or you can stream from the NVR itself. The best solution is to use a poe switch that way you are not reliant on the nvr at all

Marshall

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I figured that was an option but would prefer to use the built in POE ports since they're already paid for and will result in one less device. I did quite a bit of searching and none of them really clarified a long term solution for connection on you local network for the purpose of BI. it seems the only way is a dual network connection, with one hooked to the NVR camera ports and the second to the local network. This would also add bit a of security to the individual cameras if it's worth it to anyone.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
You do not need to use a different poe switch if you don't want, the NVR POE will work fine and will be stable.

You can also easily add cameras from an (ONVIF) nvr to BI, I do it all the time for clients. Leave the NVR on and set it to record continuously as a backup since I assume BI will be your primary NVR.

To add to Blue Iris you would use the local nvr ip and select the channel when adding in BI. Use the NVR address and not the Camara ip address.

Marshall

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh wow makes perfect sense. Thanks for this. All these cameras are fixed, but say if it was a PTZ, would using the NVR Onvif pass PTZ controls?

The only perk to the 2 NIC solution is reduced traffic on the local network side, but for 8 cameras that's probably not something to worry about. Thanks for the help!