Dahua NVR4104-P : Good choice? Hard Drive type?

dsutton

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

About to pull the trigger on my first IP cam and NVR purchase. Going to buy the highly recommended Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-Z, and then an NVR4104-P to go with it (don't need the 8-channel variant as I'll likely only ever have 2 cams).

Question: Is the 4104 a decent DVR? I'm looking to not spend too much, so I figured it would be a good choice. Any experience with it? Is there a better model in the $135 range?

Also, I noticed on the AliExpress page that the specs say: Hard drive Interface Type:USB, and then it says "Internal HDD: 1 SATA port up to 4TB"

So is it an internal hard drive (if so, a 3.5"?)? or does it need an external USB drive? Or will either work?

Thanks.

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
41xx are good home NVRs. I have tested 4108 POE and Non POE versions.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

dsutton

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Gonna buy but still not sure if i need a USB drive or an internal 2.5" or 3.5".

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
This is it in the 8 channel version. Looks like it takes a typical HD inside. Looks like it takes up to a 6tb HD. I wouldn't put anything less than a 3 or 4tb in there. Make sure it's a WD purple drive for best, most reliable results.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
New guy here, when you're all set up please follow up with a review of your install and your impressions on the unit Slowly working on a system for a new house we are building at years end.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
New guy here, when you're all set up please follow up with a review of your install and your impressions on the unit Slowly working on a system for a new house we are building at years end.
There are already a ton of reviews for these products on the forum. Spend a little time looking around and you'll find what ya need.

Your not going to get a better camera review than this thread: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

dsutton

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, about to embark on a new install with this NVR - just want to confirm that I don't need a POE switch, since the NVR has POE ports. Is there any other reason why I'd want a POE switch?