Difference dahua nvr with or without poe

Sander kerkhoff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am looking for a nvr for my 2 dahua Starlight cams. I see advice about using external Poe, and advices with built in Poe.

Whats the difference? I would say built in Poe is much easier and less cable?

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of the key differences is access to the camera's onboard menus. Some options can be configured through the NVR, but not all. If the cameras are on your network (via a Poe switch), the you can log into them by typing the IP address into a web page. If they are connected directly to the NVR (the Poe NVR), then you lose that access unless you jump through some additional hoops.

Re. It being less cable, not necessarily. I have 2 Poe switches with multiple cameras. It was easier and less cable to run to the switch location vs. to the NVR location.

Last edited:

Sander kerkhoff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. But the nvr has a network connection?
Or does it use its own iprange?

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. But the nvr has a network connection?
Or does it use its own iprange?
For the non-Poe NVR that I have, it is assigned an IP address on my network by the router, so it is just another connected device like a camera. As mentioned above, the Poe NVR is slightly different. The non-Poe version has one Ethernet port which lets it connect to the network and cameras.

Sander kerkhoff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, so the poe-nvr creates its own network in the poe-switch for the cameras with different ips then my home network?
But the NVR is accesible through the ip on the uplink port?

So, if i set my laptop to the same subnet as the cameras manually, then i should be able to connect to the cameras?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ok, so the poe-nvr creates its own network in the poe-switch for the cameras with different ips then my home network?
But the NVR is accesible through the ip on the uplink port?

So, if i set my laptop to the same subnet as the cameras manually, then i should be able to connect to the cameras?
Everything stated above is absolutely correct. Just make sure the laptop is plugged in to the POE ports.

SD

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last edited:

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a poe nvr. From my experience go with non poe nvr. Its an ease of use issue. The price difference between poe/non poe will cover the price of a switch.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Sander kerkhoff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok. Thats clear now.
I have two IPC-HDW5231R-Z that i want to record, i might get a third cam someday, but i will not get +4 cams. Just no need for that

So 4 port non poe would do fine.
What can you advice as nvr and separate poe switch?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Sander kerkhoff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lowest price on AliExpress is €325, thats a lot of money for recording only 2 cams.
Any other options?
What about the nvr4104?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lowest price on AliExpress is €325, thats a lot of money for recording only 2 cams.
Any other options?
What about the nvr4104?
Sure, I just have no experience with that one. Add hard drive and you're at $210 which is $100 less.

If you can live with the limited features, it surely will work fine. H.264 uses 2x amount of hard drive space for same frame rate.

SD

Last edited:

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok. Thats clear now.
I have two IPC-HDW5231R-Z that i want to record, i might get a third cam someday, but i will not get +4 cams. Just no need for that

So 4 port non poe would do fine.
What can you advice as nvr and separate poe switch?
I have the 4108p. Its a nice little nvr. It works with the smart features of the camera. The 4104 should suit you just fine. Get the biggest HD you can as it only holds 1.

Sander kerkhoff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a couple of 1tb spare disks. How long can i record with that with 2 cams?

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the 4108p. Its a nice little nvr. It works with the smart features of the camera. The 4104 should suit you just fine. Get the biggest HD you can as it only holds 1.

Im looking to a simular rig as sander kerkhoff but getting a little confused now as I was looking at NVR4104P but in the spec it states POE and h265.

NVR4104/4108/4116-P | Dahua Technology