Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 bricked?

prxchain

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a second-hand Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 and when I start it, it does not advance from the "dahua nvr 4.0" image.

I'm thinking this could be a firmware bug the previous owner had and was wondering how I could fix it.

I have seen that through the RS232 port I could access the boot and reload the firmware but it is not clear to me in the posts I have seen.

I have tried with a usb TTL adapter and with an rs232 to usb adapter but when configuring putty with the baudrate of 115200 strange characters always appear.

Any idea how I can proceed?

Thanks in advance

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
when configuring putty with the baudrate of 115200 strange characters always appear.
For both TTL serial and RS232? Presumably just the TTL serial, and nothing on RS232?

The device specs say it has an RS232 interface.
It's likely you will need a null modem cable to connect the RS232 interface to the DB9 connector on the device back panel.

prxchain

n3wb
Reaction score
For both TTL serial and RS232? Presumably just the TTL serial, and nothing on RS232?

The device specs say it has an RS232 interface.
It's likely you will need a null modem cable to connect the RS232 interface to the DB9 connector on the device back panel.
Yes, both. I have the rs232 male to usb cable and the dahua connector is also male so I am connecting the cables through other cables, GND, TX and RX (I have tried straight and crossed tx and rx).

I understand that for a null cable you will need a PC with a serial input, right? Right now I don't have access to any

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A USB to RS232 adaptor with the ability to swap RX and TX should work ok.
That's effectively what the null modem cable does, the regular cable will have RX to RX and TX to TX which wouldn't work.

The baud rate setting should normally be 115,200 but also try 9600 if that does not give readable characters.

prxchain

n3wb
Reaction score
A USB to RS232 adaptor with the ability to swap RX and TX should work ok.
That's effectively what the null modem cable does, the regular cable will have RX to RX and TX to TX which wouldn't work.

The baud rate setting should normally be 115,200 but also try 9600 if that does not give readable characters.
This is what I have

Screenshot.png

20230822_085749.jpg

20230822_090144.jpg

I have tried with 115200 and 9600, straight and crossed, in no case does it work correctly.

Could I have a fault in the cable? It would be weird because it's new

prxchain

n3wb
Reaction score
From what I can see in the images, you're making the right connections. Pins 2,3 for RX, TX and pin 5 for GND.
And using 8 bits no parity?

As a long shot, maybe try another serial terminal.
I've been happy with PuTTY against both RS232 and TTL serial adaptors.
yes, 8n1. I had tried to test with putty but I have not been able to get my windows to detect the seial adapter correctly (maybe it is faulty?)