Features:
H.265/H.264/MJPEG/MPEG4 codec decoding
Max 320Mbps incoming bandwidth
Up to 12Mp resolution preview&playback
HDMI/VGA simultaneous video output
3D intelligent positioning with Dahua PTZ camera

Product/Specs link:
NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2 | Dahua Technology

I have one ordered and it's on the way. The model I ordered is one without the PoE which is NVR5216-4KS2.

After searching in this forum, I didn't see a discussion thread for this model so I thought I would start one here.

The main reason I ordered this is because it supposedly support the IVS features in cameras. The NVR does not do the IVS but will understand the signal coming from a camera with IVS. Also I wanted one with alarm in/out to help improve the motion detect by adding a PIR to it if IVS isn't that all perfect.

On alarm out, I plan to either add a flashing strobe light or a Z-Wave toggle switch to send command to the Hub which will flash the lights in house that on the Z-Wave.

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want to get IO out from NVR into your Z-Wave network you can always use a contact switch like this: Amazon.com : Ecolink Intelligent Technology Z-Wave Easy Install, Battery Operated, White & Brown (DWZWAVE2-ECO) : Camera & Photo

they have dry contacts you can wire directly up to the NVR, and these can directly trigger lights via grouping so reaction time is nice and quick.

Thank you for the advice, it will save me time looking for a contact switch to z-wave. Do you have one those contact switch that uses Z-wave if so, how long does the battery last on it before it need replacing?

Bill

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, depends on how often it is triggered.. the one in my mailbox outside lasts over a year with a couple triggers a day

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am alo interested in a nvr from this series. The extra price you pay on top of a 4xxx series seems not too much indeed. You get more bandwidth for recording and dewarping from the series of 360 degree lenses.

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am alo interested in a nvr from this series. The extra price you pay on top of a 4xxx series seems not too much indeed. You get more bandwidth for recording and dewarping from the series of 360 degree lenses.
I am also very interested in this series primarily for the IVS functions

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the 4xxx supports ivs on camera's. ivs support for non ivs cameras is only supported in the next up series, and than only for 2 ivs functions, so one camera with 2 ivs functions or 2 cameras with 1 ivs function each. Where a function is than cross line or in- or exit-box for example.

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have ordered the new Starlight cameras that have the IVS function. But I guess I just like higher end stuff and I hate locking myself out of new features. Especially if it only costs about $100 more. I will probably order one of these with either 8 or 16 POE ports.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I have ordered the new Starlight cameras that have the IVS function. But I guess I just like higher end stuff and I hate locking myself out of new features. Especially if it only costs about $100 more. I will probably order one of these with either 8 or 16 POE ports.
When I did research and calculate how much saving I would save if I went with NVR that does not support IPC with IVS. I would have only saved about 30-40 dollars and the lesser NVR would have dual core processor that may or may not support H.265/264 decoding which is way less than $100.

By spending around $30-$40 dollars more, you could get a Quad core processor NVR that have unlimited support to IPC with IVS features.

Also in my research on choosing a NVR, only NVR4216-16P will support up to four IPC with IVS. The NVR4216-16P-4KS2 does have a Quad core processor which supposedly have supported IPC with IVS but recent firmware have removed that feature. And in the comparison chart that we can see it no longer support IPC with IVS.

That what lead me to make the decision of purchasing this 5216 instead of trying to save 30-40 dollars.

Bill

P.S. I got a recorded call from DHL informing me that I will be receiving the package on Dec 20th and someone would need to be there to sign for the package. I know it the NVR5216 and my new Starlight IPC. Thank you Andy!! Your the best!

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I did research and calculate how much saving I would save if I went with NVR that does not support IPC with IVS. I would have only saved about 30-40 dollars and the lesser NVR would have dual core processor that may or may not support H.265/264 decoding which is way less than $100.

By spending around $30-$40 dollars more, you could get a Quad core processor NVR that have unlimited support to IPC with IVS features.

Also in my research on choosing a NVR, only NVR4216-16P will support up to four IPC with IVS. The NVR4216-16P-4KS2 does have a Quad core processor which supposedly have supported IPC with IVS but recent firmware have removed that feature. And in the comparison chart that we can see it no longer support IPC with IVS.

That what lead me to make the decision of purchasing this 5216 instead of trying to save 30-40 dollars.

Bill

P.S. I got a recorded call from DHL informing me that I will be receiving the package on Dec 20th and someone would need to be there to sign for the package. I know it the NVR5216 and my new Starlight IPC. Thank you Andy!! Your the best!
Ordered one myself with POE. Here's what i got from vendor.

Attachments

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well for $40 that makes it a no brainer. Going to order one up with some POE ports. After all we are talking about a piece of equipment that will in theory help defend my house, and hopefully help identify the idiots that keep breaking into my wife's car.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think when it is time I will order a NVR5416-4KS2, This because the 4 hdd version have 16 alarm inputs, and the 2 hdd version only 4..
I fear I will need more than 4..
This at BEC 428 euro. Much more expensive unfortunately.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I hooked up my 5231 cam to the NVR5216 but I am getting a "The account has been locked" message ... Hrmmm ...

I couldn't find a way to update password before adding camera in the NVR5216 so I added it and as expected it gave me incorrect password then I modify the camera setting with the correct password which bring up the new message "locked".

I guess it have a brute force lock on the camera.....

Searching for answer but if anyone knows .. feel free to post here how to fix it.

Thank you
Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
restart the camera and it'll clear the lock; yes.. multiple failed logins will lock an account; and software like a NVR or SmartPSS will pretty much lock em right away.

personally I create a NVR specific login that only it ever uses so this dont happen, and I dont get locked out.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
restart the camera and it'll clear the lock; yes.. multiple failed logins will lock an account; and software like a NVR or SmartPSS will pretty much lock em right away.

personally I create a NVR specific login that only it ever uses so this dont happen, and I dont get locked out.
Thank you ... restarting the NVR fixes it but I suppose restarting camera also will fix it too.

I am looking to see if there a default username and password setting in the NVR to apply to all cameras. I just turn the NVR for the first time an hour ago so I haven't explore all the settings yet.

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am stuck at the IVS setting on NVR. This does have a IVS menu but when I entered the IVS setting, it give me an camera not support IVS configuration error.

I went to the camera setting menu ad the Manufacturer it selected is "Private" I don't see a Dahua anywhere in the drop down menu hrmmm ...

The camera does have IVS and I already selected IVS in the camera configuation menu over the face detection since it seem you can only choose one or the other. I am guessing to the camera processor limitation of not able to do both.

Anyone here able to configure camera IVS via NVR menu?

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Private is Dahua, thats right..

on my NVR there was an option hidden, only accessable via OSD that had to be checked to enable IVS functionality on NVR.. Do you have a monitor/mouse plugged in? might explore that.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Private is Dahua, thats right..

on my NVR there was an option hidden, only accessable via OSD that had to be checked to enable IVS functionality on NVR.. Do you have a monitor/mouse plugged in? might explore that.
Yes I have both monitor and mouse plugged into it and exploring it.

But I have another issue which I just sent a message to Andy about. I brought two 5231 cameras and one of them is not accepting the default username and password. Even the log in menu looks different from my other 5231. The paper that came with it have the username and password as admin admin on both camera but one is not accepting it and warning me that it going to lock me out on two more tries ..

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
It all hooked together on my desk right now ... I am grabbing my other camera I got last week to make sure it working with default username and password too since I haven't tried powering it up yet.

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I have both monitor and mouse plugged into it and exploring it.

But I have another issue which I just sent a message to Andy about. I brought two 5231 cameras and one of them is not accepting the default username and password. Even the log in menu looks different from my other 5231. The paper that came with it have the username and password as admin admin on both camera but one is not accepting it and warning me that it going to lock me out on two more tries ..

Bill

Whoops .. MY bad!!! The cameras are using default username and password. I just tried to log in the wrong ip addressing ...

It working great :)

Bill