Dahua NVR5232-4KS2 - anything I should know?

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking to buy a Dahua NVR, looked at the 4 series 4K but the 5 series 4K isn't much more expensive and claims to be able to handle higher bitrates. Do NOT need 32 cameras, likely not even 8, but the prices between them are little enough that I might as well - unless that can cause issues? Any reason to go with the 4 series? Starting in a few hours there will be a "Singles Day" buying day in China and Aliexpress vendors look to be teeing up for it and I'm waiting for it :) Thoughts before I pull the trigger? I may still use BlueIris alongside but was wanting something more appliance-like I think. This would be my first NVR, I'll be populating it with Dahua cameras.

DaHua 4K Video Surveillance NVR NVR5208 4KS2 NVR5216 4KS2 NVR5232 4KS2 8/16/32 Channels H.265-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
confirm it has IVS, it says in the description it has dewarping and IVS features.. but the spec sheet conveniently left those out.

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
only if i put the right firmware on it will it support IVS

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm going to hijack your thread a bit because I'm looking at getting the same DVR, Do you guys have luck with ali express? Seems a little questionable.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ive had no problems personally with purchasing off AliExpress

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've purchased from Ali a couple of times form various vendors, no issues. People are people and some will try to rip you off anywhere but in general I've found that the vendors on Aliexpress are just trying to sell a product and make a living. Language barrier can sometimes be a PITA but most things can be worked out. At least one of the vendors posts here and is helpful but his prices weren't quite low enough for me on this item, I'll be buying cameras from him though :)

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What about firmware? Seems I keep reading about people buying from china and having issues with not being able to update firmware.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it dont matter; because leave the damn firmware alone unless its broken.

and your thinking of hikvision, all my dahuas have had no problems updating.. even put a chinese language firmware on one and then switched it back to english, was easy if you know what your doing.

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, do you guys know if the POE ports in the back act like a regular port. As in all your cameras feed into a switch and then you uplink the switch to one of the POE ports? As in, say, 16 cameras end up connected to one port. Just thinking it would be nice to have the NVR as a roadblock between my actual network and the cameras, although I can think of some downsides to that too.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the PoE ports are safe for non-poe devices if thats what your asking; it wont damage them.. power should only be applied if a compliant PoE device is plugged into the other side; otherwise it wont power the pins.

I dunno if they are GigE ports or FastEthernet on the back; if they are FastEthernet, which is likely as IP Cameras dont need GigE individually, however you wont have the bandwidth to handle 16 IP Cameras on a single uplink.

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yea knew that x2, more just a question of will it accept more than one feed/camera/address per port, or for some reason only takes 1 (no vendors I asked seem to know the answer).

I mean it might even just act exactly like a switch with interconnection to the lan port and this whole question would be moot.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its just a simple poe switch, with an internal GigE uplink to a actual network interface.. they dont put 16 network interfaces on it

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, then it would take multiple cams per port, but it's effectively no different then an external switch with the cameras and router on it, connected to the lan port. So no real reason to buy the POE version since it's less available and I don't need it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
pretty much the same conclusion I came too; built in PoE is for KISS setups.. plug it in and go, if you can setup a network and get devices on it your self; and want more flexibility overall.. then it has more going against it then it has going for it.. especially if you ever decide to plug-in a 3rd party camera, because the NVR wont configure those directly and you wont be able to reach its WebUI over built in PoE.. so changing settings will take some creative networking.

just an example; poe wifi access points are awesome; high speed 5GHz works so much better when you install it on the celling in the middle of your living room, instead of tucking it in a cabinet in the office.. I have 3 access points running low power in my 1500sqft house (and one more outside); I can get 300Mbps+ anywhere.. so consider a PoE Switch thats GigE instead of FastEthernet; you may need it.

Last edited:

Daybreak

n3wb
Reaction score
Howdy,
OK, I guess I will explain what it is...
Dahua NVR with POE and without. A NVR that is 16 cameras or higher. The built in 16 10/100 POE switch can be addressed from the NVR (configured ) Each port supports 1 camera only. The built in switch works like any other switch out there. Plug a regular notebook in, and it works fine. Plug a POE device in and it will receive POE power. The unit also has 1 gig port. The gig port is fully addressable as well. This is where your additional cameras (32 camera system or higher) will connect to your additional POE switch.
The Dahua NVR with NO built in POE switch simply has 2 gig ports. You simply add you own POE switches.

New owner of a Dahua dhi-nvr 5832-16p-4ks2 for about 2 weeks now. Also, 8tb drives work great

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The non-poe NVR only have two ports? I'm surprised but I guess I can work with that fine so long as they're able to be on two subnets. I've ordered mine so I guess I'll be learning about it soon enough - appreciate the repsone though as I was really curious!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR only supports 320Mbps of video; so a single GigE port at 1000Mbps is more than adequate..