Dahua NVR5232-El playback lagging

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a nvr5232-el with 15 cams (4k and 4mp) and 2 hdd (3tb and 8tb 5400rpm)
The playbacks seem very jerky and laggy, very often a few seconds are lost between an IVS event and normal recording.
the same problem exists even if I play directly from the NVR (no smartpss or webgui)
I thought the cause was one of the two recently added hdds (the 8tb one).
They are not in raid, but are placed in the same disk group, but I don't understand how the nvr handles this:
both HDDs are recording, I thought instead that it would fill one and then continue with the other.
Below you will find some photos indicating my settings
Thank you all!

Attachments

Last edited:

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Man...
For 15 4k/4mp cams two old 5400rpm disks are too slooowwwww... Especially old construction like 3/8tb...

All modern Surveillance disk (Skyhawk, Skyhawk AI, WD Purple HD) are 7200 RPM and are optimized for AI read requests very well.
Old disk firmware were optimized mostly for writes.

Change those disks to something modern/bigger (3+8tb for 15 4k/4mp cams???)..
Your previous problems with private protocol locking for a few minutes after some crazy many IVS video watching/skipping can also be from slow HDD.

ps. in normal mode of operation, all disk in Dahua NVR are formatted as one group. Then NVR records all streams (cams) on first HDD for some time (hour), then switch to second one for another time (hour?) - in 99% use cases only one HDD is used at time and the rest are sleeping..

You can split HDDs into separate groups and assign half cameras to group (disk) 1 and half cameras to group (disk) 2.
Or any other way depending of needs or storage use (different HDD sizes, different bandwith used by cams)..

In this situation all disk will be used in parallel, half cameras will use space and BANDWITH from first disk, half from second..
Also when one HDD will fail, You are loosing only recording from half cameras (not all).

This is way how Dahua NVR storage should be configured in bigger systems!!!

Most people don't known about this..

Last edited:

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
[CITAZIONE="steve1225, post: 860746, membro: 98919"]
Vale anche la pena controllare lo stato SMART di tutti gli HDD...
c'è il rischio che vengano contati molti errori..
[/CITAZIONE]
Screenshot 2024-07-04 212450.png

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Very high Current value for Read Error rate (so disk can't read data) and Seek Error Rate (so even it can't find data location on disk)..

those disks are toasted..

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very high Current value for Read Error rate (so disk can't read data) and Seek Error Rate (so even it can't find data location on disk)..

those disks are toasted..
The 3TB one is a few years old, but it is a 5900rpm Seagate Skyhawk, the other a 5200rpm Seagate Barracuta. You can check directly with the code on SMART.
So you think it's definitely a HDD problem? Previously, only with the 3TB one did the problem not arise

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Only SkyHawk/SkyHawk AI or WD Purple..

I like WD Purple because they are more silent.
But SkyHawk have support for extra health reporting in HIK/Dahua NVR's...

But for me classic S.M.A.R.T data is enough...

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Only SkyHawk/SkyHawk AI or WD Purple..

I like WD Purple because they are more silent.
But SkyHawk have support for extra health reporting in HIK/Dahua NVR's...

But for me classic S.M.A.R.T data is enough...
OK thank you! so maybe this is why the 3tb model didn't cause problems? that's a skyhawk

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK thank you! so maybe this is why the 3tb model didn't cause problems? that's a skyhawk
Both are toast..
You have bigger system (15 4k/4mp cams + modern AI NVR) - there is no worth to try cheap on old HDD..
You want system which will work correctly hidden somewhere in closet for next 5 years..

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, what do you think of the following model ST16000VE002 ? it is 16tb skyhawk ai, and on the datasheet of my nvr I read that it supports up to 16tb