Dahua NVRs Security issues

Jellyfish

n3wb
Reaction score
Newby here looking to do a DIY install and thinking about getting either a Dahua or Hiksvision NVR and, for starters, two or three cams. I was looking at a thread from a year or two ago at another site that said that Dahua NVRs had some issues with the security of the passwords and other security issues. Does this problem still exist with the Dahua equipment?

Also, keeping in mind that I'm pretty much of a beginner when it comes to electronics, which of these company's NVRs do you think would be easiest to install? Just as a reference point, I was thinking of getting something like the Dahua 4208 NVR--in that price range and with about eight +/- PoE ports.

Finally, will the cams from these manufacturers operate with the other's NVRs? I read somewhere that a few years ago the Dahua NVRs would record cams from other makers but would not do motion detection.

Jellyfish

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone maybe wanna throw in their two cents here? Earlier today I looked at an ad for the Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P on a vendor's website. It sounds like it might be a good alternative to the Dahua 4208? any thoughts or opinions on pros and cons of either one?[h=1][/h]

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone maybe wanna throw in their two cents here? Earlier today I looked at an ad for the Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P on a vendor's website. It sounds like it might be a good alternative to the Dahua 4208? any thoughts or opinions on pros and cons of either one?
They are both good. Many here use both...
Note that the NVR's with built in poe are noisy..consider the location you are placing them in...
While you can generally use hikvsion cameras on dahua NVR's (and i believe vice versa) nothing is guaranteed...and you may have motion detection issues..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMHO nobody makes a NVR, or IP Camera with good enough security to put directly on the internet.. dont let that be the deciding factor. Secure the network and its a moot point.

Pick your NVR based off the cameras you want, if you go with Dahua cameras get a dahua NVR.. Same with Hikvision... Mixing and matching rarely works well.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your tossed up between the two brands, see if you can install smart PSS for dahua and ivms for hikvisoin. Feel around the software and see what you feel most comfortable with. Also, install the apps on your smartphone and see which one you like. The quality of each brand is pretty much equal on both the NVR and their cameras. I install hikvision at work and Dahua on my own time. I like Dahua's smart PSS and the phone app better, so I chose Dahua. And I can get both brands at my distributor, but Dahua comes out just a tid bit less money wise also.

Jellyfish

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the help and suggestions, guys. Sorta leaning toward Hikvision 8-channel NVR (probably one without POE ports) right now because I think their cams would suit my purposes better. I've got a lot more questions but was wondering if you have any suggestions on where to find a good vendor. I'm probably going to need the seller's support on the set-up and maintenance, so buying from China doesn't sound too good. Also, i don't want to mess around with firmware changes, so a seller here in the US selling USA based firmware is probably my best bet, right? I've seen posts with several vendors mentioned (Nelly's, Wrightwood….) but not sure about the firmware and they don't seem to have the model(s) without ports. Anyone want to weigh in on these concerns and/or maybe recommend a seller?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the help and suggestions, guys. Sorta leaning toward Hikvision 8-channel NVR (probably one without POE ports) right now because I think their cams would suit my purposes better. I've got a lot more questions but was wondering if you have any suggestions on where to find a good vendor. I'm probably going to need the seller's support on the set-up and maintenance, so buying from China doesn't sound too good. Also, i don't want to mess around with firmware changes, so a seller here in the US selling USA based firmware is probably my best bet, right? I've seen posts with several vendors mentioned (Nelly's, Wrightwood….) but not sure about the firmware and they don't seem to have the model(s) without ports. Anyone want to weigh in on these concerns and/or maybe recommend a seller?
Nellys sells US region cameras, they provide their own warranty and support as they are not an authorized hikvision vendor - they will provide top notch service and support..they are a site sponsor here....most authorized vendors aside from BandH photo will not sell to end users...
See this thread as well http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/257-Good-source-to-buy-IP-items-at