Dahua or Hikvision NVR with other brand ONVIF Cameras Motion Detection

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All - I am trying to figure out if I want to go with an Dahua or Hikvision NVR however either way I would like to be able to cross use camera and use motion detection recording. So with that said I have been doing research and it appears the the motion detection can be setup on the camera and the NVR would record when motion detection is alarmed, I just can't setup the motion detection on the NVR itself unless I am using the same brand camera is that correct? Or am I up the creek without a pedal on motion detection without the same name brand NVR and Camera?

Thanks in adavnce

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Some work some dont...its a crap shoot...a firmware update can screw everything up...its best to simply not mix and match...

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some work some dont...its a crap shoot...a firmware update can screw everything up...its best to simply not mix and match...
Well geez.. thanks lol I was hoping to be able to mix and match cameras to go some playing around oo well, i guess then the best route to go would be blueiris for my NVR? I have a j2900 intel processor PC with 8gb of ram think that will be enough to handle 2 to 4 cameras? looking at the Hikvision 2032s or the Dahua 4300.

thanks again @fenderman

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@spyfly81 The best route depends on what you are looking for...a standalone nvr is more stable and is simple to setup...Blue iris has WAY more options.. I doubt you could run more than 2 3mp cameras on the j2900 it is a very weak processor...Users have been successful crossing the cameras an NVR's...you might want to find some posts with folks doing this to see what they are doing....

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman, I really just want to test a few cameras out, however it appears the hikvision cameras are the way to go as the dahua seems to be more of a white label camera and harder to get firmware for (granted I am not a firmware upgrader), but it does seem that the dahua NVRs are a touch more powerful. I currently have a specotech analog system with 6 cameras that are 650tv lines all bullet, 4 outside and 2 inside and I would like to move over to IP cameras due to HD images. At my work and at my house just a junky lorex wireless system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I too prefer the hikvisions...its a personal preference...some prefer the dahuas...remember that in general 1.3mp cameras will have better night an low light vision than the 3mp cams...the 3mp will be fine if you have some ambient light...

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Both brands are so similar in quality, why would you even want to test both out? People choose one brand over the other either because of cosmetics of the camera, or the software layout. I install hikvision at work, and I install dahua on my own on the weekends. I feel Dahua is a has a better software/gui/mobile app over hikvison, but hikvision has a 'slightly' better image. Dahua still has a great image, so I still use Dahua. Hikvision has a better US support, but I have 2 distributors that are both local to me that give me tech support and warranty if I ever need it. And lastly, I just prefer a standalone NVR over a PC in a heartbeat. PC's are not meant to run 24/7 and get viruses. Manufacturers have spent tons of money designing something that will run 24/7 and do what you need to be done. That is my .02

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I'm correct, residential machines aren't meant to run 24/7 but business class machines are. Fenderman had helped me in this department. For the price of an nvr, I can purchase HP business class machines with 3yr warranties for customers whom may want a computer based system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I'm correct, residential machines aren't meant to run 24/7 but business class machines are. Fenderman had helped me in this department. For the price of an nvr, I can purchase HP business class machines with 3yr warranties for customers whom may want a computer based system.
I have machines that are running for 3 years at 50% cpu with zero issues..Business class is always better, but heck, i have a lenovo consumer grade laptop running nonstop for about 3 years without a hiccup...paid 225 for that refurbished with a sandy bridge cpu (when sandy was the newest available)...
That said vector is doing residential installs..the NVR is the way to go...blue iris is nice if the end user is technical and/or wants tons of options (more precise motion detection and alerts)...but for simple recording and reliability...

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@vector18 what hikvision NVRs do you like? Why do you install dahua gear on weekends? some type of non-compete?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I only install hikvision for my boss cause I have to. I don't even know the model number they use. Once it's on the network, I have the IT guy in the office log in remotely and he does everything. As I mentioned earlier, I prefer dahua software and layout, that's why I install dahua on my own time on the weekends.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@vector18 do you have any issues getting dahua gear with english language on them? I guess its all about the personally preference, i do feel like the dahua gear has more camera options and a little better NVRs, but like other have said the hikvision cameras are easier to deal with when doing firmware upgrades and needing support/warranty

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Spyfly, I have two distributors that sell dahua locally close to my home that gives me firmware, technical support, and warranty. The Dahua items that I also purchase from China, all come with English on them. Hikvision has a headquarters in the US that dealers can call for their needs, dahua does not have a US headquarters. I haven't found out for a fact, but I'm leaning towards that Dahua is more of a manufacturer, and does not want to deal with distributing or tech support. I feel that they sell products to hikvision, qsee, icrealtime, and many other brands. Than, those brands install their own firmware and what not. I could be wrong, but that's how I feel. And, like I said, I just like the dahua software PSS and I like their mobile apps over the hikvision software and mobile app, that's why I use dahua for my own personal jobs.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For the most part, either the 3mp eyeballs, or the 3mp turrets.

Reaction score
vector18 I'm tring to choose a Dahua NVR system to run 16 cameras 15fps 2-3 mp what NVR would you install and what do you compare my goal is to get better night vision incase I ever need to capture a face?? record rate, incoming bandwidth how do I compare one model benefits to another I would like to stay under $800 for the NVR