Dahua poor auto tracking - What am I doing wrong?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Sunba camera is a complete bust.

It's missing a ton of features that the Hikvision has.

1) No face, human, or vehicle detection.
2) IR controls for IR level, exposure compensation, etc completely missing.
3) Detection types can only be done for a single preset each. For instance, Intrusion can only be used with Preset 50!!! This also means that you can't mix any Smart Events with Scheduled Tasks.

But the two biggest things are the deal killer for me.

1) The camera can't zoom in on objects that are receding. Sunba says they can and haven't yet figured out why mine can't.
2) The camera can't tilt above the horizon. It's physically able to but Sunba says they limit it in software because it messes up the tracking algorithm which I guess means their tracking algorithm is not really Hikvisions.

So I guess I have to agree with the amazon reviewer that called this a "mash up" "not ready for prime time".

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Why you are not getting a Hikvision, if you are happy with that camera?
I personally I bought mine as a toy, to look around when I want to.
Other cameras record everything, what is going on in front of my house, even licence plates.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can anyone who has the Dahua tracking well post their firmware? I'm wondering if I have bad build at the time of manufacturing. Maybe I need to upgrade?

My current firmware is:

Device Type DH-SD59225U-HNI
System Version V2.800.0000000.5.R.E4.2512.3S.NR, Build Date: 2019-08-27
WEB Version V3.2.1.780791
PTZ Version V2.301.0000000.22.RHNT_190923_33333
Device Type SD52C225U-HNI
System Version 2.622.0000000.5.R.E4.2512.3S.NR, Build Date: 2017-12-28
PTZ Version 3.04.5.RHNP_170613_22963

Not sure if that ptz firmware is compatible but mine works well. I use mine indoors though it may be worth a shot.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why you are not getting a Hikvision, if you are happy with that camera?
I personally I bought mine as a toy, to look around when I want to.
Other cameras record everything, what is going on in front of my house, even licence plates.
Cost. How much are DS-2DF8236I-AEL new? I have two of them. I want to upgrade 4 of my 22 cameras to something that can track decently.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FYI, the Sunba's tracking is rock solid. It just doesn't ever zoom in.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@sorka - well if you with Hik PTZs couldn't figure out the Sunba with Hik internals, I guess it really isn't ready for prime time yet.

Can you post a tracking video? I wonder why it isn't zooming in.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@sorka - well if you with Hik PTZs couldn't figure out the Sunba with Hik internals, I guess it really isn't ready for prime time yet.

Can you post a tracking video? I wonder why it isn't zooming in.
Hivision is first. Dahua second half of video. Same event.

The sunba tracks better than the dahua but it just can't zoom in.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@sorka - wow - that Sunba is rock solid on auto track! If that baby could zoom in, I could live with the other issues you found! But under the right circumstances that could also be sufficient.

Certainly much better than the Dahua you tried and the ones my neighbors are currently evaluating.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, to be fair, the hardware is very nice. The PTZ is super fast and the image quality at night...even in color is very good. Rivals the Hikvision in those regards. If you're looking for a good quality PTZ camera, this is a good choice if it retains the reliability that my previous Sunba's have had.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sunba has told me they are making a firmware change to allow upward tilt and will be sending me a new motherboard that fixes the zooming behavior. I think other customers must have had similar issues.

They're also going to ad the missing exposure limit setting that is in the Hikvision but missing from the Sunba menu.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@sorka - I have always had good customer service with Sunba - if it is something they can address, they seem willing to do so.

Hopefully you get that part soon as I would love to see the revised Sunba in action!

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another bug. If you activate a tracking preset, the camera will not return to Park until until a tracking event occurs and finishes. Only then will the park action happen after the specified time.

Hikvision has the same issue but support says it's not a bug and that I should use "Scheduled Tasks" instead which is what I use on my Hikvision cameras. Hopefully Sunba can fix this too. There are three other items they say they will have their Hikvision partner engineer add over the next week. If they can actually move that quickly it will be impressive.

So far the tracking is about 95% successful so about as good as the Hikvision in tracking reliability. We'll see if that stays that high after they fix the tilt up and zoom issue.

For tilting up, I'm hacking that currently by mounting the camera so that on the cul-de-sac side, it's titled up about 4 degrees. Since the 180 degree breezeway preset is already pointing downwards, it doesn't limit me there. Long term this is not a good solution since the dome is not balanced and will wear much faster being loaded at an angle vs neutral.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So the ebay seller for the Dahua asked me to make my camera available through Team Viewer and give them a time that Dahua could get online and mess with my camera through my PC at home.

I'm not willing to do that. But I did place it on it's on VLAN that has access to the outside world but nothing else within my network and port forwarded to it. I added a temporary admin login for them.

The seller messages me this morning and says they were able to login to the camera but couldn't download the plugin and she asked me to install the plugin. That makes no sense since I already have the plugin installed on my PC at home which is already a big enough risk.

Even if they couldn't download the plugin directly from the camera they'd already have the plugin on their own PCs since they ARE Dahua. Something doesn't smell right here.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@sorka - yeah, they would need the plug in on their computer since they are remoting in to the camera directly?

Michael Diehl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just for giggles try setting the Max target size a bit larger or a bit smaller if the max size is using the full image.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just for giggles try setting the Max target size a bit larger or a bit smaller if the max size is using the full image.
Interesting thought. So currently the IVS smart even intrusion size max was the frame and minimum was 0x0 so basically everything. I turned down max and gave it a minimum that is about the smallest I need to detect at a distance.

Note the same failure rate occurs if you don't use IVS plans and just set intelligent tracking on in the global settings.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@sorka - I have been helping my neighbor try to set his new Dahua PTZ up and experience the same poor auto tracking. We tried every combination of Max and min size to no avail.

Going crazy with adding lots of trip wires has increased the success a little, but still not near your Hik or Sunba that you are trying.

Reaction score
Have you been successful getting it to work with bi5? I'm having trouble getting the ptz function to work